CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Federal Courthouse

goodbye

I believe construction is scheduled to begin in 2010 and be completed in 2013. The 2010 start date is mostly based on how long they anticipate it taking to obtain federal funding, so I assume that the start date could be moved up or pushed back depending on that.

I really, really hope they don't choose some bland structure for this building. For the long wait we'll have until this is completed, let's make it worth it!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Question about the site, or the "preferred" site, for the new Federal Courthouse:

Will it extend all the way to Coffee Street? I'd assume they'd take up that whole block from North, Spring, Coffee, and that alley-type street. If so, then I tend to like this location less and less... Coffee Street has a lot of potential for development and is already one of the most walkable streets downtown, IMO. We've all seen what the back of a Courthouse CAN do to a street (e.g. Greenville County Courthouse's presence on Beattie Pl). Nothing! I'll have to wait until some plans are made public (which will be a while), but I sincerely hope they address North AND Coffee Streets as pedestrian access points, leaving neither with the 'cold shoulder' feel.

Archived