Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Southside (pictured below) over the weekend and have to say there is so much going up in that area of town.  

Today's TFP has a piece on the new forms based codes for downtown construction:  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2016/apr/20/look-and-feel-downtown-chattanoogstake-leader/361063/

20150115southside0119383062752_t1070_h0e

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

Recently completed Holiday Inn I believe downtown, thought it was cool how they blended the parking garage into the building(even though the building is hideous). The two floors above the ground floor are parking garage!

vWqoBydh.jpg

Current status of 10 Cherokee on the North Shore

bOaZXL1h.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/21/2016 at 9:48 PM, MLBrumby said:

Went to the Southside (pictured below) over the weekend and have to say there is so much going up in that area of town.  

Today's TFP has a piece on the new forms based codes for downtown construction:  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2016/apr/20/look-and-feel-downtown-chattanoogstake-leader/361063/

20150115southside0119383062752_t1070_h0e

I love this shot.  In my opinion this up there with South Main in Memphis as the best non-CBD urban stretches in TN.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And more northshore housing.  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/diary/story/2016/apr/29/four-story-apartment-building-eyed-chattanoog/362868/

From the article:

On the North Shore, Vision Hospitality Group is building a five-story, 84-unit apartment building off Cherokee Boulevard near Renaissance Park in a project estimated at more than $10 million.

Also, the former Loft restaurant site at Cherokee Boulevard and Manning Street is to hold 185 apartments in a planned $37 million development by a Franklin, Tenn., company.

Last month, Desai and Narav Shah officially opened The Clemons, which holds 54 loft-style apartments, in a project that cost nearly $7.5 million in the central city at Chestnut and Eighth streets.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

As of last week, no evidence of work being done at Westin (aka BC/BS "Gold" Building). 

However, the apartments in the 700 block of Market are well underway.  I predict that block on Market and Cherry will become quite active in the next few years. Cherry Street needs a lot of help. 

• Like 1

They've been doing work, but I am skeptical towards the rate at which it's getting done. Cherry St should pick up when the LPG apartments rent out, the corner block is full, and the Mayfield Annex takes off. Outside of Cameron Harbor, I expect the next growth of town (as far as trend with residents, bars, restaurants) to be Market west towards Chestnut and Carter, what with hotels, new apartment renos, on-paper-planned apartments, and pocket park. Won't be long until a midsized office tower joins the fare in City Center.

• 3 weeks later...

Chattanooga convention center pumps $900 million into economy over 30 years

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2016/may/26/trade-center-30conventicenter-pumps-900-milli/367700/

Favorite part: "But Hudson said he still wishes there were more attached hotel rooms to the trade center to help serve bigger meetings and conventions. [...] 'My biggest wish is that we had another 350 attached hotel rooms,' Hudson said. 'We need a bookend tower.' "

Me, too, Mr. Chairman.

43f30a51-2b2a-410f-9965-c6ef35459257.jpg

Edited by cssullivan
Complete quote
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

^Look at all those prime, underutilized properties across the street !

many of those properties are vacant due to the widening of 27 through downtown and looks like they could be demolished at some point

Edited by Titans10

• 2 weeks later...

Electric car-sharing program coming to Chattanooga

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/jun/18/electric-car-sharing-program-coming-chattanoo/371649/

20 Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) to be parked at 20+ charging station around the city.

Chattanooga will be the first mid-sized city to get an electric car-sharing program, and the first city for the LA-based startup Green Commuter to launch their program.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...