Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

Lupi's downtown doubling in size by expanding into empty storefront next door :tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup:

Lupi’s Pizza Pies is expanding its downtown location.

“We’ve been in business for 21 years, and this is planning for the next 21 years,” owner Dorris Shober Tuesday. 

The Broad Street staple will double its 1,862-square-foot space by taking over the former Greyfriar’s Coffee & Tea Co. location next door, which has been empty for a couple of years. 

Three semifinalists selected in competition to enliven downtown Chattanooga alley

Forty-five proposals were submitted. They represent 11 countries, including the United States, Italy, France, Canada, Malaysia, India and China. Each proposal was evaluated by a design jury. Their feedback was given to a local selection committee, who narrowed the field to three.

1506393344_090817c01_728Market-003_t755_

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/dec/18/alley-finalists-selected-passageways-20/459387/

Alley Grass - Boston, MA

newoffice.jpg

City Thread - Syracuse, NY

sports1.jpg

Graffix Alley - Chattanooga, TN

_Graffix%20Collective__ProposalBoard.jpg

Edited by xtianpoop
Added article quote a/b entries
  • Like 2

Holiday Inn Express planned near Chattanooga Convention Center

Hotels either underway or planned for construction in 2018 in downtown Chattanooga:

* The Edwin, 90 rooms

* Moxy Hotel, 102 rooms

* Tru by Hilton, 114 rooms

* Holiday Inn Express, 114 rooms

Also proposed:

* 21-room hotel on Frazier Avenue by the Walnut Street Bridge

* Boutique hotel on Market near the Chattanooga Choo Choo

No photos as of yet, HOWEVER, Moxy has not only started construction finally, but has new renderings.

Moxy-Chattanooga-TN.jpg

Moxy-Chattanooga-TN-02.jpg

Moxy-Chattanooga-TN-03.jpg

Moxy-Chattanooga-TN-05.jpg

Despite looking presently like a self storage building, I am excited for this build for many reasons - like activating a dead surface lot. Glad to see it happening!

5a385e415e683_ScreenShot2017-12-18at7_31_48PM.thumb.png.2f2242848f52bbb5cb5157e7978e82cf.png

Edited by xtianpoop
Added Google Earth satellite model
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Titans10 said:

Mini North Shore skyline stretching across Fraiser and Cherokee. 

IMG_2487.JPG

Progress of 5 Points @north Shore 

IMG_2489.JPG

5 Points parking garage  

IMG_2491.JPG

Would love just 1 more story with 5 Points! The visual impact would be so great, helping both anchor the NW Cherokee growth and slowing traffic (if only a hair). I'm pleased either way though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 1:16 PM, MLBrumby said:

Apparently this article has been hanging online for over a week, but it appeared on today's TFP front page. 

New Night Spots with information about downtown development. Highlights Station Street and The West End. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/edge/story/2018/jan/01/play-time/460048/

I loathe the name "West Village" for the site. Even though the "West End" is as cringeworthy, I have to give it to the suburban developer brothers...it's pretty clever. The Westin in the West End

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chattanooga Is Changing. But Its Charms Remain.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/travel/chattanooga-is-changing-but-its-charms-remain.html

Found this to be rather enjoyable, and lacking the typical copy a lot of the I'm-visiting-Chattanooga articles get. I loved, too, that she brought in the bad. Thought it was well-balanced. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ripped from Rock Creek Aviation's Instagram.

Great view of the growing Cameron Harbor development. Townhomes along Riverfront Pkwy, 2 apartment buildings across from those next to the rehabbed dealership (now Chatt Whiskey). Office building at the intersection has the steel frame going up. If you squint, you can see the new apartment building  10 North on Cherokee Blvd. (Peep Market City beside SunTrust Building, too. Can even spot the Children's Hospital Outpatient building in the background)

5a9cc66d68116_ScreenShot2018-03-04at11_22_24PM.thumb.png.c6119ade1f06b7a0e0a6206d5f0f52bd.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of photos to  put up, but since I have no time, I want to share this photo I found this weekend on DeepZoom that I think you'll all enjoy.

Facing north on Market St. in 1967. Today's SunTrust building is under construction of what then was the "Taj Mahal of Chattanooga," known as American National Bank. Also rather interesting is that you can see the facade being put on the Hamilton National Bank, covering up the Beaux-Arts built in 1911. A lot of these buildings, especially on the block closest to us, are still alive and well today. The banks' insolvencies led to bolstering some of the legacy companies in Chattanooga and Tennessee, too.

marketst1960s.thumb.png.53bb2c61ef7b2542c1e8de4fba5067db.png

• Like 2

Nice pic. But the demolition of the EPB building was nothing short of a travesty. Just simply ill-conceived, especially considering the demand for converted office buildings to apartments/condos downtown. That's the 8 story brick/masonry building at right background with the lighted sign "Electricity" on its roof. Built in 1939 and taken down about 10 years ago after EPB moved into its new building on MLK. Of course, a parking lot today.  :(

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Nice pic. But the demolition of the EPB building was nothing short of a travesty. Just simply ill-conceived, especially considering the demand for converted office buildings to apartments/condos downtown. That's the 8 story brick/masonry building at right background with the lighted sign "Electricity" on its roof. Built in 1939 and taken down about 10 years ago after EPB moved into its new building on MLK. Of course, a parking lot today.  :(

Agreed. That parking lot is part of the low-density, low-rise part of downtown that I think contributes to not only blight aesthetics, but also to the perception of a smaller downtown. 10-stories would be great at minimum there, but even less would be hugely impactful there at the intersections of the two districts. I wish I remembered more what downtown was like when the EPB building was still there.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, xtianpoop said:

I have a bunch of photos to  put up, but since I have no time, I want to share this photo I found this weekend on DeepZoom that I think you'll all enjoy.

Facing north on Market St. in 1967. Today's SunTrust building is under construction of what then was the "Taj Mahal of Chattanooga," known as American National Bank. Also rather interesting is that you can see the facade being put on the Hamilton National Bank, covering up the Beaux-Arts built in 1911. A lot of these buildings, especially on the block closest to us, are still alive and well today. The banks' insolvencies led to bolstering some of the legacy companies in Chattanooga and Tennessee, too.

marketst1960s.thumb.png.53bb2c61ef7b2542c1e8de4fba5067db.png

I hope that some day soon folks there will come to their senses and tear that nasty facade off of that building and let the majestic old lady shine once more!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Developer “ventures” ahead with two downtown area projects

https://nooga.com/219065/king-street-and-west-end/

Developer Jimmy White—who is the owner of Urban Story Ventures and president of both King Street Station Property and West End Property—has projects on King Street and on what he’s dubbing the West End, which is on the site of the old Alstom plant.

King Street Station
The $30 million mixed-use project on the corner of King and Market streets includes two restaurants, Wanderlinger Brewery, office space, condos, a park and the Moxy Hotel

West End
Urban Story Ventures is also working to revitalize the former Alstom plant and adjacent buildings and land, which will revamp prime riverfront property with a project that will essentially double the downtown footprint. 

“It’s basically a whole new district,” White said of the 120 acres and $30-million investment. “It’s larger than the North Shore and Southside combined.”

• Like 2

5 Points North Shore finishing up 

1CB76814-8071-441D-B1AF-A985981F3341.jpeg

Foundation work on another apartment building by John Wise currently happening about a block away from 5 Points. 

Tons of projects happening on the Southside close to Finley Stadium are under construction 

Edited by Titans10

Stadium wars happening in Chattanooga. UTC and CFC might be out of Finley. UTC might be building it's own stadium at the old Engel Stadium.  Lookouts long rumored to be pushing for a new stadium.  This is getting messy. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/story/2018/aug/29/fight-finley-utc-could-move-venues-stadium-ow/477985/