Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Allen Casey bankruptcy deal enables possible $5.9 million sale of downtown riverfront land

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/diary/story/2016/nov/04/settlement-oked-casey-bankruptcy-casedeal-ena/396046/

Judge Shelley Rucker said the agreement "settles a substantial amount" of the case and it allows a $5.9 million sale of 6.6 acresof land off Manufacturers Road to potentially be finalized.

A North Carolina development company wants to buy the riverfront tracts, where Casey had hoped to put a multimillion-dollar development of his own, but nothing was ever built.

Jerrold Farinash, the trustee in Casey's bankruptcy case, said CW Development Co., located outside Charlotte, N.C., is interested in building commercial ground-floor space and either apartments or condominiums on upper levels of a project. He said the land deal could close by next summer or early fall.

At roughly $898,000 an acre, that price makes it among the most expensive parcels ever bought in Chattanooga if the deal with the North Carolina company goes through, one real estate expert has said.

New Chattanooga Connector Trail To Link Downtown Riverwalk With Cloudland Canyon

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/11/10/335859/New-Chattanooga-Connector-Trail-To-Link.aspx

Soon hikers and bikers will be able to start at Chickamauga Dam and end up at Cloudland Canyon State Park on Lookout Mountain in Dade County, Ga.

The tentatively named "Chattanooga Connector Trail" is a 2.9-mile long trail connecting the Guild-Hardy Trail and Covenant College to the Lula Lake Land Trust.  

Once the Chattanooga Connector Trail is in place, those hiking from downtown can access nearly 60 more miles of trail on Lookout Mountain including the Cloudland Connector Trail, 5 Points, and Cloudland Canyon.
  • Like 1

Brewery to anchor new $6 million retail development planned for North Shore

project to occupy the old warehouse next to the business development center on Cherokee, it will also include a few other retailers  

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2016/nov/17/new-north-shore-6-million-retail-development-planned/398342/

300cherokeemarketingpackage1253779665_t1

Edited by Titans10

• 2 weeks later...

Action on the Standard Coosa Artist Lofs in a blighted area of town. This could spark more development in an area that needs it...  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/nov/28/city-council-consider-tax-break-standard-coos/399961/

More on this project from July 2014...  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2014/jul/20/170-new-apartments-going-abandoned-300000-square-f/252934/

And so is the south side. Really, the boom is spread all over the Tennessee Valley. So much is going up around Main and Market and now Main and Broad. We should hear more about the midrise going up between Broad and Cowart soon. 

http://1400chestnut.com/ 

Map of 1400 Chestnut St, Chattanooga, TN 374021480643755_FullSizeRender--94-_t1070_h1b3f3aefddfad75de647279da06d8b2a599fb7e4.jpg  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2016/dec/04/site-work-begins-new-downtown-apartments/400851/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Nice list. Thanks. I had to drive out to McCallie today and drove from Market, up Main, over to Holtzclaw and to Bailey. I was really amazed by all the new houses under construction.  That whole area is being resettled, and rapidly. I have never noticed before all the new neighborhoods going up along Main. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Nice list. Thanks. I had to drive out to McCallie today and drove from Market, up Main, over to Holtzclaw and to Bailey. I was really amazed by all the new houses under construction.  That whole area is being resettled, and rapidly. I have never noticed before all the new neighborhoods going up along Main. 

I noticed this too a couple of weeks ago trying to reroute myself due to traffic on Market, the Southside is really growing and quickly, the amount of new homes over there was shocking, I can't believe people want to live there though, the stink of the chicken plant is horrid during the summer and being a few blocks from gang shootings is a little too much for me, I'll stay in my hood on the North side. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Nice! Sounds like a great addition!! 

With all that's going on I wish we could get one new high rise, nothing tall has been built since the late '70s. One 350' building isn't too much to ask for right!?

Agreed. I think our best shot was when BCBS built their complex atop Cameron Hill.  Unfortunately, they went with the suburban style campus, which is huge, but so disconnected from downtown.  That is more consistent with the anti-tower (equates to "elaborate") image of corporate healthcare.  Guess we should be glad they did not go to Lupton City as originally planned.  Unum may be the next best shot, but their industry (like healthcare) is in such flux right now.  They have that property on Market that they swapped land on MLK with EPB, but I don't expect them to build anything really tall there. Nor would it be soon (next five years).  They're doing the "garage thing" along fourth right now anyway as they sell their parking lots closer to the river for townhouses, etc. TVA is cutting, and their associated consulting firms are in the various class A and B properties across downtown. I think I heard recently they are looking to sublease part of their complex.  They likely won't have any need for additional office space. Our banks have been sold, but the few remaining homegrowns shouldn't need anything that large either. 

At present, there is so much rehabbing (and buildings that could be rehabbed) still downtown. That's the two-edged sword of not having the booms in the 1960s-1980s like other cities. We still have a lot of our old buildings that can be quite serviceable.  We also have a very nice sized downtown "footprint" for a city our size. Of course, there's still a lot of potential lots left for development too. 

Longer term, with a growing and densifying residential base, we could see bigger mixed use developments downtown.  As the population rises to 30,000 in the immediate area, and the older office buildings get converted over to residential, there could well be a need for a growing local company to anchor a 20-story building. But I don't expect that to be any time in the next decade. :(

• Like 3

Honestly, I have a feeling we will see some mid- to high-rise where the current credit union is between Broad & Market and First Tennessee & Bank Building. There's been a reshuffling lately (between E Brainerd offices relocating downtown, rehabbed buildings, and that credit union moving, then PlayCore and FSG Bank/Atlantic Capital), and that building is in a prime spot. The land seemingly holds more potential than the particular building (that while is nice in its own styling, I hold has no place in the cord of the CBD). I would bet this parcel will be at the center of some new development within the next 5 years, and that hope, of course, is an 8+ story structure  or 60-120ft with structured parking. A boy can dream, right?

downtown.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you had a chance to get down here.  Would have been a perfect time for me to show you around, as the wife and kids were out of town and work has slowed to the end of year trickle. Did you see much of the southside?  Chatty is moving right along. We've seen a lot of renovations across all downtown. The most excitement is coming from the Defoors' redo of Chestnut and their Westin and the southside with the St. George redo.  Residential is still going strong in the core. Of course, northshore continues to do well.  

Going forward, I'll be watching to see if the far east, around Dodds will pick up with the Coosa-Standard complex and possibly how that impacts the Brainerd (aka "Midtown") commercial corridor. There is so much potential along Brainerd, but it just hasn't yet caught on... probably mostly due to the crime in adjacent areas. 

• 2 weeks later...