Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

More apartments going up downtown, on two Unum parking lots. 163 Residential apartments/townhouses. Mixed use, 16k retail with 300-space parking garage. 3,4 &5 story buildings, between 3rd & 4th at Walnut.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2018/sep/05/163-apartments-townhouses-planned/478428/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

More apartments going up downtown, on two Unum parking lots. 163 Residential apartments/townhouses. Mixed use, 16k retail with 300-space parking garage. 3,4 &5 story buildings, between 3rd & 4th at Walnut.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2018/sep/05/163-apartments-townhouses-planned/478428/

Glad to finally see that parking lot developed, I hope it's a quality development being that is such a prominent location. 

Also so with the possibility of that hotel going in next to the movie theater, that area of downtown finally seeing some rejuvenation as it was steadily losing restaurants to the south side and north shore. 

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big news indeed. No investment amount was disclosed but it will include at least one additional new "boutique style" hotel and office space. The new retail/restaurant offerings, including D&B's will occupy an adapted-for-reuse Sears department store. The auto service center portion will be demo'd. A Cheesecake Factory is already being built on the upper Sears parking lot. Lebovitz said that restaurant alone will contribute more rent than Sears. Opening projected in 2020. I expect this to look a lot like a proposed "lifestyle center" addition to the mall announced by CBL a few years ago. There is a restaurant (Abuelos) already operating on a portion of the lower Sears parking lot. Eager to see renderings and detailed plans.

• Like 2

Absolutely! I am from the Tri Cities, but I don't qualify any city up there as truly urban in nature, however they each have their own downtowns with a nice collection of pre-war buildings. I never got to K town much as that is what we called it back the day.

I go down to Chattanooga from time to time and the City has come a long way since I lived there in the late 80s early 90s.

Will keep my eyes/ears open. I don't get to see a lot of the bigger projects downtown, but I can be prepared when I do for looking around, maybe a brief spin around. I did take some pics back in February and the only reason I was able to get those from behind the wheel was b/c it was Sunday afternoon and traffic was very light. I was able to stop and take pics. 

There are lots of projects going up at the Southside (Market & Main). Plus, several new hotels. Hamilton is getting more shopping but nothing exciting. The biggest projects here right now are infrastructure. Of course, Ross's Landing (Riverside) and North Shore are always fairly busy with residential and retail.

Anyway, I found this a while back ... it is a bit out of date, but hopefully Rivercity will update it soon.

http://www.rivercitycompany.com/development

PS: I heard the other day about a massive new water park going to East Ridge. I'll try to dig for information about that. And of course, the whole Camp Jordan area around Exit 1 (I-75 entering from Georgia) is booming with hotels & retail/restaurant. 

On 11/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, Dale said:

I’d like to see a new tallest for Chatty, or at least a reclad of one of the tallies. Vibrant city on the ground. Bit of a fuddy-duddy skyline.

If I'm not mistaken, I think some of Chattanooga's beautiful old high-rises were reclad to hide their original exteriors.  I believe this is how the First Tennessee Bank building originally looked:

Image result for chattanooga first tennessee bank building

And here's how it looks now:

What I wouldn't give to see that original exterior!  I love what Chattanooga is becoming, though.  It's easily my favorite of Tennessee's big cities after Nashville.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think some of Chattanooga's beautiful old high-rises were reclad to hide their original exteriors.  I believe this is how the First Tennessee Bank building originally looked:

What I wouldn't give to see that original exterior!  I love what Chattanooga is becoming, though.  It's easily my favorite of Tennessee's big cities after Nashville.

Good God! I had no idea. 

• Like 1

Oh it's easily my favorite TN city. The Riverwalk, the aquarium, Volkswagen nature park, the natural beauty of ruby falls and rock city. Location, within a couple of hours I can be in Nashville, or Atlanta, or Huntsville, Knoxville, Birmingham, or the Smokies. The art district, the lakes, the tiny theme/water park, the food, northshore, etc. The list goes on. Just a great town. In my top 5 u.s. cities. I might move back one day. I was never bored living there. It has a lively and beautiful downtown. 

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Oh it's easily my favorite TN city. The Riverwalk, the aquarium, Volkswagen nature park, the natural beauty of ruby falls and rock city. Location, within a couple of hours I can be in Nashville, or Atlanta, or Huntsville, Knoxville, Birmingham, or the Smokies. The art district, the lakes, the tiny theme/water park, the food, northshore, etc. The list goes on. Just a great town. In my top 5 u.s. cities. I might move back one day. I was never bored living there. It has a lively and beautiful downtown. 

Shhhh.... even though the secret is somewhat out about Chattanooga I don’t want Chattanooga to get too big.  It’s definitely one of the most underrated cities in the country especially for outdoor lovers.  My home value has increased more than 50% since I purchased my home in 2011 and it’s looking like it could double in another 10 years.  I love it here. I’m a huge mountain biker and having 150 miles of single track trails within 20 minutes of living downtown is crazy, I can go from my home on the North Shore to a secluded mountain trail in no time. 

Things Chattanooga needs:

better schools

minor league hockey

urban downtown shopping like target

an interstate bypass

less gang violence and property theft(though gang violence is down recently)

A new modern skyscraper 300-500ft

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New hotels rise to meet tourism demand

https://noogatoday.6amcity.com/new-hotels-chattanooga-tourism/

By the numbers

11. New hotels opened in Hamilton County since 2013

1,400. This is the number of new roomsavailable in the county since 2013.

37. Hotel revenue percent increase from 2014 to 2017

10,000. The approximate number of hotels rooms in Hamilton County

73. Percentage of visitors who only stay in Chattanooga for one day

2.3 million. Number of rooms in Hamilton County booked in 2017

17. Percent increase of total hotel roomsbooked last year

$1.1 billion. Tourism revenue the county took in 2017

DYK: Hamilton County has surpassed Knox County in annual tourism spending. We are in  fourth place for the state, behind Memphis, Nashville and Sevier County.

• Like 4

More residential units approved for East Main. This area is rapidly transitioning from manufacturing to residential/mixed-use. 

Two more proposals are in the midst of review; approved by the planning panel and next will move to City Council. One if a 4.2 acre property at 1038 E. Main, currently the site of a light industrial building. The second site is a two-acre property in the 1200 block of East Main. These two proposals and the one reported last week for 450-unit mixed use building near CCS on South Broad will go to Council on Jan. 8. I believe the new Publix proposal will also be reviewed at that time. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2018/dec/10/east-masee-more-housing-commercial40-townhome/484651/

https://goo.gl/maps/YdVitqikabk

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1