Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

• 2 weeks later...

This plot of land may never be developed at this rate. 

New North Shore land buyer may be local group

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/diary/story/2017/feb/10/new-north-shore-land-buyer-may-be-local-group/412136/

A high-profile riverfront tract of land on Chattanooga's North Shore, on the block for $5.9 million, may be bought by a local development group.

The 6.6-acre parcel that's part of Chattanooga businessman Allen Casey's bankruptcy case was to have been purchased by a North Carolina firm, but the company has backed out of the deal, officials said Thursday.

Jerrold Farinash, the trustee in Casey's case, said in U.S. Bankruptcy Court that a local company now wants to buy the vacant site that sits across the Tennessee River from Ross's Landing.

Farinash identified the company as KCB Operations GP. He said he didn't know the principals behind the company, but that they weren't adjacent property owners.

Judge Shelley Rucker asked during a hearing if the new group had previously bid on the property located just off Manufacturers Road. Farinash said the potential buyer is "local and entirely new to the transaction."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Chatty so very much, but I must say, those two highrises in the photo above have got to be two of the ugliest I have ever laid my eyes upon.  Please tell me there are some secret plans to renovate them.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I love Chatty so very much, but I must say, those two highrises in the photo below have got to be two of the ugliest I have ever laid my eyes upon.  Please tell me there are some secret plans to renovate them.

A note about those two buildings. The one on the left (SunTrust) was built 50 years ago (1966-68) as American National Bank, and it is unchanged. The one on the right (First Tennessee, formerly Hamilton National Bank), however, is 106 years old. Built in 1911, it was built in the style of Beaux Arts. Since that was a passé style by the 1960s, and with the American National Bank starting construction at the time, the owners decided to give it that modernist cladding on the façade around 1966 to make it look brand new, it has (dis)graced the Chattanooga skyline now for 51 years. It's absolutely time both girls got a nice makeover, but for the older one, rip off that ugly façade and restore it to its Beaux Arts glory.

article.24851.large.jpg

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2002/8/3/24851/What-Did-That-Building-Used-To-Be--.aspx

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

A note about those two buildings. The one on the left (SunTrust) was built 50 years ago (1966-68) as American National Bank, and it is unchanged. The one on the right (First Tennessee, formerly Hamilton National Bank), however, is 106 years old. Built in 1911, it was built in the style of Beaux Arts. Since that was a passé style by the 1960s, and with the American National Bank starting construction at the time, the owners decided to give it that modernist cladding on the façade around 1966 to make it look brand new, it has (dis)graced the Chattanooga skyline now for 51 years. It's absolutely time both girls got a nice makeover, but for the older one, rip off that ugly façade and restore it to its Beaux Arts glory.

article.24851.large.jpg

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2002/8/3/24851/What-Did-That-Building-Used-To-Be--.aspx

My God, I had no idea!!  Lord have mercy, I almost think demolishing the old girl and putting her out of her misery would have been a more dignified fate than that!  What a crime!

• Like 3

On 3/11/2017 at 0:57 PM, fieldmarshaldj said:

article.24851.large.jpg

That is horrible!  Was there much of an outcry at the time?  I wonder how much it would cost to remove that ugly 1960s cladding.  Chattanooga has some beautiful buildings in its downtown.  This could and should be a jewel in Chattanooga's crown.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

That is horrible!  Was there much of an outcry at the time?  I wonder how much it would cost to remove that ugly 1960s cladding.  Chattanooga has some beautiful buildings in its downtown.  This could and should be a crown jewel in Chattanooga's crown.

I don't know if there was much of an outcry. Unquestionably, it should be restored. In Nashville, they similarly put on an ugly modernist cladding over the Castner-Knott Department Store downtown in the 1950s and they were able to remove it in recent years.

I cannot think of a better location for a new large mixed use (residential) development like this. There are already townhomes going up just on the edge of this property. But I hope they put in an alternate through-way for north-south traffic (basically parallel to Broad). I think they could connect Chestnut to Broad at various spots, as well as bring it to an end at the base of Cumming Hwy. As Chattanooga approaches 200,000 in population, I'd really like to see this happen. At present that whole area is desolate and looks bad to everyone travelling from Nashville or Birmingham. 

• Like 2

Mean Mug Coffeehouse, Edley's Bar-B-Que and Blue Ridge Fly Fishing will open this summer in North Chattanooga in the same building as Food Works, a restaurant that's been there more than a decade.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/mar/26/north-shores-signal-mill-announces-tenants/419292/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel to go up at the King/Market property used by city for parking. Adjacent property will be redeveloped as office/retail space. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/apr/08/hotel-develobuy-city-parking-lothelp-develop/421870/

The city of Chattanooga is preparing to sell one of its employee parking lots on King Street to help the owners of an adjacent 70,000-square-foot warehouse redevelop the site along with plans for a nearby $20 million hotel.

Desai, a partner in 3H Hotels, is planning to build the 108-room Moxy Hotel at King and Market streets, which he hopes to start building in June and complete in the next year.

1484969452_IMG_20170120_131511043_HDR_t1070_h213812d119bbae9b7957a56cb36a0028541cb5ed.jpg

#

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Northshore residential. Developers have won approval on appeal for a 15-18 unit townhouse project at 102 Tampa Street. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/apr/11/north-shore-project-wins-planners-ok/422241/

Will this be fronting Frazier? And has anyone released any designs??

Not especially attractive, but not repulsive either. And most importantly, adding density to a rapidly changing section of downtown. The master plan for the Choo Choo is actually very nice. I'll try to get some of that info for posting here. 

1492655149_LIV-Elevation-Sketch-3.23.17_t1070_h1914f6ab30e8591acb6b3d1adf496b17cdb60c6b.jpg

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/diary/story/2017/apr/20/283-apartments-readied-choo-choo-sitetrack-29/423751/

• Like 3