Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

FINALLY some word about the Westin Hotel, and to lesser extent, the Bank Building hotel. The Westin has been on radar since 2008, with pop-ups in 2009, 2012, and 2013. Glad to see it moving forward, as little as information we received. 

"Work on a proposed 200-room Westin hotel in downtown Chattanooga's so-called Gold Building is slated to start this fall, an official said Thursday."

Found the plans from way-back-when. Curious to see if these are still relevant. *Image not attaching, so I'm linking to architect site.

On a side note, if anyone can locate the plans for the 728 Market tower or the Bank Building, I would certainly be in your debt. Having trouble locating.

FINALLY some word about the Westin Hotel, and to lesser extent, the Bank Building hotel. The Westin has been on radar since 2008, with pop-ups in 2009, 2012, and 2013. Glad to see it moving forward, as little as information we received. 

"Work on a proposed 200-room Westin hotel in downtown Chattanooga's so-called Gold Building is slated to start this fall, an official said Thursday."

Found the plans from way-back-when. Curious to see if these are still relevant. *Image not attaching, so I'm linking to architect site.

On a side note, if anyone can locate the plans for the 728 Market tower or the Bank Building, I would certainly be in your debt. Having trouble locating.

I like plans for the Gold tower, the Westin will be a great addition to the city, I like how they are opening up the upper floors like that with views of the city!

Edited by Titans10

728 (I think that's the new one proposed for the 700 block of Market)... 10 stories, residential with street-level retail.  

Here's a rundown from today's TFP...  

Major downtown projects

* Cameron Harbor along Riverfront Parkway, a $79 million complex with 235 apartments and 71 single-family homes

* Douglas Heights apartments at Douglas and 10th streets with 690 student units

* Chattanooga Choo Choo, 97 apartments units, two new restaurants, new music venue and seven acres of future development

* 700 block of Market St., $28 million project with 125 apartments and new retail stores

* Former BlueCross BlueShield headquarters converting to Westin hotel with more than 200 rooms

* Main and Market retail and apartment complex with 68 units

* Apartments at 1400 Chestnut St. with 210 rental units

* Chattanooga Bank building converted to 140-room luxury hotel

* Maclellan Building converted to 90 apartments

* Former BlueCross office on Chestnut Street converted to more than 50 units in the Clemons Lofts

* Tomorrow Building at Patten Parkway and Georgia Avenue, 41 units

* UTC plans a 600-unit new student dorm at Vine and Houston streets

* Vision Hospital plans 90-room boutique hotel near the Walnut Street Bridge and an 84-unit apartment complex on the North Shore

* Unum is working with a developer to build apartments and retail shops on one of its parking lots on Vine Street

* The Fleetwood Coffee Co. is being converted into offices and 25 loft-style apartments

More downtown development

In the next two years, developers in the central city are planning to add:

* 1,500 new apartments

* 1,331 more beds for UTC students

* 526 hotel rooms

* $400 million of new private investment

Source: River City Co.

10 Cherokee

#

#

Cameron Harbor u/c

#

#

Vision Hospitality - Walnut Street hotel (u/c)

##

11th Street Art Lofts

#

Fleetwood Coffee - Apartments

#

UTC Dorms

#

Unum Parking Lots - Proposed

#

Douglas Heights - Douglas and 10th (u/c)

#

Market and 11th

#

Chestnut Lofts (Former BCBS building)

#

700 Block of Market Street (Oct. '15 Groundbreaking)

#

Tomorrow Building - Patten Building Renovation to Apartments (u/c)

#

1400 Chestnut

#

Main and Market (u/c)

#

Choo Choo Redevelopment with Apartments (u/c)

#

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Planners unveil Moccasin Bend gateway, public spaces design

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/aug/30/potential-north-shore-public-spaces-design-pl/322519/

I'm really excited about this one, I live just two or three miles away from this and really hope this all happens in a rather timely fashion. I really hope the mountain bike park happens and that the river walk is extended, as an avid cyclist, and someone that lives and works in this area, I can't wait for this to all be built! Being able to ride my bike from my house in North Chattanooga to St. Elmo and the Guild Hardy trail or to the dam without ever riding on the road would be really awesome

Edited by Titans10

Parking semantics begin.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/9/1/307320/Developer-Says-CARTA-To-Lease-75.aspx 

Quick read on specs: $14m price tag, 26 on-site "first come, first serve" parking spaces, 84 new units, 14k sq ft retail across the three sides ground level (corner, center, wing), 4 two-bedroom units at $1625, then $925-$975 for the 40 studio units and 40 one bedroom units across the 5-story build. Expecting full leasing by the time construction is completed. 

Here is a new rendering of the VHG apartment going up between the SunTrust building at Market & Frazier and the SBDC incubator on Cherokee:

1512865_943930252334681_2795822822776020

On the note of parking and infill, here is a link to the FBC charrette with some pretty cool facts, statistics, and infill projections. Pages 52 & 58 are the renderings of what the North Shore and Riverfront districts could look like. What a dream that aesthetic density would look like!

https://codestudio.opencomment.us/cha-fbc-charrette-summary-report 

Edited by cssullivan
adding specs

So am I reading this right, roughly 100 parking spaces for 84 units and for the retail component of this, that doesn't seem like enough parking for the people that are going to live there. The vast majority of the people that will live there will probably be two car families. Seems like the devloper is pinching pennies on this one, should spend the extra money and build a garage and just add a few more units maybe to cover the cost

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone make it to the public input meeting for the Miller Park district? I wasn't able to, but here is the latest from the internet (as it goes).

12079518_1498528723796207_75482298539093

12065623_1498529970462749_72791958391511

12063546_1498530070462739_7023216313256712065525_1498531027129310_28655931745433

3D mock-up of stage area to far left. Cafe mock-up below. Both are enlarged, with the intact park in the background. Does this cafe remind anyone else of Shake Shack? 

12038476_1498531567129256_94394860354169

12043091_1498528967129516_53678255014526

Edited by cssullivan
  • Like 2

On a side note- the district courthouse and post office in the background of the cafe pavilion picture is being replaced in a number of years, due to its aging and rising on the list of federal projects to be funded. While the potential of more infill (and possibly a sleek, new building, though less likely) is exciting, what is there to be done with the abandoned courthouse?

I have thought back and forth, and while not needed, I think an architectural museum would be great. The courthouse was designed by R. H. Hunt, was once deeply celebrated, and has been on exhibit in the Smithsonian on American architects. It begs architectural relevance. There are currently few architectural museums in the South (think High in ATL, one in VA, and a few in FL), and Chattanooga has a growing reputation of cultural institutions. We also have plenty of architecturally relevant buildings (Chattanooga Choo Choo, the Gold Building, BCBS, MacLellan, Memorial Auditorium, Aquarium expansions, Hunter Museum each expansion, Longhorn restaurant, Times Building, to name a few). It could anchor TN architecture, and expand outward to the Southeast. Wouldn't that be fantastic to have?

Edited by cssullivan

Wow, I'm loving the look of those Miller Park district renderings!  That's definitely something that Nashville needs more of.  Chattanooga definitely trumps Nashville in the 'interesting public space' game, in my opinion.  Places like that are just as, if not more, important to the success of an urban environment than any skyscraper, in my opinion. 

On a side note, are there any nerves in Chatty about this whole VW scandal?  I hope it doesn't have a negative affect on the local economy.

Those Miller Park rendering are interesting, I like the idea of a stage and lawn, I guess they might be thinking about moving Nightfall to that stage, would make for a better venue then the stage they have now with terrible sight lines everywhere

Buyer plans to put apartments in First Tennessee building

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/oct/01/apartments-slated-first-tennessee-building/328092/

The First Tennessee Bank Building, one of downtown Chattanooga's tallest structures, is being sold, with much of the landmark office tower slated to become apartments in a $14 million project.

While the bank will stay at Seventh and Market streets, a Memphis developer plans to remake more than half of the building's 16 floors into rental housing as the central city continues to see an array of new apartment space.

KvPAafoh.jpg

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

Wow, I'm loving the look of those Miller Park district renderings!  That's definitely something that Nashville needs more of.  Chattanooga definitely trumps Nashville in the 'interesting public space' game, in my opinion.  Places like that are just as, if not more, important to the success of an urban environment than any skyscraper, in my opinion. 

On a side note, are there any nerves in Chatty about this whole VW scandal?  I hope it doesn't have a negative affect on the local economy.

The park does look great! They are working on creating better public spaces for many reasons, but it's also a strategic recruiting tool for talent density in the new innovation district. VW work is ongoing. The most I have heard are grumblings from a few local congressmen, but district 3 is notably crazy. It is to be expected.

Those Miller Park rendering are interesting, I like the idea of a stage and lawn, I guess they might be thinking about moving Nightfall to that stage, would make for a better venue then the stage they have now with terrible sight lines everywhere

Buyer plans to put apartments in First Tennessee building

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/oct/01/apartments-slated-first-tennessee-building/328092/

Exciting! More office space being converted. With less space, our vacancy numbers will shoot down, with a new tower proposal to follow in 2-3 years (hopefully). Plus, this vertical growth of residential living will only promote more. I am excited. Side note, if Heritage Land really did like Chattanooga, they would restore the Beaux Arts style of the building.:D

• Like 3

Nerves about VW?  Probably, but nothing shown in their public face.  There was a piece in yesterday's TFP about that.  Pretty interesting to see how a company that had virtually no presence here before seven years ago has repercussions like this. No doubt, it's a big deal, but work continues on the new SUV plant next door to the Passat plant.  

The TFP has ongoing coverage of the VW Scandal...  http://www.timesfreepress.com/vw-scandal/

Here is the article from yesterday... http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/sep/30/vw-expansion-productitrack-chattanoogdespite/327844/

• Like 2

I here from so many parents here in Franklin that have children deciding on Chat not only for boarding school but under grad as well.

I and many of my friends graduated from Franklin High in 2005, I feel like my class and the class before me really opened the floodgates of people from Wilco coming to Chattanooga, Chattanooga was just coming into its own at that point, so much has happened here in the almost 10 years that I have been here. I work with and know so many people that grew up in the Franklin area that now live in Chatt

• Like 1