Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

I wouldn't say that most New Orleanians jumped on the bandwagon after the Saints started winning, but most fans outside of SE/south Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. I met some "lifelong" Saints fans in Chicago who knew nothing about the team except...."Reggie Bush!!!" ;)

I mean, hell, the Superdome had its 70,000 seats sold out last year when the population of New Orleans was only estimated to be about twice that number. And the Superdome was always at least 90% full in the decade prior, even through the miserable Ditka years.

Thanks alot for posting this Nate! Wow! :w00t: That sure was entertaining! I have to find a way to send this video to my brother. Reggie Bush vision and open-field moves are phenominal! You can't get better than last years rookies Reggie and Colston.

Would like to see Reggie race Trindon!!! :shades:

Good News on College Football's "Fastest Player".....LSU track star Trindon Holliday...he qualified for the World Games in Japan later this Summer in the 100-meter dash & 400 yard relay, but declined to focus instead on football!!! :yahoo: He would have missed Fall Camp and the first two games this season if he had gone. His blistering time was 10.07 in the 100 yard dash!!!

If any of you saw LSU play Arkansas in the last year?? Know just how FAST Holliday is; with a 92 yard TD Kick-off return to seal the deal!!! Last Fall he was timed at a jaw dropping 4.27 in the 40!

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?...p;ATCLID=944659

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/8201847.html

Sorry I don't have the video anymore.

Edited by richyb83

My Wish: Devan and Drew

http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/search?s...y=0&=Submit

An excellent piece; made me really proud to be a Saints fan. Just seeing how happy that kid was, and how the entire organization made it a #1 priority to treat him like a king, was extremely touching.

To see the video, click the link above, and then click on "My Wish: Devan and Drew Brees"

When the video player opens, click the "NFL" tab, and then click the My Wish: Drew Brees icon.

More good sports news...

Hornets' training facility approved

In 'crucial' vote, state allocates $18 million

Times-Picayune Article

L_IMAGE.111e59f635a.93.88.fa.d0.2bb1519f.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The last paragraph of the article also had some great new info on the continued renovations of the Superdome...

Thornton said most of the exterior work at the Superdome won't begin until after the Saints' 2007 season is finished. The Phase II improvements consist of adding exterior glass and VIP escalators to the four club rooms on each corner of the Dome and repairing the outdoor sign pylon, which has been inoperable since Hurricane Katrina.

Yeah Nate, I remember that nice run, but I can't believe how easily he was caught from behind. He kept looking backward way too much. He(Justin Vincent) was only timed at 4.66 at Pro Day. Main reason why he wasn't even drafted.

I liked the Hornets Draft O.K. I guess....they seem to be pleased with 6'-8" Julian Wright-Kansas still being on the board. Seems like a high-character guy too. 2nd round pick Adam Haluska-Iowa is a sharp-shooter. I guess give it a few years.

How did you like the Hawks draft IC?? I like both picks Al Horford and Acie Law. It's good they did not select PG-Conley first.

Edited by richyb83

How did you like the Hawks draft IC?? I like both picks Al Horford and Acie Law. It's good they did not select PG-Conley first.

Well, personally, I would have preferred it if they had chosen a point guard at #3, but Horford is a good catch. I look forward to hearing good things about him in the coming years. Joe Johnson needs a little company in the scoring area.

Acie Law was a good pick as well.

Thanks for posting this good, heart warming news. Just what the Saints and the community needs! Hopefully the eastern sections of the city will continue to rebound; eventhough it's painfully slow.

One of my favorite lines from another good guy...

Native New Orleanian and former St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk says, "The Saints made the right decision signing Drew Brees

Edited by richyb83

Former Eagles free agent linebacker Dhani Jones was a guest host on NFL Total Access yesterday on the NFL Network, and he announced that he signed a 1 year contract with the Saints. He played for the Giants for 4 years, and then spent the last 3 playing for the Eagles.

ESPN article

BTW, for you football fans without the NFL Network....get it! get it! get it! It is without a doubt, the greatest thing on TV! :yahoo:

Pre-Season Rankings...USC #1...LSU #2 ??? Many fans would like to settle this once and for all in this years Championship Game to be played in New Orleans!!!!! :yahoo: It won't be easy, it's a long road. Hopefully "both" teams will still be standing, ready for this match-up??

The brash, sometimes cocky Miles has only added fuel to this fire that started back in the 04' "Split" title dispute!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ....usc/index.html

New Orleans makes a push to host the NFL draft

ESPN Article

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans is hoping it gets picked for the NFL draft.

The Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation has sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seeking to host the annual draft and turn it into a week-long celebration -- complete with events including a Mardi Gras-style parade and civic events involving retired NFL players.

This is GREAT NEWS Nate!!! Thanks for posting this. :w00t: Give it a shot New Orleans!!!!

More "New Orleans" Sports related News!!! I think New Orleans is up for the task ;) 08' Sugar Bowl/BCS Challenge

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/8504777.html

Doing a good job in January of double hosting the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the BCS National Championship game may be almost as important.

Though the Sugar Bowl has been firmly entrenched in the BCS rotation since its inception, Hoolahan, the game

Edited by richyb83

In terms of the city of New Orleans, there's not even a question if it can host both games. It's really more about the Sugar Bowl organizers pulling it all off, which I'm sure they will be able to do. In terms of New Orleans hosting it all....well, there's a reason why this city has hosted more Super Bowls than any other, or why it brings in over 10 million tourists per year. ;)

Yep Nate, New Orleans is the ultimate host. I hope the Super Bowl will consider 2012??

Thanks for the ESPY update. No suprise there, Steve Gleason and Curtis Deloatch names will go down in history. It was just meant to be that Monday Night, the Great Spirit was with them!

Thanks for the LSU article..The HOME schedule is as good as it gets...pre-season Top 10 Virginia Tech; Florida; Auburn; So.Carolina; Arkansas :yahoo:

It will be interesting to watch New O-Coordinator Gary Crowton with Matt Flynn in the "Gulf Coast Offense". Getting the O-Line in check is priority, the Tigers have plenty of RB's to do the damage. Keiland Williams 223lbs./4.45 40 will be an NFL "1st Rounder" one day(hopefully NOLA to host Draft by then??). Redshirt freshman Richard Murphy is a "super sleeper"; Looked like a "big-timer" in the Spring! I think Alley Broussard will be "on a mission" for his Sr. year with a healthy knee!

I look for Early Doucet to be amongst the leaders in receptions in the country. TE-Richard Dickson is the best recieving TE at LSU in awhile.

The LSU D...."Devastating"!!! Lead by Glen Dorsey!!!

Crazy the Tigers and Saints both open their regular seasosn on consecutive Thursday's.

Edited by richyb83

Not Louisiana news, but HUGE NFL news...

Falcons' Vick indicted by grand jury in dogfighting probe

ESPN Article

Michael Vick has been indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the dogfighting probe of his property in Virginia.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

Dog fighting is cruel enough. But after hearing that Vick killed some losing dogs thru electrocution, hanging, drowning, slamming etc. If true?? He's as big a loser as there is on the planet!

I would like to see a Pit Bull attack Vick and see what happens??

Edited by richyb83

Oh no, I disagree. This isn't some local case anymore, this is the federal government. The indictment says "United States of America vs Michael Vick" and there's no way he will be able to essentially outbid the federal government for defense lawyers. The feds don't mess around; they have a conviction rate that hovers around 95%. Vick faces 6 years in federal prison and fines of up to 350,000. The fines don't matter, but based off what I've read and personally heard from people familiar with federal law, Michael Vick could very well find himself in prison. This is a "big fish" and the feds won't let him off because of his fame and fortune. If the feds can easily convict Martha Stewart, Kenneth Lay, or even Al Capaone, Michael Vick should be nothing.

Again, this isn't some local prosecutor with something to prove, this is the United States government. OJ went up aginst the Los Angeles court system; Mike Vick has a much more brutual trial ahead, in terms of what he'll be up against.