Happenings

okay i hate to sound like "that guy" but i have to ask....what is the general rule on alcohol at these things i know they say you can bring a cooler for food and drinks but would anyone get there panties in a twist if someone brought some beer...drinking it from a cup of course and not getting rowdy but just sitting back and watching the movie and having a beer or three....

Don't know the general rule, but my rule the last couple of years has been a flask. :) Haven't had any issues. It's all low key. I know several people that leave restaurants with plastic cups (believe it or not) and walk there with their favorite "drink". I didn't pay attention last night, but I think it was last year, they had a booth set up that sold beer.

You're in the South...it's always an important rule to take along a traveler. :thumbsup: I don't think anyone would get their knickers in a twist, but you may want to be discrete about it, as gsupstate has suggested.

On a side note: sorry I missed last night's movie...sounds like it would have been the perfect atmosphere. :cry:

Wish you could have made it. Large crowd and beautiful weather! Very lovely evening! Saw several people taking photos.....figured some must be UPer's. :)

What's a UPer's??????

Don't know the general rule, but my rule the last couple of years has been a flask. :) Haven't had any issues. It's all low key. I know several people that leave restaurants with plastic cups (believe it or not) and walk there with their favorite "drink". I didn't pay attention last night, but I think it was last year, they had a booth set up that sold beer.

Don't know the answer to the question, other than to say I say more than one person with what I assumed was wine......

What's a UPer's??????

It's a term I use for other members of Urban Planet. :) We can all sometimes spot each other out and about (even if we don't know what each other looks like) because of our camera's and photographic subjects (buildings and developments). :)

Okay, I am totally relying on some of you UP photographers to get out tomorrow and capture all of the great special events happening around downtown. :)

Here is a map of road closures related to the events.

The special events that I know of include:

• The Greek Festival (Thursday - Monday morning)
  • Main Street Jazz (3:00pm - 11:00pm)
  • Armed Forces Parade (6:00pm - 7:00pm)
  • BMW Celebrity Walk (7:00pm - 9:30pm) Doesn't this include Kevin Costner's free concert as well?
  • Greenville Drive home games through May 20

This list does not include several other events that regularly happen at the various theatres and outdoor venues. I am begging anyone with a camera to get out there and capture some of the moments for people like me who are dying to be home but can't because of work. THANK YOU in advance!!! :wub:

Bummer. :( I guess there is a larger group of us missing out on the fun than I had thought. I am still counting on anyone who will be able to be there to capture some images and post them here.

I have a correction and a few additions to the list I posted above.

Correction: According to a GSO e-mail I recieved recently, Kevin Costner's concert is planned for Saturday evening, not Friday evening as I had mentioned. Parking will obviously be eliminated around the Broad Street and South Main Street intersection during that time. I plan to go to the GSO concert, but haven't decided whether to go on Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. If I go on Saturday, I would obviously miss Kevin Costner's concert.

Random additional "happenings" this weekend:

• Greenville Symphony Orchestra (GSO) concerts Saturday (8:00pm) & Sunday (3:00pm) at the Peace Center
  • Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities Spring Dance Performance in Gunter Theatre Saturday (7:30pm) and Sunday (2:00pm)
  • Shakespeare in the Park (Upstate Shakespeare Festival) King Lear at the Carolina First Amphitheatre in Falls Park through June 10

I hope to get downtown around 6pm for the events... Will try and get pictures of armed forces parade, celeb walk, and main st. jazz. Hopefully it won't be too crowded, but i have a feeling it will. i'll try my best to get pictures. I won't be going to the Greek Festival till probably sunday, but i hope to get some pictures of that also.

My Greenville Photo Gallery

Okay, I am totally relying on some of you UP photographers to get out tomorrow and capture all of the great special events happening around downtown. :)

Here is a map of road closures related to the events.

The special events that I know of include:

• The Greek Festival (Thursday - Monday morning)
  • Main Street Jazz (3:00pm - 11:00pm)
  • Armed Forces Parade (6:00pm - 7:00pm)
  • BMW Celebrity Walk (7:00pm - 9:30pm) Doesn't this include Kevin Costner's free concert as well?
  • Greenville Drive home games through May 20

This list does not include several other events that regularly happen at the various theatres and outdoor venues. I am begging anyone with a camera to get out there and capture some of the moments for people like me who are dying to be home but can't because of work. THANK YOU in advance!!! :wub:

Wow! Lots happening this weekend. Wish I were there! A little homesick........ :cry:

Did anybody make it to the Greek Festival? Just got in today and didn't have time to go. It was such a beautiful day, seems there should have been a huge crowd. How was the weather on Friday and Saturday?

Perfect weather for it this weekend. The big inflatable slide was a blast. Gyros were awesome and the Baklava Sundae was incredible. My 2yo daughter woke up this morning still talking about the dancers on stage. :thumbsup:

Did anybody make it to the Greek Festival? Just got in today and didn't have time to go. It was such a beautiful day, seems there should have been a huge crowd. How was the weather on Friday and Saturday?

We went to eat lunch on Saturday. We got there around 1 and the line was out the door for both "lunch" and pastries. There was a large crowd. As usual the food was phenomenal.

The souvlaki line pretty much filled up the whole parking lot when I was there. That's an outdoor stand that i was near while I was getting some loukemmades (sp?). MMMM, loukemaddes :w00t:

• 5 weeks later...

The annual Latin festival, RITMO Tropical, is this coming Saturday in Falls Park from 3:00 PM to 9:30 PM. Should be a beautiful weekend.

Article from the Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../LIFE/706210358

Looking forward to this one! I've missed it the past two years.

http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_serv.../pdfs/ritmo.pdf

I'm guessing the Colombian Independence Day festival was combined with Ritmo Tropical this year, since June 23 was last year's date as well. Can't wait to experience more latino and hispanic culture in a festive downtown atmosphere. :shades:

I'll have to correct myself, since I believe the Colombian Independence Day is in late July, not June.

Here is another great event this weekend. Saturday evening from 6 to 10. Sippin Safari at the Zoo. Walk around the Zoo during evening hours and have beer and wine (an adult event). We went last year and it was a blast. :alc:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...190306/1056/ENT

Heading over to this now. Hope some other UPer's make it. I'll have camera in hand! :D