Happenings

The sixth annual French Film Festival will be held Friday Dec. 28 and Saturday Dec. 29 at The Peace Center, Gunter Theater.

Check The Peace Center website for times.

Showing this year are:

"The Red Balloon"

"White Mane"

"Penpusher"

"My Last Role"

"The Woman Driver"

"Be Quiet"

• 2 weeks later...

Remembering the Holocaust.

Furman will be featuring artwork by Czech children, showing their view of the effects of the Holocaust. It is entitled "Neighbors Who Disappeared". The exhibit will be on display Jan. 9 through Jan. 26 at Furman. In conjunction with this exhibit, Furman will be holding other events to remember the Holocaust from lectures to films and stories.

I would think this is must see exhibit for all, as the world continues to strive for equality for all. We can never forget the Holocaust......one of the darkest times in human history.

The main exhibit is on display in Hipp Hall.

• 3 weeks later...

The Greenville News - Run Downtown - 5K Road Race is coming up on January 26th. This cold weather run is always fun.

http://gvltrackclub.clubexpress.com/

I actually find it to be more fun when it's not so cold... :cold:

If y'all plan to run in this one, you'd best get registered now. There's no same-day registration for this one, according to their info page.

Also, coming up on March 1st is the 31st Annual Carolina First Reedy River Run and South Carolina 10K Championship. I'm so excited that my 7-year-old is actually going to participate in youth mile this year!!!! YAY!!! I may even talk her into joining me for the 5K, too! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Gee, this has really sneaked up on me!

This festival has become REALLY big in a really short amount of time. I'm a little shocked that they are still limited to such a small area from Broad Street to River/Augusta Street (with Falls Park and the River Walk). I guess they'll expand when necessary, but here's my thinking: when people already have a hard time being convinced to cross River Street, it seems that events such as this would expand or move slightly to entice people to reach typically less traveled streets or stretches. Resulting, it's possible that on their next trip downtown that they'll continue across that barrier. It might even convince developers to develop vacant lots or to refurbish old buildings if they see that the City has a very tangible commitment to an area (not only with streetscaping which has been done, but also through just simply getting feet on those sidewalks).

• 4 weeks later...

JL Mann High School's annual art show downtown is about to open. It will run from April 28th-May 2nd in the Suntrust bank lobby on McBee Avenue. Stop by. They have a great art program and some of the pieces will be for sale. It's a great way they fund their program, and the artists receive a percentage of their sales (or they have in the past). More info can be found here: JL Mann Art Show

One of the many things this has helped fund in the past, is the JL Mann Time line project that was just installed at the new school on Fairforest Way. Unfortunately, the fragile art pieces are slated to be removed (and more than likely broken). The fight to keep the 136 stones in the ground has made coverage in at least The Greenville News, WYFF, WSPA, and on B93.7's Hawk and Tom show. I urge people to stand with the students on this issue to keep the art in the ground. Write a letter to the principal, the Superintendent, the School Board. This project has been in the works for 8 years, funded by parents and community members, and made by the students. It's come too far for too long to potentially be damaged and lost for the sake of a small minority who don't see it for what it is. They've known where the stones were going and that they'd be walked on. It hasn't been an issue.

WSPA's report is a really good one. Watch the video:

WSPA

Edited by GvilleSC

Anyone attend the Tai Chi demonstration at Falls Park this morning? I had intended to go and take some photos, but I found myself out of town most of the morning.

I guess the answer is, "no." That's a bummer. I was hoping someone had something to share about it -seemed like a neat and unusual thing to see in Greenville.

I guess the answer is, "no." That's a bummer. I was hoping someone had something to share about it -seemed like a neat and unusual thing to see in Greenville.

If I have my dog with me I make a point to stay away from Tai Chi demonstrations. We once took a walk at Furman and a guy was doing Tai Chi near the Bell Tower and let's just say it's good we had the dog on a leash! :ph34r:

No, sorry. I was in Atlanta when you were, though. :lol:

I saw about 5 minutes of it here and there. There was a group of about 10 people doing their movements out on the plaza in front of Overlook Grill. There was also a single person performing up on the plaza near the elevator on street level. The group then came up the the street level later.

There was a decent crowd of on-lookers. Maybe 75-100 people at the most. Seemed like they were mostly friends and relatives of those in the performing groups, but others definitely were stopping by to check it out near this busy location.

From what I saw it was very graceful movements and pretty interesting to watch as a performance--since it is not something you see everyday.

^^

Thanks! So they were up on the plaza? I don't know why, but I was envisioning them down on the lawn below the falls under the liberty bridge. I guess it makes sense to be up on the plaza if you want to draw attention to yourselves. It sounds like it would have been very cool to have witnessed. I'm glad there was a decent crowd to see it.

Thanks again! :)

No, sorry. I was in Atlanta when you were, though. :lol:

I saw that on your fb status when I got home...and thought, "darnit...we should have met up over Vitamin Water at the World of Coke or something!" :lol: