Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Mike VI Arrives Safely at LSU

LSU's newest mascot, Mike VI, has arrived safely at his new home at LSU. It may take a couple of weeks for him to become acclimated to his new surroundings. I hope all goes well for him. Interesting that the opening game of the season is against Viginia Tech. That should be an emotional scene.....

The Clarion-Ledger

Thanks for posting this Tom. Always cool too see LSU news coming out of Jackson MS. Some were hoping for another tiger cub; but being only two years old is young enough IMO. From the start, Mike VI will have the luxury of staying in the nice new habitat :shades:

Crazy that LSU opens at Miss. State already this THURSDAY! on ESPN! (Saints also open for NFL the next Thursday; how ironic!)

Yeah it should be emotional, I guess you could call this match-up Sept. 8th the Tragedy Bowl #2 LSU vs. #9 Va.Tech....now the Hokies are the team with the heavy hearts; as LSU was in 05' w/ Katrina. Interesting fact since 2000...Both teams have the same W-L record at 65-18! Also on ESPN at 8:15...a little later than normal.

Edited by richyb83

*Nice article from the Washington Post*

Dorsey Passing on NFL Draft to Persue National Championship! I am glad he stayed! Considered by many to be College Football's Top Defensive Tackle on arguably the Nations Best Defense!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...hpid=sec-sports

And....enough of the pre-season. The Saints/Steelers should be exempt from 5th game if they choose so; after playing in (extra) Hall of Fame Game. None of the offensive starters will play in the last game vs. Dolphins Thursday Night in the dome.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? Less than 2 hours away!!! LSU at Mississippi State on ESPN at 7:00!!!! :yahoo::tough:

LSU vs. USC : The Battle for #1

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=265013

Yeah, this matters. There's the LSU fan who was so incensed by Southern California's claim to a piece of the 2003 national title that he put up a billboard 1,500 feet from the Los Angeles Coliseum clearly stating that the real national champion for '03 was the BCS champ.

On the road with the cow bells ringin' and the rain falling the Tigers overcame a slow start to beatdown the Bulldogs 45-0! Keiland Williams had 2 TD's; Matt Flynn threw 2 TD's (Early Doucet, Charles Scott) and back-up QB Ryan Perrilloux came in in the 4th qtr. to throw a TD and run for another!

The Defense looked solid! LSU had 6 Int's!!! :wacko: Craig Steltz(Rummel HS) intercepted 3 passes;

The O-Line still needs some work with inexperienced right-side. #7 Va.Tech with their powerful Defense comes to BR next Saturday.

It was a nice start for most of Louisiana's College Football Teams; Besides the LSU 45-0 blow-out of Miss. State:

* Tiny Nicholls State SHOCKS :w00t: Rice 16-14!!!

* Southern had an impressive 33-27 WIN over Florida A&M on the road in Tallahassee!

* Grambling handled business vs. Alcorn 31-10!

* McNeese State(ranked#10) walloped Portland State 35-12!

* La.Tech beat Div II Central Arkansas 28-7!

* Northwestern St.(NW La.) easily beat Div. II Henderson State 41-6.

* UL-Lafayette lost 14-28, but played tough against South Carolina of the SEC!

In less than 72 hours the NFL Season Kicks Off with the Saints playing the Super Bowl Champ Colts !!!! :yahoo:

Where dem Urban Sports Fans.....for the Best Time of the Year?? Football Season!!!!

:o Especially after #2 ranked LSU's 48-7 beatdown of #9 Va.Tech Sat. nite in Tiger Stadium's Largest Crowd Ever (92,737)

Outgaining them in total yardage 598-147! LSU has now outscored there opponets 93-7 in two games :tough: The Defense is scary good!

Check this out! Keiland Williams doing an impersonation of Super Man on this 67 yard TD in the 2nd Qtr.

lsufootwilliams90907jq2.jpg

I know I'm not the only one that was suprised to see the defending Super Bowl Champ Colts blast the Saints 41-10. What suprised me most was the Saints did not even score a TD on offense; all the 6 yard completions weren't getting it done.

Hopefully the Saints will rebound at Tampa Bay this Sunday??

The Saints need to get something going in the next game, or I'll be very worried about the remainder of the season. It was a team contribution to the loss again Tampa Bay today. I guess the "sophomore slump" is something to worry about. Hopefully, practice this week will fix some of the glaring problems with the secondary, ball handling, and offensive line.

Not only practice, but going over game film to see what mistakes were made and how they can be corrected should help us get back in the game. Hopefully the Saints won't go 0-3 because then, our playoff chances may be shot. On a side note, Dallas (one of my other squads) put a hurtin' on Miami so they're 2-0.

• 2 weeks later...

This poor Sports thread.....

Is it because of the Saints dug themselves into a hole after an awful 0-3 start?? After being blasted by the Colts and sleep walking vs. the Bucs; I surely figured they would return to the Dome to get their 1st "W"! The Saints collapse in the 4th qtr. vs. Titans was painful to watch; it looked like they had 14 defenders on the field with all those INT's. To make matters worse Deuce is out for the season with knee injury; maybe career threatening :( Now the Saints have a bye/extra week to figure something out.

National Championship contender #2 ranked L.S.U. is looking strong! 4-0 after beating 12th rank So.Carolina by 12 on a wet field; QB with gimpy ankle; and without go-to WR Early Doucet(hopefully to comeback vs. Florida??). The Tigers have outscored their opponets 165-23 :tough: They face Tulane in the Dome Saturday as 40 point favorites!

Other college football teams around the state have started strong this season; (4-0) Southern U.; (3-0) McNeese; Nicholls St. (3-1); NW La. (2-1); and Grambling (2-1)-only loss to 1A-Pitt.

I think it's a nice gesture for LSU to go play in the Dome to try and help the city of New Orleans; the early kickoff time of 11:00a.m. has hurt ticket sales.

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT a GAME SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!!! No doubt the Best Game I have ever witnessed inside Tiger Stadium!

An epic matchup between the Top Ranked(now undisputed) LSU Tigers and Florida Gators! The "wounded, dangerous" defending National Champs had LSU on the ropes most of the game trailing after 3 qtrs. 24-14. But LSU refused to lose winning 28-24 in the final minute! Coach Les Miles showed serious guts going 5 for 5 on 4th downs! Not many coaches would ever attempt this!

>>UP NEXT at 17th ranked Kentucky in Lexington; CBS 2:30

*McNeese St. and Nicholls St. are looking strong leading the way in thier Southland Conference; Grambling and Southern are near the Top in the SWAC.

Sunday not so good for football. The Saints controlled most of the boring game, but have seemed to forget on how to win?? Losing to the Panthers on the final play, a 52 yard FG. Needless to say the Saints are 0-4 and auditioning some new Kickers(Vanderjagt); new kicker Olindo Mare has been awful.

>>UP NEXT at the Seahawks on NBC Sunday night.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, bet QC had been drinkin' plenty too!

Don't look now, but the Saints have won three in a row after dominating the 49ers 31-10! Drew Brees throws for 4 TD's( 3 to Colston) and the Defense was impressive! Now only a game behind in the NFC South. Still I'm hurting from the Panther loss, that's one the Saints slip away.

Speaking of....

The BIGGEST Game of the Year!?!?! Tricky Nick Saban and the #17? Bama Crimson Tide vs. #3 LSU this coming Sat. at 4:00 on CBS!!! LSU has played the roughest schedule to date so far playing 5 teams from the Top 18(at the time they met). Both teams are coming off of bye weeks and should be well rested!

The LSU/Auburn finish was crazy!!! The Flynn hater's need to step off! The illegal chop-block(pathetic missed call)on A-A-Candidate and Future 1st rounder Glen Dorsey was sickening! LSU does not win that game w/o the return of WR-Early Doucet who had missed the past 5 games due to groin injury! He had 6 receptions in the 2nd half for 93 yards!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been missing this thread! ;)

First...the Saints:

Reminding me of many teams of the past in that, when they're playing their game, they can beat anyone in the league. But when they're off they're game, they can lose to anyone in the league. I honestly believe that, if the Saints had played all of their games like they played against Jacksonville, they'd be 8-1 right now.

Also, Jason David has to get out of the starting lineup. Last week, Marc Bulger went 8-10, 120+ yards, and 2 TD's against Jason David alone. He blew a coverage in the 3rd that led to another touchdown as well. He didn't knock down, or even touch, a single pass. Put Jason Craft in against Houston; if he blows it, put in Usama Young; is he blows it, well....I guess we're screwed! :lol:

And of course...LSU

You sure won't find me downing on LSU's play right now. They're 10-1, the #1 team in the country, and have the SEC West wrapped up. However, they can be very frustrating to watch because they seem to come up huge in the 1st, do NOTHING in the 2nd, just sort of hang in there in the 3rd, and then a switch flips and they fire all cannons in the 4th. Look at what happened in Kentucky and Alabama: LSU has bid leads going into the 2nd, and then let the other team get right back in it. They obviously lost at Kentucky and pulled off a win at Alabama, but neither one of those games needed to be that close. Yes they're winning and getting things done, but I think any other LSU fan will agree with me when I say that LSU has to work on keeping the lead and the momentum. Because if you want to win a nation title, you can't depend on making a 4th quarter comeback every time.

I'm not clowning the Saints because I'm still gonna support them through the good & bad, but we had no business losing to cupcake teams like St.Louis & Houston. The Rams are worse off than us and we lose to them. Texans can be good when they want but they're another cupcake team.

P.S: My other squad the Dallas Cowboys held it down against the Bills, although they almost lost when Romo threw that bonehead interception.

Wow luckily the Saints at 4-6 are still in contention in the weakened NFC South. Dec.2nd vs. the division leading Tampa Bay Bucs is a "must win"! The 4 game winning streak they looked like NFC contenders; but the past two games they look like pretenders.

What better way than Houston Texan WR- Andre Johnson to return after being injured since Week 3( 2 months) to face CB-Jason "Toast" David. And greet him back w/ a 73 yard TD-bomb to get things underway! The crucial fumble inside the 1 by Bush seemed to deflate the Saints Offense; you can't afford to make that mistake; just ask Ole Miss.

Speaking of yeah....LSU...Nate all the LSU post were to myself back in Aug/Sept. :lol: So I just stopped posting; thanks for revving back up the thread. LSU just finds a way to win!!! Still waiting on the LSU team that destroyed Va.Tech 48-7 early in the season. But at 10-1 and Ranked #1 I am "enjoying the view" from up top!!!!

I am still mad about All-American DT- Glen Dorsey's illegal chop-block he recieved for the chickensh*T Auburn lineman; it easy to see he's still not 100% after that; yet Dorsey still plays bec. he's a "warrior"!!!!! Hopefully his knee will not hurt his NFL 1st Round Draft status??? Not having Top WR- Early Doucet (groin) for 5 games hurt the Tigers too. Now that he's back the offense is clicking once again! LSU has scored 41+ 4 of the last 5 games; and at least 28 pts. every game this year; never done before in LSU History!!!!

I like Les Miles alot and would hate to see him leave; but if he goes to his alma-mater Michigan I will understand. They must stay focused on Arkansas this Friday with their dangerous running game w/ 1-2 punch Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. LSU's D is tired and wounded now. Funny how earlier in the year the "D" was supposed to bail-out the Offense when it wasn't clicking; now the Offense can carry the team while the Defense just hangs on! Man the SEC is tough; and Kansas would have at least 2 maybe 3 losses if they were in the SEC??

The penalties are very frustrating and cost them/almost cost them; but remember last Florida lead the SEC in penalties but still won the SEC and National Championships. This year LSU leads the SEC in penalties ;)

Edited by richyb83

Well, this year just wasn't meant to be for LSU, at least not the national championship. Hopefully that loss is a wake-up call for the team, and they play to their full potential in the SEC Championship, with a trip to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl on the line.

Speaking of trips to New Orleans...did anyone from UP make the trip down for the Bayou Classic? The crowds this year, while still smaller than most pre-Katrina years, were considerably larger than last year. The CBD was packed, along with the Quarter(of course) and I noticed alot of people on the streetcars, so I'm guessing some fans decided to take the streetcar Uptown to Magazine Street for some shopping and dining.

I think he goes to Michgian...and I won't be disappointed. The guy has an amazing stat sheet from his years at LSU, but he's had some of the most talented teams LSU has seen since the 1950's, and simply has not gotten a national championship...or even an SEC Championship for that matter. I look at the LSU team from this year, and the biggest weakness I see is coaching. Too many penalties, too much immaturity, too many off the field incidents, questionable playcalling and game planning, etc. Now of course not all of that should go back to Miles, but he is the head coach and it does go back to him.

11 win seasons look great on paper, but when the fans and the boosters see you losing two games every year to teams you should beat...and beat fairly easily, and miss the SEC title game and/or national title game because of them...your time will come to an end fairly quickly.

I think he goes to Michgian...and I won't be disappointed. The guy has an amazing stat sheet from his years at LSU, but he's had some of the most talented teams LSU has seen since the 1950's, and simply has not gotten a national championship...or even an SEC Championship for that matter. I look at the LSU team from this year, and the biggest weakness I see is coaching. Too many penalties, too much immaturity, too many off the field incidents, questionable playcalling and game planning, etc. Now of course not all of that should go back to Miles, but he is the head coach and it does go back to him.

11 win seasons look great on paper, but when the fans and the boosters see you losing two games every year to teams you should beat...and beat fairly easily, and miss the SEC title game and/or national title game because of them...your time will come to an end fairly quickly.

I mentioned this a bit in the other topic you posted on. But I'll mention it here as well. I think LSU is one of the most talented teams in the country. To me it seems like they have tended to play down to the level of other teams. Especially after the beginning of the season. I admit I haven't followed them closely enough to judge the playcalling. But it just seems to me that the team needs to be better motivated. Overall I guess I was just curious if a majority of people wanted to see him leave.

I like Les Miles as a coach, no coach is perfect and w/o flaws. But I agree with Nate on some good points. I think you can flip a coin as to if he leaves for Michigan. I think he's torn; but Michigan may be looking at Ferentz as 1st choice from what I am hearing?? Les's wife & family love it down here in the warmer south.

Defensive Coordinator Bo Pelini has interviewed with Nebraska. Fans are more upset with him for is non-agressive play calling as the season progressed; esp. in OT when he failed to call a "blitz" vs. QB Casey Dick on 4th & 10. That was a back-breaker. It's not all Pelini's fault LSU's D is seriously "banged-up".

Poor Glen Dorsey (All-American DT) is a mere shadow of himself virtually playing with one leg struggling the last four games. He's still plays bec. he's a "warrior"; but sprained knees generally take six weeks to completely heal; he only rested during bye week. Auburns OG-Chaz Ramsey gave him an illegal "chop-block" that could have ended his career :angry: What's crazy is he was not suspended by the SEC or Tuberville. Dorsey is (was?) projected to be an early 1st Round pick w/ McFadden.

A "True" National Champion does not make the silly mistakes that LSU does...like getting long TD Pass called back bec. of an illegal formation that would have finally put them ahead of Arkansas 28-21 in 4th qtr. Or fail to take advantage of early opportunities with TD's instead of FG's after McFadden's fumble; and bad punter giving good field position. They had been doing the "Houdini" acts much of the year and it finally caught up with them.

Being #1 or #2 for much of the season they came out with "bulls-eye" on their backs and taking other teams "best-shot" every week. It seemed to wear them down esp. the Defense. Congrats to Arkansas the came to BR and handled business.

Hopefully LSU can regroup vs. Tennessee??

Edited by richyb83