Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

Hate to be double posting, but climbing into a friend's car today, I saw this view and couldn't help myself. It may not be the most pretty, but man is it not too bad of an infill. 7 story (really 8), maybe 92ft tall Holiday Inn Express (new urban concept) under construction on Chestnut & 5th. I'm loving that low density, blighty space between 5th and 7th filling in!

(P.S. Can you tell I've poured another cup of coffee today with all these extra pictures?)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by cssullivan
Map for reference
  • Like 2

Big loss for the Southside

Planning Commission Votes 6-5 To Reject 7-Story Apartment Building On Cowart Street

After lengthy discussion on Monday before the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Regional Planning Commission, historical neighborhood advocates won a victory in the Southside area when the commission narrowly rejected a request to allow developers to build a seven-story apartment building on the 1200 block of Cowart Street.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/10/12/310253/Planning-Commission-Votes-6-5-To-Reject.aspx

The developer says this project is dead without the zoning allowance, which is unfortunate because it is currently (mostly) a surface asphalt parking lot. Yet, one block away, the TVA building rises more than 100 feet. Then two blocks away are several buildings around 100 feet tall. It's an odd-shaped site, and the additional parking space in this project would be a net asset to the Southside, which really does need more density. The article does not mention, but this rejection makes me wonder if the proposed commuter rail line that would cut through this area was even considered.  I doubt it, but seems to me that it should be considered if the city wants to encourage transit oriented development, which will not get built if it cannot be financially justified. 

Edited by MLBrumby

It's unfortunate that members of the city are blocking smart growth and development especially in an area like the southside. They were even willing to build a parking garage which is rare here in Chattanooga. Maybe the developers can find another lot for a project. There are plenty of parking lots on the southside, north shore and downtown that need to be developed!!

Such ridiculousness.  I will NEVER understand why any neighborhood would turn down a project like this for such bogus reasons, but a neighborhood as in need of a 'win' as Southside Chattanooga?  Pure lunacy.  I mean I could kind of understand if this were a fifty story building in the middle of a single family neighborhood or something...but seven story building among parking lots and five story buildings?!  How the hell is that out of step with the neighborhood?  Give me a break.  This would have eaten an empty lot, provided a huge economic boon to the neighborhood and increased the parking, residential and retail options several times over for the immediate surrounding area, and these people reject it because it's "big."  To say that this decision is short-sighted would be an understatement.  Wow.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An attorney said Thursday that he has received a bid of more than $5 million for a 6.6-acre tract of prime downtown Chattanooga riverfront land where businessman Allen Casey once planned a hotel and condominium complex.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/nov/06/over-5-millioffered-casey-waterfront-land/334297/

Pair of new downtown Chattanooga apartment projects planned

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/nov/07/pair-new-downtown-apartment-projects-planned/334486/

A pair of planned new apartment projects could bring more than 360 additional units to downtown Chattanooga as demand for rental housing in the central city continues to sizzle.

More than 2,000 apartments are planned, underway or recently completed in the downtown area, figures show.

• Like 3

Two more apartment buildings announced for the downtown and north shore area, with 364 apartments. These are on top of the dozen (1512 apartments and over 250 houses), for almost a half-billion dollars under construction. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/nov/07/pair-new-downtown-apartment-projects-planned/334486/

From the Nooga.com (Aug. 7, 2015) ... http://nooga.com/170735/downtown-projects-by-the-numbers/

Southside development 

• Chattanooga Choo-Choo redevelopment with entertainment venues and 97 apartments
  • "Reimagined" 14th Street with space for potential festivals and events 
  • 68 apartments and 10,000 square feet of retail space at Main and Market streets
  • $23 million in apartments on Chestnut Street with 210 units 
  • $73 million in total investment
  • 524 new apartments 

City Center development 

• 10 new developments, along with improvements to Broad Street, Patten Parkway and Miller Plaza/Park
  • Tomorrow Building will have 41 microunits and retail and restaurant space
  • $28 million investment in the 700 block of Market Street for a 10-story building with 125 apartments, retail and office space, and parking
  •  Chattanooga Bank Building to become a 160-room hotel 
  • 90 apartments coming to the Maclellan Building on Broad Street
  • Clemons Building getting 51 apartments
  • Request for quotes coming soon on Mayfield Annex
  • Gold Building to be turned into a Westin Hotel
  • Edney Building will house The Company Lab and Enterprise Center 
  • $149 million in total investment 
  • 333 new apartments
  • 475 new hotel rooms 

UTC/MLK development

• New housing development behind Champy's Famous Fried Chicken with 690 student beds; second phase could add 600 more
  • River City granting current MLK business owners with façade grants
  • Request for quotes for 400 block of MLK for potential mixed-use development
  • Vine Street will get 600 beds, 600 parking spaces, Barnes & Noble satellite location 
  • 422 Vine St. project adding 68 beds 
  • Walk2Campus developing project on Fourth and Lindsay streets with 68 housing units 
  • Fleetwood Building becoming 38 housing units
  • $130 million in total investment
  • 336 housing units
  • 1,331 student beds 

Riverfront development

• Boutique hotel at the end of Walnut Street Bridge
  • Enhancements to Walnut Street Bridge area
  • New development with 235 apartments, 71 single-family homes
  • Expanded Riverwalk
  • $79 million in total investment 

North Shore development

• 84 apartments planned
  • $14 million in investments
Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

I love how visual Chattanooga press has become, but I can't understand why they choose to circulate the same Chattanooga photos. Especially in regards to the mass amount of photos on Instagram tagged with and located in Chattanooga. I'm talking high quality, unique perspective, architecture/cityscape photos. 

The majority of the photos circulated, like the one you posted above, MLBrumby (which I do really like) are dated 2005-2009 or so, and the markers are generally the Walnut Hill development, the Market St bridge construction, or the case of above, the building that became the Liberty Tower. Maybe I should find a suggestion box somewhere. File this under millennial rants, I suppose.:D

A few Instagram accounts to peruse:

https://instagram.com/rockcreekaviation/

https://instagram.com/trxlation/

https://instagram.com/jonathanskinner_/

https://instagram.com/loganfoll/ (credit him with the photo below)

1*PE5xnpSig6AzPyfCUkuVpg.jpeg

• Like 1

Good catch.... the Unum garage was just a patch of freshly turned dirt when that pic was taken.  Let's see... I think the Blue Cross Blue Shield complex opened in spring of '09.  Looks to be (almost) finished... and of course the Delta Queen was there (I don't recall when that was brought down, but obviously before this).  The Town and Country was gone by this time (I think that was demo'd in '05).  Brabson Place is too far to left to be in this picture, but I think it was finished around '07.  Can't see well enough to make out whether the Cherry Street houses had been started, but I think the first row was built sometime around '06/'07.  Of course, that recently finished apartment block at First and Walnut is not in photo... and Cameron Harbor wasn't yet a gleam in the developers' eyes. This photo makes it very clear that so much of the new stuff has gone up in both directions from downtown... at South Main (apartments and mixed use/retail) and North Shore (apartments and s.f.r.).  

BTW: Really enjoyed those links you provided.  It really is too easy to get more up-to-date photos. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

City Council approves the 7-story building proposed for Cowart Street (Southend) despite planning commission's recommendation against it. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/nov/11/council-gives-initial-approval-cowart-street/335059/

I'm glad this was approved, it's what 2 blocks from the massive TVA building, and they are willing to build a parking garage, get this thing built

City Council approves the 7-story building proposed for Cowart Street (Southend) despite planning commission's recommendation against it. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/nov/11/council-gives-initial-approval-cowart-street/335059/

So glad that more level heads intervened! 

Thanks for posting. Saw this in front section of TFP today.  Still am not sure how the building will be sited on Cowart, as the TVA PA building (1-story with cupola) appears to be on the wrong side in the drawing.  I think I can make out that it will front along Cowart, and the side we see in the drawing is as viewed from Market Street.  Is that what you guys think? 

If I am correct, I'm not sure I'm "crazy" about the little driveway across the front.  Of course, it sure beat a gravel parking lot.  And will the building be L-shaped to run along 13th Street to fill the whole space currently a parking lot? I would guess not as the site is described as "hotdog" shaped. 

Finally, I hope these style windows will be used instead of the ubiquitous sheet glass windows of a more modern design.  

Edited by MLBrumby

The driveway does seem to be a bit ludicrous, but I'm thinking it'll help in three ways: 1) getting in & out of the place, since Cowart is a tricky little, narrow, fast-driving street (so this would be attractive to residents); 2) make the building less domineering since it will be off the street some (and help ease neighorhood tensions about height & context); finally 3) since Chattanooga is still largely car-dependent, I'm hoping this will be one of the early transitions in easing out of the dependency. I'm just thinking to different, mid-century structures scattered around Lower Manhattan and the Upper W & E sides as well.

But what is this design- are we in Midtown Nashville? Surely we have the luxury of time to make it more appealing, since budget clearly seems to be an issue