CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Federal Courthouse

goodbye

The city has ideas for how to link main st. to the new Court House and the Bilo center.

I remember seeing a map from the city showing areas where streetscape improvements will be made... on Beattie/College and Spring Streets. Maybe other streets, too, but those were the ones I recall. I would imagine that this would be part of a larger plan, but I don't know. At any rate, changes are in store.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Article on today's Greenville News about the location of the new federal courthouse. It states that it will most likely be across the street from the original site:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/710110361

I am confused. How can it be on the old Palmetto Bank site? Isn't that where the new Palmetto Bank headquarters will be?!? Or is there room on that parcel of land for a federal courthouse highrise as well? If it will fill in a surface lot, that would be great. Plus, this location will be very close to the current courthouse.

I am also curious to hear more about the master plan for downtown presented by Sasaki and Associates. I hope they came up with some innovative and creative stuff. :thumbsup:

Thoughts on all of this?

Article on today's Greenville News about the location of the new federal courthouse. It states that it will most likely be across the street from the original site:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/710110361

I am confused. How can it be on the old Palmetto Bank site? Isn't that where the new Palmetto Bank headquarters will be?!? Or is there room on that parcel of land for a federal courthouse highrise as well? If it will fill in a surface lot, that would be great. Plus, this location will be very close to the current courthouse.

I am also curious to hear more about the master plan for downtown presented by Sasaki and Associates. I hope they came up with some innovative and creative stuff. :thumbsup:

Thoughts on all of this?

Could this be on the other side of the original site, by the Church Street garage where that old funeral home is. If so that is a small footprint too and could make for some good height. The land adjacent to the property is surrounded on all sides. To the north the Greenville County Courthouse, to the west the church, south East North and Beattie merge. The only other place I can imagine is on the side with the garage. I'm not sure if that funeral home is still in use but I'm pretty sure it's not. Just a thought.

Could this be on the other side of the original site, by the Church Street garage where that old funeral home is. If so that is a small footprint too and could make for some good height. The land adjacent to the property is surrounded on all sides. To the north the Greenville County Courthouse, to the west the church, south East North and Beattie merge. The only other place I can imagine is on the side with the garage. I'm not sure if that funeral home is still in use but I'm pretty sure it's not. Just a thought.

That black building on the corner by the Church Street garage. I always thought at one point that building used to be a funeral home. Its the intersection of Church and Beattie Place. You have on one corner 2 Liberty Plaza, the other is Greenville County Courthouse, the 3rd Memorial Auditorium site (original site for Federal Courthouse), and the 4th corner is said name building. It looks to me like its been vacant. At least I've never seen anyone go in or out of it when I've passed it.

I don't know the building's history but it looks too small to have been a funeral home. it is currently the offices for Hughes Development.

That site would have the same issues with one way traffic and such that the original site would have, so that only would most likely disqualify it. Plus the footprint would be too small.

My guess is the surface lot next to the Palmeto Bank is what is being referred to.

I don't know the building's history but it looks too small to have been a funeral home. it is currently the offices for Hughes Development.

That site would have the same issues with one way traffic and such that the original site would have, so that only would most likely disqualify it. Plus the footprint would be too small.

My guess is the surface lot next to the Palmeto Bank is what is being referred to.

• 1 month later...

Archived