Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

Good news. Fencing up and demolition happening at the corner of Cherokee and manning in North Chatt where the Bristol Groups apartments are to be built. Also noticed some surveyors just across the street where the gear closet and another row of commercial buidings are doing some work so something maybe happening there, I know the gear closet just cleaned out their space. Also the commercial properties of the old knitting mill and the other old warehouse that backs up to knitting mill and fronts cherokee are both coming along quickly. That area of North Chatt is a happening spot right now.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, Titans10 said:

Good news. Fencing up and demolition happening at the corner of Cherokee and manning in North Chatt where the Bristol Groups apartments are to be built. Also noticed some surveyors just across the street where the gear closet and another row of commercial buidings are doing some work so something maybe happening there, I know the gear closet just cleaned out their space. Also the commercial properties of the old knitting mill and the other old warehouse that backs up to knitting mill and fronts cherokee are both coming along quickly. That area of North Chatt is a happening spot right now.

Could it be the CADAS 4-story you're talking about? I think I saw them starting it. Or maybe it's already started?

7 hours ago, cssullivan said:

Could it be the CADAS 4-story you're talking about? I think I saw them starting it. Or maybe it's already started?

No the CADAS project already started, the area with the surveyors is where the gear closet was (the building perpendicular to Chilhowee st.) and the row of office building fronting Cherokee that says rubber and gaskets. It just makes me wonder if something is possibly going on there since the gear closet just closed and is moving to a new location  

IMG_9989.thumb.PNG.aa08feb59dbe6ddefa360e9ca45190c3.PNG

this is the project that just started demo

https://www.bristoldevelopment.com/five-points-northshore

5 points north shore  

IMG_9990.JPG.62637d2ce2c987c24641a26a9eb51608.JPG

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More North Chatt development 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/jun/06/more-north-chattanoogbuilding-plannedamid-com/431868/

City planners will hear a pair of North Chattanooga cases when they meet next week, while another developer is getting ready to put up 70 new apartments off Cherokee Boulevard.

Ethan Collier of Collier Construction said plans are to seek rezoning of a tract at North Market and Peak streets to permit the company to continue building on a vacant parcel and eventually put up 15 to 17 new residential units.

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lookouts are pushing for a new stadium and all indications are pointing towards the old foundry site off the interstate on the southside, which will include a mixed use area of commercial and residential I'll be glad to get that site redeveloped but I hope the city isn't about to fork over a bunch of money to get this done, it's still in the talk only phase but it seems almost weekly something hits the news about this.  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/aug/21/lookouts-owner-new-stadium-catalyst-developme/444623/

On 8/25/2017 at 2:41 PM, Titans10 said:

The Lookouts are pushing for a new stadium and all indications are pointing towards the old foundry site off the interstate on the southside, which will include a mixed use area of commercial and residential I'll be glad to get that site redeveloped but I hope the city isn't about to fork over a bunch of money to get this done, it's still in the talk only phase but it seems almost weekly something hits the news about this.  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/aug/21/lookouts-owner-new-stadium-catalyst-developme/444623/

I thought the Lookouts stadium on the hill was relatively new?

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I thought the Lookouts stadium on the hill was relatively new?

I believe it opened in 1999. New ownership took over this past season and they have a track record of buying teams then demanding new stadiums with success.  AT&T is pretty bare bones for a stadium, design flaws are one of the reasons they are talking about, evening games during the summer there are brutal due to the way the stands face directly into the sun. Also from what I understand the city leased the property to the team and are really wanting to push for the redevelopment of that prime piece of land. I also think the city really wants to get the foundry property redeveloped and are using the lookouts as a catalyst to get the ball rolling on a huge mixed use redevelopment. It seems there are a lot of moving pieces at play here that are linked in more than one way. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2017 at 3:42 PM, Titans10 said:

I believe it opened in 1999. New ownership took over this past season and they have a track record of buying teams then demanding new stadiums with success.  AT&T is pretty bare bones for a stadium, design flaws are one of the reasons they are talking about, evening games during the summer there are brutal due to the way the stands face directly into the sun. Also from what I understand the city leased the property to the team and are really wanting to push for the redevelopment of that prime piece of land. I also think the city really wants to get the foundry property redeveloped and are using the lookouts as a catalyst to get the ball rolling on a huge mixed use redevelopment. It seems there are a lot of moving pieces at play here that are linked in more than one way. 

To piggyback off this, the stadium really is falling apart. The ball started rolling with this project a few years ago, too. The new owners have a business model that they are retrofitting into the current stadium. Add these constraints with the condition, the potential growth, southward momentum, and the existing business connections to the foundry site- it's a critical mass that can't be ignored (not to mention competition with CFC). My hope is that this helps the train (which I believe would go near the site, if not have a stop there with pre-existing lines) get off the ground.

Basically, current stadium: 

• Poor condition
  • Poor vendor access
  • Outdated facilities (including media)
  • A/C (not enough boxes)
  • Parking problems
  • Not apart of the community

My personal additions:

• People have always complained about the angle it's facing
  • Tensions with the site

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xtianpoop said:

To piggyback off this, the stadium really is falling apart. The ball started rolling with this project a few years ago, too. The new owners have a business model that they are retrofitting into the current stadium. Add these constraints with the condition, the potential growth, southward momentum, and the existing business connections to the foundry site- it's a critical mass that can't be ignored (not to mention competition with CFC). My hope is that this helps the train (which I believe would go near the site, if not have a stop there with pre-existing lines) get off the ground.

Basically, current stadium: 

• Poor condition
  • Poor vendor access
  • Outdated facilities (including media)
  • A/C (not enough boxes)
  • Parking problems
  • Not apart of the community

My personal additions:

• People have always complained about the angle it's facing
  • Tensions with the site

To piggyback off this also I know CFC is currently frustrated with their current rent contract with Finley Stadium, I saw a plan albeit from a fan but the owners are swirling the idea of possibly building their own stadium, since they are going pro in 2019, with the idea of a new modular stadium or going in the the Lookouts from the beginning and being apart of the building of a new stadium with the lookouts. I hope CFC stays at Finley and can get a new agreement that benefits both sides but if the two teams work together building a new stadium designed for both it could be a really nice facility for soccer, baseball and concerts. 

• Like 1

That's disappointing, especially when Finley was finally just starting to see life come back to those old bones. I remember about 10 years ago when people at the Lookouts (back when they helped manage) complained about the state of Finley, saying things like "Frank didn't build Finley" to the effect of "this place is falling apart." On the flip side, a new, multi-use stadium holding two teams could be a beautiful asset to the city. Image-wise, especially, it would elevate this growing place.

Spoke to a Lookouts person this weekend, and I was told "it's definitely happening," re: new stadium at the foundry site.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 10:59 AM, xtianpoop said:

That's disappointing, especially when Finley was finally just starting to see life come back to those old bones. I remember about 10 years ago when people at the Lookouts (back when they helped manage) complained about the state of Finley, saying things like "Frank didn't build Finley" to the effect of "this place is falling apart." On the flip side, a new, multi-use stadium holding two teams could be a beautiful asset to the city. Image-wise, especially, it would elevate this growing place.

Spoke to a Lookouts person this weekend, and I was told "it's definitely happening," re: new stadium at the foundry site.

I honestly think CFC maybe bluffing a bit by telling the Finley people they may do there own thing in order to get a better deal on their new contract, I believe they pay over 10,000 dollars a game to use Finley. 

As much as I don't want the city to fund a new Lookouts stadium the Foundry site needs to be cleaned up, it's been an eye sore for way too long  

On 9/4/2017 at 8:59 PM, Titans10 said:

As much as I don't want the city to fund a new Lookouts stadium the Foundry site needs to be cleaned up, it's been an eye sore for way too long  

Agreed, and the spot is a much more advantageous gateway to the city than by the river. If you're traveling south on 27, chances are you're living in greater Chatt, and potentially have been for a while.

• 2 weeks later...