Happenings

I was at last year's "Yappy Hour" and it was a great party -- Connolly's was full! No idea where all those people came from, but it was a cool mix of ages and professions; all dog lovers, I guess. Saw a lot of people I knew and met some new ones. I'll definitely go back. And as I recall, the silent auction had some really great items. Plus, it's a great cause, and in this heat, nice to have a "Downtown Alive meets Main St. Jazz" kind of event in the a/c!

I missed last year, but heard it was great. I'll be there this year. See you there. :thumbsup:

The BMW Z car homecoming (annual event) is this coming weekend. The Embassy Suites hotel at Verdae will be the host hotel this year. If you want to see hundreds of Z's lined up, the traditional panoramic photo of all the cars will be on Saturday at 10:00 AM on the front lawn at the BMW plant.

Article with weekend details from the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../708280345/1003

Not sure if it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I just noticed that the City of Greenville is having a meeting tonight to discuss the growth of the city. Based on the article, the meeting's focus seems to be around the developing urban core along I-85.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...6/1003/BUSINESS

They want public input, and also provided a link to the Plan-it Greenville site:

http://www.planitgreenville.com/

I think the first step needs to center around creating an identity for Greenville's urban core along I-85, between Laurens Road and Woodruff Road. In order to give it a real sense of place, it needs a name. How about uptown? Regardless of the name decided upon, I think that is a vital first step. That way, everything that follows will refer to that area by its proper name rather than "along I-85." Once city leaders, as well as developers and media, begin referring to it by name, we will see people talking about it and wanting to be a part of it. Then signage can be developed to better market the area. What about a walking bridge across I-85 (or along other busy streets) to bridge gaps within the area? And of course, mass transit connecting it to downtown would be essential. I can definitely see people hopping on a light rail train or even bus rapid transit to go from one place to the next while enjoying Greenville's nightlife.

I hope some of you guys can make it to the meeting tonight from 6:30-8:00 pm at Hughes Library (at Heritage Green). :thumbsup:

Isn't the definition of uptown "a business district away from the central business district of a city"? Buckhead in Atlanta would be a prime example.

I don't know the exact definition of "uptown," but if you are correct then wouldn't the area along I-85 between Laurens and Woodruff be our uptown? Doesn't that also make sense, given the fact that the Haywood area is unofficially referred to by some as midtown?

Not sure if it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I just noticed that the City of Greenville is having a meeting tonight to discuss the growth of the city. Based on the article, the meeting's focus seems to be around the developing urban core along I-85.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...6/1003/BUSINESS

They want public input, and also provided a link to the Plan-it Greenville site:

http://www.planitgreenville.com/

I think the first step needs to center around creating an identity for Greenville's urban core along I-85, between Laurens Road and Woodruff Road. In order to give it a real sense of place, it needs a name. How about uptown? Regardless of the name decided upon, I think that is a vital first step. That way, everything that follows will refer to that area by its proper name rather than "along I-85." Once city leaders, as well as developers and media, begin referring to it by name, we will see people talking about it and wanting to be a part of it. Then signage can be developed to better market the area. What about a walking bridge across I-85 (or along other busy streets) to bridge gaps within the area? And of course, mass transit connecting it to downtown would be essential. I can definitely see people hopping on a light rail train or even bus rapid transit to go from one place to the next while enjoying Greenville's nightlife.

I hope some of you guys can make it to the meeting tonight from 6:30-8:00 pm at Hughes Library (at Heritage Green). :thumbsup:

Thanks for this info Greenville. :thumbsup: I was out of town and just got back in this morning. Did any of you guys attend?

Thanks for this info Greenville. :thumbsup: I was out of town and just got back in this morning. Did any of you guys attend?

Yes, my wife and I attended. I meet another Urban Planet person there as well as a few other people I have meet a local networking meetings. Knox White opened up the meeting and introduced a group of students from Clemson who are involved with the city planning project. A good part of the time was involved in filling out at survey about the future of the city and current concerns. Attendes were given the opportunity to sign up for focus groups and Publix provided snacks, drinks and cake.

This is a great event guys!!! The National Symphony will play at The Peace Center in Feb. 2008, as part of their decision to make South Carolina the site of their 2008 American Residency. They should be playing in multiple locations around the state as well. Article from the Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70911018

Art in the Park is Sept. 15 & 16th

Also, I saw in Greenville News that they are unveiling a sculpture in Canine Corner in Cleveland Park. Link to article. Surely, that is a typo re: the 54 foot?? :lol:

54'...that thing is going to be huge... :P ....i hope that's a typo

i think it would be better if they put a large fire hydrant right in the middle of it.... :lol:

Greenville will do something tasteful.

I'm going with my dog to the event tomorrow. Will snap a few photos. From what I heard, 54 feet is not correct.....think about it, that would be equal to a 5 story building, and our lovely DPC would NEVER let that happen. :lol:

Edited by gsupstate

At least a couple of you mentioned that you wished Greenville had a regular bluegrass event in town. Your wish is now granted in the form of a Saturday evening event held in Falls Park on the Reedy. The event, called "Jam'n By The Reedy," begins at 7:00pm on the bank of the Reedy River next to the Bowater Garage. This is a City of Greenville event, so special appreciation goes to them for their help in making this happen. :)

Official Press Release