I-24 eastward extension?

GSP Tiger

Northeast Georgia is rapidly growing. Atlanta's traffic efficiency is not the best in the world. Living in South Carolina, there is not a direct route to the bustling Chattanooga area.

I am aware of a proposed I-3 from Savannah, GA to Knoxville. There is quite some opposition to this route as it may transverse beautiful stretches of westernmost North Carolina and southeasternmost Tennessee.

I do not know it if is yet considered extending I-24 southeastward of Chattanooga. Obviously, I-24 would feed into north and northeast Georgia and eventually connect to I-85 for traffic northward to Greenville, SC. With the proposed interstate beltway around Chattanooga, it should be an idea worth considering.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard of any talk about an extension of I-24, but the idea intrigues me. I'm sure Zach Wamp (R-TN) would love to go after the federal money to expand the stretch of I-75 up to Cleveland and then expand US 64 across into NC... maybe over to I-85 west of Charlotte. Hmmm, I've always wondered which way was the best for people in the western Midwest to reach the beaches of the Carolinas.

That area of both states would benefit from better Interstate access, but it would run into opposition b/c of the natural beauty of the region. I think most average folks would be averse to new roads into unspoiled areas. Who knows?

Agreed, western North Carolina and perhaps southeastern Tennessee would like access to an interstate withought disrupting the natural scenery. An interstate may not be the best alternative yet a four lane limited access highway that connects to one may gain interest. I think US-64 currently fits this idea fron the Tennessee state line to Franklin, NC. (There is increasing support to widen US-64 to four lanes from there to Hendersonville, NC as a four lane divided and undivided highway.)

With I-75 and I-16, Chattanooga is linked to Savannah, GA. I am sure a link to Augusta, GA would be beneficial. Could I-24 go to Charleston, SC?

I'd love to see an extension of I-24 but have not heard of any proposals to that effect. 4 laning of US 64 through the Ocoee gorge has quite a bit of support, but I believe it may never get built due to it's excessively high cost. Cost estimates are on the order of $1 Billion for this road, and I'm afraid there's not enough traffic demand to support such an expenditure. Building an interstate all the way to Augusta from Chattanooga would cost several times that amount. Still it absolutely galls me to know that currently the fastest way to upstate SC is to go all the way down to Atlanta, fight their hideous traffic around I-285 and work my way back up I-85.

Still it absolutely galls me to know that currently the fastest way to upstate SC is to go all the way down to Atlanta, fight their hideous traffic around I-285 and work my way back up I-85.

Me too, and I live in Atlanta :lol:

I think that many folks who haven't been in that area of the country are unaware of how rugged the topo is there. It's beauty comes with other handicaps, but it's well worth the trip to see. I actually like it more than the Great Smokies (and I love them).

I think that many folks who haven't been in that area of the country are unaware of how rugged the topo is there. It's beauty comes with other handicaps, but it's well worth the trip to see. I actually like it more than the Great Smokies (and I love them).

I would highly recommend taking in that area of Northern Georgia. I only just saw some of the sights there for the first time just this past May. From Brasstown Bald to historic old towns like Dahlonega (where the first gold rush happened !), the waterfalls (Amicalola Falls - where you can stay in a lodge right above them with spectacular mountain views in the distance), to the similarly spectacular Tallulah Gorge. Georgia has a lot of gems ! :yahoo:

4 laning of US 64 through the Ocoee gorge has quite a bit of support, but I believe it may never get built due to it's excessively high cost. Cost estimates are on the order of $1 Billion for this road, and I'm afraid there's not enough traffic demand to support such an expenditure.

Building an interstate all the way to Augusta from Chattanooga would cost several times that amount.

I am sure the traffic and demand are there to warrant such a task in the future. The high cost is a product of very inflated prices.

There is only a certain amount of federal and state funds and taxes can go towards paying for the project(s). Raising the gas tax and building toll roads seem to be the most profitable options these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I know in the mid to late 90's that Georgia was considering an East/West Limited access road for North Georgia. It was called the Appalachain Scenic Parkway. I think the two reasons cited for building it were keeping more traffic out of Atlanta and helping spur more economic development in North Georgia. The proposed route ran from near Trenton GA due east through Dalton, GA to the GA SC line at I-85. It would also have served as a southern bypass for Chattanooga creating a shorter route for traffic between Nashville, and Atlanta. The residents of Lookout Mountain (between Trenton and Dalton) protested the road, as well as environmental interests and got it shelved. I think that GA is currently just widening existing roads to creat a 4 lane corridor instead.

On a side note Chattanooga has proposed adding a bypass to its 30 year road plan. It would follow the southern part of the route mention above except it would turn north before Dalton and go to Ooltewah, TN then over to Soddy Daisy, TN.

Here is the link I posted previously: www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t10315.html

On a side note Chattanooga has proposed adding a bypass to its 30 year road plan. It would follow the southern part of the route mention above except it would turn north before Dalton and go to Ooltewah, TN then over to Soddy Daisy, TN.

Here is the link I posted previously: www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t10315.html

I did not know about that bypass. Very interesting. I was aware of a high probability od widening Ooltewah-Ringgold Road to four lanes and thus providing an alternative and shorter route between those two towns than does I-75, but not the whole bypass.

ChattanoogaBypass.jpg

Went to the local newsstand and picked up a Chattanooga Times - Free Press (I really prefer it to our local AU-C).

Anyway, I saw that the Hixson/Soddy Daisy areas are booming with over 1 million sf of new retail. Plus, there's apparently early talk of a flyover for Hwy. 153. The article mentions that if it does get done in the next few years, then the area would like get a mall at least as large as Hamilton Place. I must admit that I'm not crazy about another mall... I think they quickly become retail slums.

I remember reading about the bypass last summer. Apparently, the plan is to go all the way to I-59 in Dade County. They would have to figure out how to get either over or through Lookout Mtn. (elev. 2400 ft). One huge concern is the caves and underground springs/sinkholes.

My jaw dropped when I saw that proposed road on the map. How on earth are they going to build that highway all the way to Trenton when there is the dramatically steep incline of Lookout Mountain in the way... and the spectacular Cloudland Canyon State Park, one of the most majestic parks in the state of Georgia seems to be right on the route ? Nevermind how many years it would take to grade the road west of Ringgold, the costs would be astronomical. Not very well thought-out.

Lookout would be the big issue in the western leg. Cloudland is more south and west of there. I'd hate for Cloudland to be disturbed... that's possibly the most beautiful spot in the south.

I've heard from a semi-reliable source that the whole western leg is still way, way up in the air... and there's not a lot of political will to build I-59 to I-75 (actually, I think that's where it would be needed most) Right now, the wealthy folks on Lookout aren't too excited about greater access to their little corner of paradise.

Anyway, you're right that the costs and engineering feats required through Lookout Mtn might prove to be prohibitive (andn ultimately kill the western plan for good). The eastern leg from i-75 to I-75 has a lot of momentum.

Lookout would be the big issue in the western leg. Cloudland is more south and west of there. I'd hate for Cloudland to be disturbed... that's possibly the most beautiful spot in the south.

I've heard from a semi-reliable source that the whole western leg is still way, way up in the air... and there's not a lot of political will to build I-59 to I-75 (actually, I think that's where it would be needed most) Right now, the wealthy folks on Lookout aren't too excited about greater access to their little corner of paradise.

Anyway, you're right that the costs and engineering feats required through Lookout Mtn might prove to be prohibitive (andn ultimately kill the western plan for good). The eastern leg from i-75 to I-75 has a lot of momentum.

IMO this road project has a pretty high probability of completion from I-75 north of Dalton to I-75 in Ooltewah, the section from Ootewah to Soddy-Daisy is both doable and fairly likely long term. The westward extension to I-59 in Trenton could be done with a tunnel under Lookout Mountain. A tunnel would probably only have to be about a mile long and probably wouldn't cost near as much as going over the top. A lot depends on how much political will there is in having this road. I'd say it's iffy at best even by 2030.

I actually had never heard of Cloudland until I visited it last year. I was so shocked there was anything like that in the Eastern U.S. (Usually, you have to go to places like Colorado -- Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction was quite comparable to the vista at Cloudland, but even they didn't have the waterfalls !). As for the highway, I'd agree that only the eastern leg seems particularly feasible or justifiable.

The stretch frm Ootewah to just above Dalton (I-75 to I-75) would probably cut 10 miles off the route between Atlanta and Knoxville. It would be most popular for travellers, but for that reason would be very controversial. Businesses along the current I-75 route and the city of Chattanooga would probably be dead set against it. The new route would be devastating to many hotels, restaurants, and other retail establishments which derive a significant portion of their business from travellers. One thing that might help the road to get built, would be for Chattanooga to annex the area where the new route would go. That is a possibility, but it would probably take at least 10 or 20 years before that happened.

One thing that might help the road to get built, would be for Chattanooga to annex the area where the new route would go. That is a possibility, but it would probably take at least 10 or 20 years before that happened.

Chattanooga and Hamilton County ought merge anyhow, same with Knox and Knoxville (and more controversially, probably Memphis & Shelby - though I've heard some valid arguments against the latter).

Chattanooga and Hamilton County ought merge anyhow, same with Knox and Knoxville (and more controversially, probably Memphis & Shelby - though I've heard some valid arguments against the latter).

I agree I think Chattanooga and Hamilton County should merge too. They had a vote on it in the 1970's it obviously didn't pass. I also think that all of the cities in Hamilton County should merge. Chattanooga, East Ridge, Red Bank, Signal Mountain, Soddy Daisy, Lookout Mountain, Lakesite, Colledgedale, and Ridgeside. I think I listed them all. If they all merged that would be a lot savings in duplicated services. I don't think it will ever happen because that would be higher property taxes for everyone except those in Chattanooga.

As far as I-24 and the bypass go. There really isn't any room wo widen I-24 west of downtown along the river or at the ridge cut east of downtown. They only way to relieve traffic would be to build some sort of southern bypass. That give Atlanta and Nashville traffic an alternate route. I don't know if any of you have been caught in a traffic jam on I-24 but it doesn't take much to bring it to a stand still any time during the day not just rush hour, and there is no good alternate route between Tiftonia and downtown.

• 5 months later...

I wish there was a bypass around Chattanooga to I-75 for when I'm on the road to Atlanta. It would probably shave 30 miles off the trip

There is one proposed, it is supposed to be added to the 30 year transportation plan. I posted it on this thread, but it's old. It will be interesting to see how TDOT and GDOT work it out.

I'd like to see I-24 extended east into North Carolina and ends in Charlotte or Rockingham (I-73/74) It will provide a direct link from Chattanooga to Charlotte without having to drive up to I-40 or taking a dangerous US 64/74 along

Either that, or I would like to see it extended to Greenville, SC roughly following the route of US 76 from Dalton heading east across North Georgia into South Carolina.

Archived