Rebirth of Downtown Chattanooga (2006 and on)

• 4 weeks later...

Construction seems imminent now at the corner of Cherokee and Manufacturers on the North Shore. New apartments plannedhttp://www.imgur.com/gallery/zLLGCC7

Here is a little more info from today's paper

Developer to erect $10 million apartment building on Chattanooga's North Shore

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/jun/16/developer-erect-10-million-apartment-building-chattanoogas-north-shore/309883/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like North Chatt is heating up again, another apartment project. At the corner of Cherokee and Manning

http://timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/jun/23/more-north-shore-building-slated/310965/

cherokee-325-elevation-(1)-5-26-15.jpg?i

cherokee-325-elevation-(2)-5-26-15.jpg?i

I believe it's just a restaurant and Class-A office space above it, not apartments. Good news, nonetheless.

Another proposal for 1400 Chestnut...   http://nooga.com/170207/tax-breaks-for-southside-development-clear-city-council-vote/

df3c1350cccbf7dc40e74ec8afd7d3e960644_la

First rendering available for 728 Market St 10-story residential tower with office and retail on the bottom (and a "gentrified" alleyway)

ed8324aa18cb1cce6c769bf5550f16b062586.jp

http://nooga.com/170386/apartments-planned-for-vacant-lot-downtown/

Tax incentives approved for 728 Market.  https://youtu.be/tDEWTjdwW5o

Edited by MLBrumby

Another proposal for 1400 Chestnut...   http://nooga.com/170207/tax-breaks-for-southside-development-clear-city-council-vote/

df3c1350cccbf7dc40e74ec8afd7d3e960644_la

Tax incentives approved for 728 Market.  https://youtu.be/tDEWTjdwW5o

1400 Chestnut will be a nice project sitting next to that new park on the southside, I had to look at a map to figure out where that was

Chattanooga Choo Choo relocating Track 29 for luxury apartment complex

One of Chattanooga's biggest and best known hotel and entertainment facilities will soon make way for downtown's biggest apartment complex.

The Chattanooga Choo Choo plans to relocate its popular Track 29 concert venue next year to its Centennial Theater to open up more than 7 acres along Passenger Street for the development of 300 or more luxury apartments on the Southside of downtown.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jul/15/choo-choo-track-add-more-apartmentssouthside/314659/

071515a1track29map3293953877_t755_h2f298

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

Stemming from development announcements, I wanted to touch on office vacancy and demand. North Shore has popped up again with office spaces being developed - especially on Cherokee Blvd, and the Southside has had some small-scale infills recently, especially along E Main St. City Center is getting some attention finally, what with the 10-story res tower with office space on the first two floors (I believe the sq ft actually bests neighboring SunTrust building, but I could be misinterpreting). The old Krystal HQ is being redone with 3 relocations (2 from Southside), and the 10-story Edney Building is being filled by Co.Lab, the Enterprise Center, TVA for a few more years, and co-working spaces. Then the 5-story building between Market and Broad is being renovated as well, with Decosimo relocating its entire office. (The space left is already being filled by Regus.)

Vacancy has slowly been dropping in the central city, but I believe it is about to tip. The tipping point with infill and residential development. The 10-story "Gold Building" off Chestnut has been sitting on Chatt's vacancy, distracting from new office builds. It has, however, been involved with a live deal since 2008 to be turned into a Westin Hotel. I couldn't find details on this outside a rendering, but through word with someone who deals in private capital in the city, the deal has been affirmed ongoing. The Beaux-Arts MacLellan building on Broad, long sitting largely vacant, finally kicked the bucket with the Indigo Hotel deal and is in the process of being turned into residential living, as is the 4-5 story brick vacant brick building sitting behind its neighbor, the James Building, facing Chestnut. Lastly, the 10-story Bank Building on 8th - long vacant - is potentially turning into a hotel, as well. 

Point being, these 3 massive redevelopments - MacLellan, Bank, and Gold - in the Central City turning its long vacant office spaces into hotel and residential accomodations will shoot the office vacancy downtown to the floor. Albeit, with the new 728 Market development and those mixed-used around other districts in CBD (Northshore, MLK, Southside), the available office space will still be alive, but it begs the question. What next? 

I'm fairly new to the forum, so please 1) let me know if I need more links, 2) forgive me if this doesn't remain relevant to this thread. I feel office vacancy and potential redevelopment classifies in the rebirth (especially since last main blowout was Republic in 70s/80s cusp) of downtown, and 3) note that I don't ask "What next?" to spur speculation of skyscrapers like many threads go, but rather further create a dialogue about downtown development, especially in regards to infill, districts, and height zoning (lot of 2-3 story building in the heart of the City Center).

Aaaaaaaand go!

P.S. 2014 River City Co report on downtown CHA study, looking at different development opportunities. Interesting to boot.

http://www.rivercitycompany.com/new/pdf/River City Company Downtown Chattanooga Study Report Only January 2014.pdf 

Edited by cssullivan
  • Like 2

Good speculative overview!  I live in Chatty. Let me know if you want to start a Chattanooga meetup.  There was a fellow named Hankster in town... and someone else whom I'm not sure actually lives in Chattanooga. Anyway, we're bound to be able to get a few more folks interested in this site.  There really is a lot going on in our small city.  I do expect the population to breach 200k by the next census. 

• Like 2

Stemming from development announcements, I wanted to touch on office vacancy and demand. North Shore has popped up again with office spaces being developed - especially on Cherokee Blvd, and the Southside has had some small-scale infills recently, especially along E Main St. City Center is getting some attention finally, what with the 10-story res tower with office space on the first two floors (I believe the sq ft actually bests neighboring SunTrust building, but I could be misinterpreting). The old Krystal HQ is being redone with 3 relocations (2 from Southside), and the 10-story Edney Building is being filled by Co.Lab, the Enterprise Center, TVA for a few more years, and co-working spaces. Then the 5-story building between Market and Broad is being renovated as well, with Decosimo relocating its entire office. (The space left is already being filled by Regus.)

Vacancy has slowly been dropping in the central city, but I believe it is about to tip. The tipping point with infill and residential development. The 10-story "Gold Building" off Chestnut has been sitting on Chatt's vacancy, distracting from new office builds. It has, however, been involved with a live deal since 2008 to be turned into a Westin Hotel. I couldn't find details on this outside a rendering, but through word with someone who deals in private capital in the city, the deal has been affirmed ongoing. The Beaux-Arts MacLellan building on Broad, long sitting largely vacant, finally kicked the bucket with the Indigo Hotel deal and is in the process of being turned into residential living, as is the 4-5 story brick vacant brick building sitting behind its neighbor, the James Building, facing Chestnut. Lastly, the 10-story Bank Building on 8th - long vacant - is potentially turning into a hotel, as well. 

Point being, these 3 massive redevelopments - MacLellan, Bank, and Gold - in the Central City turning its long vacant office spaces into hotel and residential accomodations will shoot the office vacancy downtown to the floor. Albeit, with the new 728 Market development and those mixed-used around other districts in CBD (Northshore, MLK, Southside), the available office space will still be alive, but it begs the question. What next? 

I'm fairly new to the forum, so please 1) let me know if I need more links, 2) forgive me if this doesn't remain relevant to this thread. I feel office vacancy and potential redevelopment classifies in the rebirth (especially since last main blowout was Republic in 70s/80s cusp) of downtown, and 3) note that I don't ask "What next?" to spur speculation of skyscrapers like many threads go, but rather further create a dialogue about downtown development, especially in regards to infill, districts, and height zoning (lot of 2-3 story building in the heart of the City Center).

Aaaaaaaand go!

P.S. 2014 River City Co report on downtown CHA study, looking at different development opportunities. Interesting to boot.

http://www.rivercitycompany.com/new/pdf/River City Company Downtown Chattanooga Study Report Only January 2014.pdf 

great rundown! On my walk to nightfall a couple of weeks ago I began to notice several buildings being rehabilitated, one I think you mentioned on chestnut.

i wonder when the next big condo building goes up, I know from the last article I read that one northshore was down to its final unit , which meant  there is no more new constitution condos in the downtown area. I feel like all the recent announcements have been apartments, or did I miss something??

Good speculative overview!  I live in Chatty. Let me know if you want to start a Chattanooga meetup.  There was a fellow named Hankster in town... and someone else whom I'm not sure actually lives in Chattanooga. Anyway, we're bound to be able to get a few more folks interested in this site.  There really is a lot going on in our small city.  I do expect the population to breach 200k by the next census. 

Thanks! I'd definitely consider it. Especially once the summer wears down. I was a little disappointed by the estimates for 2014, but with the Harrison annexation (I think 6900 for the stretch), plus all the new development downtown alone, we should have a decent domestic push in the city numbers. Unsure of metro growth exceeding so far, minus North Georgia with their industry growth.

great rundown! On my walk to nightfall a couple of weeks ago I began to notice several buildings being rehabilitated, one I think you mentioned on chestnut.

i wonder when the next big condo building goes up, I know from the last article I read that one northshore was down to its final unit , which meant  there is no more new constitution condos in the downtown area. I feel like all the recent announcements have been apartments, or did I miss something??

Cameron Harbor on the Riverfront sold through phase i pretty quickly, which prompted them to purchase the older building off Molly Lane for an interesting apartment loft, coffee shop/retail situation adjacent to their 11 acres. I'm unsure of who holds it, but there is a small piece of land between the hotel and their 11 acres, that I think they're essentially holding as bait to have someone develop it to boost and complement their own. This holds high potential for condos, definitely.

On the North Shore, I believe the land on the riverfront next to 1 North Shore is certainly to have some condos in the next build, now that the Casey barge is away and the city is actively working to develop it. The potential there is quite high, and I can't help but think to Northern Kentucky with their glass build facing downtown Cincy. I won't be too gratuitous, but I would like to see an interesting, mid- to high-rise architecturally distinct piece on the property. They would be missing a huge chance, otherwise, considering the frame built on the Riverfront with the two Cathedrals of Conservation (TN Aquarium + expansion) and the amphitheater abut. (Not to mention the expected modern look of the VW Welcome Center teased at being located in that district. If that holds true, there are only so many parking lots to assume development.)

Speaking of parking lots, I see condos being in 3 other places. Behind Unum between the two decks is a parking lot. The idea has been for that to be residential with park or courtyard, and some retail and eateries. Proximity alone, and the prime selection of property- it's easy to surmise that the development will be condominiums. It would not make sense otherwise. Then you've the Choo Choo acreage as posted above.

Finally, I could see a few condos being included in the Lupton City redevelopment where the plant used to be. Plenty of potential and demand. LC, to me, marks the end (or the frontier) of the North Shore, North Chatt push. I tease and say "gentrification frontier," but really if you consider amenities, proximity, and costs...it's the natural move after Riverview has priced out. They're trying so hard to develop near there that they're even trying to wedge a neighborhood off of the S curves. 

Edited by cssullivan
  • Like 3

Lupton City is going to be the next neighborhood, I tried to buy a house in Lupton about 4 years that had just been remodeled, I gave them full asking price, they rejected my offer and jacked the price up $50,000, almost had me a great income property!

VW welcome center?? Are there talks of this on the North Shore?? Does VW have a North American headquarters like Nissan does?? If not, I wonder if that's anything that Chattanooga could land

VW welcome center to be on the riverfront, but not a HQ like in Franklin. It's to be more in the fashion of what BMW has in upstate SC. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jan/19/riverfront-eyed-welcome-center/283385/

I see it as a mix of advertising and museum. Really curious about the concept. "Welcome center" is dangerously vague.

N Market St this week was taken down to two lanes with bicycle lanes on each side. From W Manning at Publix up to Dallas. I guess it could be part of this project from 2002. I'm curious when Frazier will move towards that way. In the next two decades, I could see Frazier closing to all motor vehicle traffic.

Up the street from this I finally caught the name of the development carved into the giant hill of Dallas. "Cottages at Normal Park." Could only find site plans. Density is a plus, and this stretch of Dallas is due for new life. We'll just have to wait and see what they do with the houses. 19 single family cottages.

N Market St this week was taken down to two lanes with bicycle lanes on each side. From W Manning at Publix up to Dallas. I guess it could be part of this project from 2002. I'm curious when Frazier will move towards that way. In the next two decades, I could see Frazier closing to all motor vehicle traffic.

Up the street from this I finally caught the name of the development carved into the giant hill of Dallas. "Cottages at Normal Park." Could only find site plans. Density is a plus, and this stretch of Dallas is due for new life. We'll just have to wait and see what they do with the houses. 19 single family cottages.

the lane reduction needed to happen, that area was to small for a 4 lane road.  I know they announced a plan to bring Cherokee down to 3 lanes with bike paths and on street parking I believe, I'll have to find that article somewhere

here it is http://nooga.com/168519/bike-lanes-may-be-coming-to-cherokee-boulevard/

Edited by Titans10

• 2 weeks later...