Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

I know it's only an urban neighborhood, not CBD, but I feel dejected seeing these surface lots. To put all this effort into raising a development (or plural) to only have it devalued by the suburban nature of surface lots? (Of course, the argument with the market is there is more ephemeral value WITH the lots; I get it.) Glad nonetheless, especially with the minimum one deck. Disappointed in not seeing the transit station in the concept, at least. Tangent, sorry!

Was anyone able to make it to the meetings on this? I'm sad I missed them.

9 hours ago, xtianpoop said:

I know it's only an urban neighborhood, not CBD, but I feel dejected seeing these surface lots. To put all this effort into raising a development (or plural) to only have it devalued by the suburban nature of surface lots? (Of course, the argument with the market is there is more ephemeral value WITH the lots; I get it.) Glad nonetheless, especially with the minimum one deck. Disappointed in not seeing the transit station in the concept, at least. Tangent, sorry!

Was anyone able to make it to the meetings on this? I'm sad I missed them.

While we will all agree that surface lots suck we all know the developers would rather have them to save money, and there will need to be lots of parking if there is a 6,000+ seat baseball stadium involved. I'm glad to see this seems to be moving along, I just hope they don't go cheap on the baseball stadium, we're not giving them another new stadium  in 20 yrs. I also hope the stadium is designed for concerts and soccer. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Titans10 said:

While we will all agree that surface lots suck we all know the developers would rather have them to save money, and there will need to be lots of parking if there is a 6,000+ seat baseball stadium involved. I'm glad to see this seems to be moving along, I just hope they don't go cheap on the baseball stadium, we're not giving them another new stadium  in 20 yrs. I also hope the stadium is designed for concerts and soccer. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Concept reminds me of Waterside... yes, suburban. 

I know this... I am dead-set against subsidizing anything for this development... especially for another ballpark. 

YES, Waterside. You're right. This initial rendering (subject to change with public input, financing, etc), does leave quite a bit to be desired. It's abutting the interstate, right, but there is a lot to be left to the imagination as far as a premiere "gateway" to the city. Heck, Baltimore's stadium is much more of a welcome than what can be determined here. Even our current stadium at the wrong entrance (not including the bright new billboard in this). I'm not so impressed, I guess is what I'm saying.

Nabbed this picture from the opening vid on TenGig Festival's page. Surely not the most clear, but it must have been shot within the 2 weeks. You can see a lot of the construction progress in it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 9.54.55 PM.png

Couldn't resist adding another angle to this from a Westin Chattanooga ("Gold Building") video:

59cc5965a9816_ScreenShot2017-09-27at10_06_13PM.thumb.png.611d1bec4b8a31607515fa0e2a1297ab.png

Edited by xtianpoop
  • Like 1

Looks like 5 Points will fly up, looks like they are using pre-fabricated pieces.  Photo from Manning St. sorry it's a bit blurry, I was stopped in the road and a car was coming in both directions. 

IMG_1796.JPG

Edit: oh and the property next to Mike's Hole in the Wall on Cherokee blvd has been cleared, I believe it's another John Wise property.  North Chatt growth is crazy right now. 

Edited by Titans10

2 hours ago, Titans10 said:

Edit: oh and the property next to Mike's Hole in the Wall on Cherokee blvd has been cleared, I believe it's another John Wise property.  North Chatt growth is crazy right now. 

Yes, John Wise. Noticed today, too,  a permit (?) sign on Williams St. for "Williams St. Townhomes" presumably of the surface lot there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I saw the sign up, and someone tipping off on Chattanosy.com. Nice to see this happening, and with photos :tw_love: 

I hope he gets the rezoning, and that he builds it to the height of the penthouses being built next to the Nautillus building at Market x Frazier x Cherokee corner.

Here's the updated CTFP blip on it: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/oct/11/north-shore-hotel-proposed21-room-hotel-would/453802/

"'I don't know that the hotel part bothers me," she said, rather it's adding the extra height. "I'm reserving judgment.'

David Sherrill, manager of the Brewhaus pub at 224 Frazier, said a hotel could boost business. However, he said, the Walnut Street Bridge needs to be considered.

'If it's not built right, it could put a damper on the walking bridge," he said. "It sounds great if they take into consideration the walking bridge.'"

Edited by xtianpoop
Update the link and quotes.
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 5:24 PM, Titans10 said:

I can't believe this really the first hotel to be built on the North Shore. How are there not more hotels right off highway 27 in North Chatt?? 

There used to be 2 motels off 27.

I remember reading about opposition to hotels on the North Shore, but I've no idea. Guess would be until recently, the only part worth getting into was Frazier Ave, but it has been difficult for developers of any sort there for any type. Add the price to the difficulty, the growing CBD south, and the hotels clustering (in small part to River City Company), that would be where I hang my hat. Wasn't the time for North Shore.

I'm having a lazy Sunday, so I decided to throw together progress on the E 3rd St corridor while maybe inciting some fun conjecture of the future.

State Building Commission okays planning for new UTC building, put at 160k-200k sq ft, is to be finished in 5 years should everything go smoothly. Spot is E 3rd St and Palmetto. What could this look like? Let's take a look at Campus Master Plan from 2012.

59e3d06e91398_ScreenShot2017-10-15at5_11_17PM.thumb.png.2e9c806d4d9f04dd89ae87186ac00294.png

Seems to bleed into Erlanger's ongoing expansion, doesn't it? Let's see.

phase2.thumb.jpg.e7776cbd03ba700fe27da67b0374f3a4.jpg

UTC pings that block in 2012 study as "residential." Looks like that's changed now with combining student programs into one building and partnering with Erlanger & UT Health Science Center. What does the River City Company's 2016 report show for this spot?

59e3d18f9064d_ScreenShot2017-10-15at5_10_50PM.thumb.png.2629d39ba3c83b0e0e4c84cffcc16f1d.png

Maybe closer to an idea of what the facility could look like, but as we knew from the start of the post, the design is not only far from here, it will likely change many times over throughout the course of 5 years, as can be seen from the 4 years worth of reports above. Nonetheless, it's still fun to see the potential and what-could-have-been.

Bonus fun: Remember this?

1458586550_IMG_20160304_143731693_t1070_h7b56d2fd2c5699ac58d633e12c5d1275b62daafe.thumb.jpg.eaebbc57097e46354f5eeebeaea151e6.jpg

From 5 to 8-stories, this mixed-used apartments building on E 3rd & Central Ave (or location #7 in image above this), across from Erlanger looks to be moving forward. I haven't seen or heard signs, but DeFoor has been attached to it. The brothers are coming towards the end of their work with the Westin and the surrounding few blocks - now regrettably being referred to as the "West Village" - so they may soon take this on. Unless they are waiting for the Central Ave extension to Amnicola. We'll see if this one stays afloat or not. Last update 6/2017.

Edited by xtianpoop
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a lot of development on Chestnut, from 7th south to Riverside/Main. Now it looks like that will extend south of Main with approval for PILOT financing (Freddie Mac) for Chestnut Flats. This is the only rendering I've found, but it's very basic in design. That's because it's tagged "workforce" housing. Appears to be 4 stories and 174 units.  More than 1000 units in development in this area of downtown.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/nov/30/chestnut-flats-affordable-apartment-complex-c/458148/

http://www.rivercitycompany.com/dev/chestnut-flats

1512011155_20171129_160944_t1070_h840167484a000c1eab82b7667f6234f95bfacb8b.jpg

• Like 1

Not the best quality, but a screenshot I ripped from Cashew shows nice progress west along the North Shore. 

Density looking nice. If only we could throw in a stop light or two along Cherokee to help tame the speed, and we may just yet have a thriving, pedestrian corridor to add to our roster.

5a21b9dcd1a2f_ScreenShot2017-12-01at3_20_22PM.thumb.png.40fd8f21f712d07fbf422f94c7e3bfb0.png

It's interesting to see development patterns going west simultaneously- North Shore (leaving Frazier to move along Cherokee), Southside (firmly developing W Main St),  & even Westside (Riverfront Pkwy)

• Like 1

The growth in that area of North Chatt around Cherokee is astounding.  I've never seen a parking garage built so fast as they did building 5 Points, that building is flying up, they've almost framed the whole first story.  I believe John Wise is about to build another apartment building just a few blocks away from five points.  Soon enough it will be nothing but apartments and retail from the tunnel down. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Titans10 said:

The growth in that area of North Chatt around Cherokee is astounding.  I've never seen a parking garage built so fast as they did building 5 Points, that building is flying up, they've almost framed the whole first story.  I believe John Wise is about to build another apartment building just a few blocks away from five points.  Soon enough it will be nothing but apartments and retail from the tunnel down. 

I believe he is, too! The lot beside Mike's for sure. There's another one around there somewhere as well. I think we're getting more office soon. Casey's barge site has been hinted as such

I was thinking about why we don't see more development on the cross streets around Frazier, but then I realized 1) land is much cheaper off & around Cherokee Blvd and 2) I bet there are some (old) families holding onto land. This is my guess why the density, variety has remained limited over the years. I'm sure the merchants collective and neighborhood groups against height, gripping strict design, and against road improvements also have something to do with it as well :tw_wink: