Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

I am about to go up to Alexandria for a two-day workshop. Do they get WWL up there??

If you don't have access to internet, I wouldn't doubt that WWL's signal goes up to Alexandria, especially later in the day. WWL has one of the strongest signals in the nation, 50,000+ watts. I picked it up in Houston, clearly, in them middle of the day, a couple of years ago.

If you don't have access to internet, I wouldn't doubt that WWL's signal goes up to Alexandria, especially later in the day. WWL has one of the strongest signals in the nation, 50,000+ watts. I picked it up in Houston, clearly, in them middle of the day, a couple of years ago.

Wow, that is strong! You might want to try at night as well--the sun won't be able to interfere with the signal as much meaning it'll go out farther. I've picked up a few stray signals from Mexican stations and station in Minnesota before (and that's from all the way out here in Georgia!). With a signal as strong as WWL's appears to be, I don't think you'd have a problem finding it at night.

Speaking of which, I'll have to try looking for it right now on my own radio, since it's nighttime after all.

About 5 years ago, when I was 17, I was making the drive from Texarkana, AR to New Orleans by myself, and while I was nearing Shreveport at about 4:00am, I decided to scan the AM dial to see what I'd get. I ended up getting some trucker show from Idaho. It's that kind of stuff that makes me love AM radio. :lol:

When I was a young kid my dad used to tell me about the times when he lived in Washington D.C. and how he used to listen to the old trucker shows coming out of WWL in New Orleans at around midnight, as WWL's signal went all the way up the Eastern Seaboard. Always thought that was interesting.

Anyway, IC, I'd love to know of you are able to pick up WWL over there in Atlanta. I bet that you'd be able to at this time, especially so in a few hours.

NEW ORLEANS -- About $16,000 worth of belongings was reported stolen from the home of the late Marquise Hill's mother while she was at the funeral for her son, a New England Patriots lineman who drowned last week, police said Wednesday.

No suspects have been identified in Saturday's burglary at the eastern New Orleans home of Sherry Hill, who told police that she left for her son's funeral at 10:45 a.m. and discovered the break-in when she returned around 5:45 p.m.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2895875

I dunno, but with all this young man reportedly did for NOLA and its storm victims during his lifetime, its really sad to see that same crowd turn around and steal from his own mother when she's attending his funeral.

Anyway, IC, I'd love to know of you are able to pick up WWL over there in Atlanta. I bet that you'd be able to at this time, especially so in a few hours.

As luck would have it, I forgot to do that, but I'll give it a try tonight.

As for the story about the things stolen from Marquise Hill's mother's house, I agree with Uptown New Orleans' assessment. It really is sad.

^Man..THAT SUCKS :sick::angry: Some selfish losers! What comes around, goes around. Those punks will get theirs.

Some better news.....The Birmingham News has high expectations, predicts L.S.U. #1 in SEC West; Florida #1 SEC East

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2007/jun/06/al/frame/

It starts with D-Lineman Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson! Both future NFL-ers. The defense as a whole should be even stronger for the Tigers, even without Landry. LBers are very solid! Zenon and Chevis Jackson are good CB's. Safety Craig Steltz(6-2" 208) tied for most INT's last season, despite starting only a few games, will be in good hands.

LSU always seems to do a great job of spliting carries between the RB's. (remember Addai) If Keiland Williams carried the ball 25 times a game, no doubt he would get some Heisman Trophy consideration. A blend of power and speed at 220lbs. running 4.45!!! :tough: But I look for Alley Broussard to come back strong his Sr. year! Jacob Hester is a dependable hard nose player; and redshirt freshman *star in the making* Richard Murphy waiting in the wings. Charles Scott makes RB depth impressive!

Look for Early Doucet to be one of the nations leading recievers in new O-Coordinator Crowton's spread offense!

Edited by richyb83

Yep, the college football season is approaching! Yesterday on ESPN Kirk Herbstreit picked LSU QB Matt Flynn to be a "suprise performer" in the SEC this season, and he predicted that LSU will face Florida in the SEC Championship. :thumbsup:

Wow I did not hear that about Flynn from Herbstreit; but I did hear him say DT-Glen Dorsey was the Best All-Around Player in the Country.

Looks like Herbstreit has taken off his "Bias" Big Ten glasses after eating last year's humble pie. He thought Ohio State/Michigan should have had a BCS Rematch :rolleyes:

Some people say no way can you compare Flynn to ex-LSU QB- Matt Mauck; but I think it's a good comparison. While very few QB's are gonna have Jamarcus Russell's arm strength; Flynn makes up for it in other areas, including his suprising 4.53 speed.

For 4-years Tennessee's QB- Peyton Manning could never get the Vols to the "Top". Next year Tee Martin(Mobile AL) comes in to start and the Vols win the National Championship. Ex-LSU QB-Rohan Davey had solid years but could not get the Tigers to the Top; then next season bring in Matt Mauck to start and LSU Wins the National Title!

It can be done!!! Athlon's has LSU Pre-Season ranked #3; SI had them #2...I would love to the see a BCS Showdown in New Orleans vs. the #1 USC Trojans :yahoo: With Louisiana native QB Booty boy coming back to his home state; getting pounded and being chased by LSU's speedy D-Line and LBers!!! Like USC loss to UCLA late last season 13-9.

***5th Annual Bayou Bowl**

Louisiana All-Stars vs. Texas All-Stars(Greater Houston, SE TX, as far north as Lufkin)

Tonight 8:00 on FSNH(Live NFL Network) from Baytown Texas

The game will feature 4 Future LSU Tigers...

For Louisiana...

*Parade All American DB Chad Jones(BR-Southern Lab) who was picked in 13th Round by the Astros in MLB Draft this week.

* D-Lineman Kentravis Aubrey(Bastrop) and Drake Nevis(John Ehret)

From Texas...

O-Lineman Jarvis Jones (Houston-Lamar Consolidated)

Should be interesting seeing them go head to head!!!

^The game was this past saturday..

Final Score:

Texas- 15

Louisiana- 31

:D

On the website, they have the score reversed, with Texas winning. But that obviously wasn't the case. Louisiana was up 31-7 at one point late in the 3rd quarter.

Ha, ha, ha, they need to fix that website. :lol: You could tell after the game the Texas announcer was a little perplexed. The announcer said "this is a wake-up call for Texas, more area players need to step up and participate in this game. Because Louisiana is bringing their best from all across the State."

Not so fast.... :stop: Many of La.'s Top Players did not play. (#2 player U.S.) Joe McKnight-going to USC; (#1 WR in La.) DeAngelo Benton-LSU; West Monroe's duo D-Lineman Luther Davis-Alabama and Will Blackwell-LSU; DB(listed on roster)Stefoin Francios-LSU....All did not play! The list-goes on.....And Chad Jones barely played. I had never even heard of the starting QB who is going to tiny Ark-Monticello.

The D-Line for La. was a very strong force this year. That was the difference in the ball game. As much stuff as Loiusiana has wrong/negative with it; Football is not one of them. Per Capita Louisiana is Ranked #2 according to Rivals.com with players "currently" in the NFL!!!

Sorry I mentioned the game on Saturday, and never even posted the final score! How do you like that :lol: Yes Louisiana now leads this series 3-2. Winning 31-15. Every game in the series has been extremly close til this one.

2003 Texas Won 32-29; 2004 Texas Won 17-15;

2005 Loisiana Won 10-7; 2006 Louisiana Won 7-3.

They hve to make it fair as possible with Louisiana's population being only about 4.5 million....Greater Houston(+5million) population being even more. Not sure of the exact boundries are because I would not consider Lufkin(eastex) where (WR-Dez Bryant is from) Greater Houston. I know Galveston is part; but not Beaumont. Anyway it's close enough I guess??

I am thankful for Texas, LSU gets some needed stud O-Lineman from there.

Edited by richyb83

Hey guys, I just found this photo on Flickr and had to share it.

The photo is a professional's work so I figured I'd respect his work by linking to it rather than hotlinking it.

Anyway the photo is of a women's soccer game between Southern-BR and LSU-Shreveport. It shows a player getting slammed in the face by a ball while she's being blocked. The poor girl, in my opinion, actually appears to be getting slammed in the face and the back of the head at the same time. Anyway, what a lucky, awesome shot!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photogenius05/562936877/

That little chick is probably so used to the brutality of soccer since she plays on the collegiate level, I bet she didn't even shed a tear... which is quite impressive if she didn't. Those soccer girls are tough!! :tough:

But no matter how tough she is, there's no denying that getting smacked in the face with a soccer ball like that must hurt like hell!! :wacko:

This is pretty cool...

Ad campaign helps fuel Beckham hype

Article from the USA Today

Adidas has put together a huge advertising campaign with Reggie Bush, one of America's most well known athletes, and David Beckham, one of the most popular athletes in the entire world. It will feature David Beckham in a Saints uniform while Reggie Bush shows him the ropes of American Football, while David Beckham will show Reggie the ropes of what the rest of the world knows as "futbol." The ad campaign will be titled "Football vs Futbol"

And one thing to remember is that with these huge stars will bring amazing PR to the Saints organization and the city of New Orleans. "New Orleans Saints" will be seen worldwide in print and on TV, along with the logo, uniforms, etc. Things like this make you realize how pro sports can bring so much attention to a city. The amount of people around the world that will see "New Orleans" is pricless to the city, and the amount of people around the world that will see "New Orleans Saints" is priceless to the team.

David Beckham in a Saints helmet:

r1520827753dt9.jpg

And here's an article from a British paper about the ad campaign:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1773

Thanks for posting this Nate. What great worldwide recognition for the beloved Saints. Maybe Beckham can battle it out with new kicker Olindo Mare??? :lol:

Not sounding negative, but the "bandwagon" fans need to stay aboard the ship if the Saints lose few games. I know there are "true" Saints fans out there, but some fans came out of the cracks like roaches last year.

Since Katrina, I think alot more people appreciate the Saints too ;)

Edited by richyb83

Generally I don't take too kindly to bandwagon fans. It's funny how no one was hardly riding for the Saints, but all of a sudden everyone and their mama is a Saints fan. I'm willing to bet that most New Orleans folk started becoming Saints fans after they had a good season, clowns <_< If you want to ride for your team, that's good. Ride for your team through the good & bad.

Amen to that Uptown! Well said. :thumbsup: God knows I have endured some miserable seasons with the Saints. That's what made this past season so sweet! The last season with Haslett, Aaron Brooks and crew at 3-13 was as painful as any. Be "true" to your team! Like you said, thru the good and the bad.

Edited by richyb83