Fulton/Market Land

Yankee Fan

There is a piece of land currently used as a parking lot that is bordered by Market, Fulton, Charley's Crab, and the Grand River. The Skywalk actually makes a turn here and goes in to the Arena. My understanding is that this is owned by the Amway families. Does anyone know anything about this land? It would be an ideal site for development and is one of the few "undeveloped" pieces of land that is on the river.

It just looks like a great place for an office tower or some sort of development. Any thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That property is the biggest disgrace in the city. A big surface lot right on the river, connected to the convention center and arena, with a riverbank in disgusting disrepair. Ownership shows Plaza Towers Associates, 2905 Lucerne Dr, Grand Rapids :whistling:

87845586_6167d9585d_o.jpg

We've thrown around all kinds of ideas for use of that property. I think one of my first posts ever here was an idea to do a big mixed-use resort/indoor water park there :P Wasn't received very well :blush:

Let's hope that they're thinking that it's so valuable that they are waiting for just the right kind of development there. I say the time is now.

There is a piece of land currently used as a parking lot that is bordered by Market, Fulton, Charley's Crab, and the Grand River. The Skywalk actually makes a turn here and goes in to the Arena. My understanding is that this is owned by the Amway families. Does anyone know anything about this land? It would be an ideal site for development and is one of the few "undeveloped" pieces of land that is on the river.

It just looks like a great place for an office tower or some sort of development. Any thoughts?

The press had a report about ten years ago that Amway was thinkinbg about moving their HQ downtown to that sight, staing that it was one of the biggest rumors in town. O course that has not happened but i have always been an optimist, so i think Amway will put a tower there one day. Maybe even the Lyon and Ottawa Tower who knows, since it was the younger Devos who was behind it. I think the citeis "tallest" should be build there., a real signature to the skyline.

I think the cities tallest would look out of place there since there would nothing near it, the cities current tallest accross the street perhaps, but if you ask me having nothing but smaller buildings around it, it would dwarf the area, making it look somewhat phallic if you will.

That property is the biggest disgrace in the city. A big surface lot right on the river, connected to the convention center and arena, with a riverbank in disgusting disrepair. Ownership shows Plaza Towers Associates, 2905 Lucerne Dr, Grand Rapids :whistling:

We've thrown around all kinds of ideas for use of that property. I think one of my first posts ever here was an idea to do a big mixed-use resort/indoor water park there :P Wasn't received very well :blush:

Let's hope that they're thinking that it's so valuable that they are waiting for just the right kind of development there. I say the time is now.

We do love that little piece of parking lot around here. There have been numerous rumors and I think METROKID said something about doing a charette for that property (I could be wrong on that though).

Either way, something should be done there, b/c it's pretty underutilized even as a surface lot. Anyone know the actual property size?

I mentioned the skywalk in my post because I always found that to be somewhat interesting that they put the turn at that point. Almost like it was built to eventually connect to something. Maybe I am stretching a little bit on that.

I think it's a safe bet to assume that it will "plug into" whatever they eventually build there. It runs right through the building at 25 Ottawa.

Other than a waterpark what would we like to see there (since we're all building a mix use development just down the street :D )

I agree with MJLO that it's a bad spot for the cities tallest. It would shift the skyline over to that one spot and I don't think it would look right. The tallest should be reserved for Lyon&Ottawa (with a new design), and anywhere near Vandenberg Center.

I think anything hospitality-related, especially with the skywalk connection. I don't know if it's the best spot for a Performing Arts Center :huh: I was thinking where the Federal Courthouse is now might be nice for a Performing Arts Center, sort of like how the Metropolitan Opera House in NY is on the Plaza.

It's right around 5 or 6 acres, I believe.

I agree with MJLO that it's a bad spot for the cities tallest. It would shift the skyline over to that one spot and I don't think it would look right. The tallest should be reserved for Lyon&Ottawa (with a new design), and anywhere near Vandenberg Center.

I think anything hospitality-related, especially with the skywalk connection. I don't know if it's the best spot for a Performing Arts Center :huh: I was thinking where the Federal Courthouse is now might be nice for a Performing Arts Center, sort of like how the Metropolitan Opera House in NY is on the Plaza.

It's right around 5 or 6 acres, I believe.

I picture it as the cities tallest, but not much taller than the 383 foot Riverhouse, that way they will be great looking "bookends" from a distance, I still want it to have a signature look thought, nothing too boring.

I would like to see a mixed use building for that site--parking, offices, condos, apartments and retail. A specialty grocer for new downtown residences, a movie theater, art gallery, and an art supplies store (to fuel the DAAC and UICA kids).

It would be great to use the Fulton/Market corner as much as possible, but also have attractive facades facing the river and 131. I'm thinking of something with the footprint and architectural significance of McKay Tower, or the Flat Iron Building in NY.

Flat%20Iron%20Building.jpg

Chicago has something similar in Wicker Park. Although not nearly as cool.

20030807flagpolebuilding.jpg

That corner and the riverfront are the best parts of that property.

Back in the early 90's, the rumor was that Amway was looking at building twin 22 story towers there. They were to going to locate their Amway International HQ there. At least that is what I heard from several people.

My fear for the Market/Wealthy land is that it will end up being like the Fulton/Market land. You could actually build several buildings at Fulton/Market, so mixed use with condos/rentals/retail/boutique hotel would be my preference.

The lot is used by amway and courtyard marriott employees and parking for oversized vehicles and tour busses, it probably wont change anytime soon considering they closed 2 of grand plazas 4 parking lots for the JW marriott. I used to work in parking there. I think that lot would be allright for a 20 floor building max but the tallest should be at the huntington bank site

The lot is used by amway and courtyard marriott employees and parking for oversized vehicles and tour busses, it probably wont change anytime soon considering they closed 2 of grand plazas 4 parking lots for the JW marriott. I used to work in parking there. I think that lot would be allright for a 20 floor building max but the tallest should be at the huntington bank site

Don't bet the farm on that GR8scott :P My source tells me maybe 11 - 12, but I'm betting it will get closer to 15 - 18.

Don't bet the farm on that GR8scott :P My source tells me maybe 11 - 12, but I'm guessing it will get closer to 15 - 18.

You and your sources :ph34r:

As far as parking space needed, that may be true, but does it really have to be on the river, at one of the most highly traveled areas of downtown :D

Sometimes that's where we park for Arena events. When you park there the pass says Plaza Towers Parking:

PTP.jpg

I would just like to see the tallest building in GR built. :)

Yes! This city has been starved for tall buildings for so long, that it really does not matter to me were the next tallest is built, 50 monroe, lyon and ottawa, market and fulton or elswhele like the current site of the Gr Press.

Althoguh that location has serious soil problems, thus the reason the new six story press is located in walker, soil test from a couple years ago tests determined that the downtown sites could not handle the weight of the new press.

Speaking of taller buildings, way back I was walking downtown near Degage and this guy was running around screaming, "we need taller skyscrapers, more skyscrpers!" I said to myself, if he only knew the rest of us felt the same....

Archived