Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

I really hate wanting that. I feel so dirty!

You're not alone, jcasey! I know quite a few people who have said the same thing. I'm different, though...when bowl season rolls around, it's safe to say that I'll root for every SEC team in their matchup. In college football, LSU is #1 and the SEC is #2. This year, I'll be supporting everyone but the Saban's...I hope they get whipped by Colorado. :lol:

You're not alone, jcasey! I know quite a few people who have said the same thing. I'm different, though...when bowl season rolls around, it's safe to say that I'll root for every SEC team in their matchup. In college football, LSU is #1 and the SEC is #2. This year, I'll be supporting everyone but the Saban's...I hope they get whipped by Colorado. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, that Alabama/Colorado game is here in Shreveport. I have thought about going decked in LSU with a sign that says Louisiana hates Saban!!!

Yall have not heard??? Alabama cancelled out of the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. They cannot get past Monroe :lol: (ULM that is)

I'm with Nate. I always root for the SEC Teams in the Bowl Games! Even Auburn <_< I hope Georgia stomps Hawaii; their local media/coach are too cocky for me. They have traditionally been a dirty team. There Offense is fun to watch; but there Defense can't stop the run. Hawaii may be undefeated but they only beat La.Tech 45-44 earlier; LSU beat them 58-10.

9 SEC Teams out of 12 make Bowl Games.

Should be an interesting mix of people and cultures headed down to the Crescent City. Should be fun hangin' out with all of them.

Yeah I admit there are a few teams I'm really not crazy about in the SEC. But when it comes to the bowl games I root for them. First of all it makes the SEC look good. Second of all that means more money that's shared throughout the SEC.

Also it happened very quickly, if you haven't heard the SEC now has another 'big name' coach, Arkansas got Bobby Petrino. They had a press conference last night at 10:30 PM. The coaching lineup for the SEC West is looking pretty impressive.

No doubt the SEC(esp. the West) just got stronger with Arkansas the hiring of Petrino. He will make the Offense fun to watch. But can he keep McFadden & Felix Jones one more year?? What a crazy turn of events! One day Houston Nutt is beating the #1 team; the next thing you know he's going to Ole Miss; now this!

The Falcons are ticked at Petrino calling him a "quitter". He looked like he was in outer space in the MNF Game vs. the Saints. That would explain why. He probably figured with Vick being sent to prison for 23 months was the last straw.+ some coaches are more cut-out for the college game.

The Falcons are ticked at Petrino calling him a "quitter". He looked like he was in outer space in the MNF Game vs. the Saints. That would explain why. He probably figured with Vick being sent to prison for 23 months was the last straw.+ some coaches are more cut-out for the college game.

He's another Saban. Have you heard about his 10 second address to his staff? He didn't even face his team. What a loser. Have you seen ESPN? They are killing him. They have NFL Analysts and Falcon players blasting him. I think quitter is one of the nicer things they are saying about him. One of they major things they have been saying is watch out Arkansas, the longest he has stayed anywhere was Louisville and he was only there four years. They say he is always looking for the next best thing. They said he wanted the LSU job.

No doubt the SEC(esp. the West) just got stronger with Arkansas the hiring of Petrino. He will make the Offense fun to watch. But can he keep McFadden & Felix Jones one more year?? What a crazy turn of events! One day Houston Nutt is beating the #1 team; the next thing you know he's going to Ole Miss; now this!

I don't really see McFadden staying another year. He'll be a very high draft pick and I think the money and lure of the NFL will be too much. Felix Jones might stay another year, it might have more to do with where he's projected to go in the draft himself. But I believe both liked Houston Nutt and I don't know that that they'd want to stick around for Petrino. I think most Razorback fans are being realistic and believing that neither will be back next year.

He's another Saban. Have you heard about his 10 second address to his staff? He didn't even face his team. What a loser. Have you seen ESPN? They are killing him. They have NFL Analysts and Falcon players blasting him. I think quitter is one of the nicer things they are saying about him. One of they major things they have been saying is watch out Arkansas, the longest he has stayed anywhere was Louisville and he was only there four years. They say he is always looking for the next best thing. They said he wanted the LSU job.

Yeah the National press is all over him. I think the realistic outlook many Razorback fans are having is that they hope he sticks around for a few years and builds up the program. With so much negative press I think it could actually help him staying here a bit longer. But it does seem that he wants a chance to play with the big boys in the SEC. So if he's going to leave anytime soon I think it would be a team like LSU or Florida. But if he starts having some good seasons here I'm sure other programs will start courting him. If they offer him enough money he could go to another conference. I heard he wanted LSU and I think that's why he didn't accept the Arkansas position sooner because he wanted to see what was going to happen there. I noticed this news came out after Miles once again reassured everyone he was staying there and not going to Michigan.

Yeah the National press is all over him. I think the realistic outlook many Razorback fans are having is that they hope he sticks around for a few years and builds up the program. With so much negative press I think it could actually help him staying here a bit longer. But it does seem that he wants a chance to play with the big boys in the SEC. So if he's going to leave anytime soon I think it would be a team like LSU or Florida. But if he starts having some good seasons here I'm sure other programs will start courting him. If they offer him enough money he could go to another conference. I heard he wanted LSU and I think that's why he didn't accept the Arkansas position sooner because he wanted to see what was going to happen there. I noticed this news came out after Miles once again reassured everyone he was staying there and not going to Michigan.

Yep, same thing I heard. He wanted to know if Les was staying or going. I guess we'll see what he can do at Arkansas. Many analysts are telling parents to beware. They think that they should not allow their kids to go there because of how Bobby job hops. What kid wants to know they will have a coaching change during their college career? You know coaches always promise, promise, promise they aren't leaving. Who can trust him when give his track record?

Petrino is an interesting hire for Arkansas. I think he's a good college coach, but I'm not completely sold on him yet. Obviously he did very well at Louisville, but as all of you know, the SEC is a very different beast and success in the Big East surely doesn't equal success in the SEC. He wanted the LSU job back in 2004 when Saban left, and I can remember hearing that LSU went in a different direction because his loyalty to the program/character came into question. In the last year, Petrino has agreed to 3 different contracts with 3 different teams which total 20 years in length. He's certainly an improvement over Houston Nutt and he should help get the Arkansas program to a higher level in the SEC, but there are bigger and more high profile jobs out there, and I'm willing to bet Petrino will be in the mix for every one of them. I'd be very suprised to see him coaching Arkansas in 4 or 5 years...and most of the Arkansas fans I've talked to say pretty much the same thing.

The Saints kept their Wild-Card playoff hopes alive beating the Arizona Cardinals 31-24.

I'm sure Petrino wishes he could keep college football's best 1-2 punch; Darren McFadden caliber running backs only come around so often should be a Top 5 pick in the 1st Round; Felix Jones could go in the 2nd round. Fullback Peton Hillis will be playing on Sunday's too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Saints' season is over after the loss at Chicago. They finish with a disappointing record of 7-9. But as a Saints fan I know exactly what to say in this situation....there's always next year!

Oh, and Pierre Thomas is a beast! Looking forward to him next season! :thumbsup:

Today was really my first day to just hang out in the Quarter with the Sugar Bowl fans, and I came back home quite suprised. I'd heard on the news all weekend that Hawaii fans were reallly planning on making the long trip to New Orleans, and how big of a deal this BCS bowl game is for them...but I didn't expect what I saw today. Hawaii fans everywhere. Green has blanketed the Quarter...and it's not from Tulane fans. ;) Georgia fans still outnumber the Hawaii fans, but unlike the Georgia fans, who have pretty much stayed in the Quarter/CBD, Hawaii fans are all over the city. The streetcars passing me on Saint Charles Ave. in front of Aububon Park this morning were filled with Hawaii fans. Hawaii fans were on Magazine Street shopping...something that maybe 2-3% of tourists even know about. There were Hawaii fans waiting at restaurants in Mid-City, and I saw a group of Hawaii fans leaving the New Orleans Museum of Art in City Park.

I've been in the middle of the "Sugar Bowl experience" for quite some time now...and I've honestly never seen this. Every year tons of fans come down, but they pretty much stick to partying, shopping, dining, and touring the French Quarter and CBD. It's extremely rare to find groups of visiting fans more than a mile or two outside of those areas, and here we have Hawaii fans at literally every corner of the city. They flew over 4,000 miles to come here, and now that they're in the city, they're seeing everything there is to see and doing everything there is to do. Oh and they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. :D

That's really cool Nate! I'm glad to see all the activity going on in the Crescent City! Thanks for capturing the vibe there. So good for the economy too!

You are right about Pierre Thomas!!! To think he went undrafted is amazing; what a steal of a deal! 12 receptions in a game is mind-boggling for a RB! They could always use Bush in the slot with Colston and Patton next year??

7-9 sure is disapointing! They gave a couple of those games away! To think they whipped a 11-5 Jagauar team makes you wonder??

At least the Hornets with CP3 Chris Paul are off to a strong start in the stout Western Conference! Hopefully the crowds can keep up.

The SEC is now 4-0 in the Bowl games so far! Mississippi State, Alabama(Brian was right! That game was crazy!), Kentucky and Auburn were all winners!! Hopefully this trend can continue! :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

You're right, Richy, the economic impact of these two bowl games in New Orleans is amazing. 150,000 tourists in two weeks with an economic impact equal to that of the Super Bowl. :D:blink:

And if you guys want to see the excitement of Hawaii fans on their end, check this out. That story is about the local cuisine, but there are tons of other videos and stories available further down the page. They really seem to be loving New Orleans and the locals; so much so that the only complaint I've heard is that "it's too cold here." I don't think I've ever heard someone say that about SE Louisiana! :lol:

Today was really my first day to just hang out in the Quarter with the Sugar Bowl fans, and I came back home quite suprised. I'd heard on the news all weekend that Hawaii fans were reallly planning on making the long trip to New Orleans, and how big of a deal this BCS bowl game is for them...but I didn't expect what I saw today. Hawaii fans everywhere. Green has blanketed the Quarter...and it's not from Tulane fans. ;) Georgia fans still outnumber the Hawaii fans, but unlike the Georgia fans, who have pretty much stayed in the Quarter/CBD, Hawaii fans are all over the city. The streetcars passing me on Saint Charles Ave. in front of Aububon Park this morning were filled with Hawaii fans. Hawaii fans were on Magazine Street shopping...something that maybe 2-3% of tourists even know about. There were Hawaii fans waiting at restaurants in Mid-City, and I saw a group of Hawaii fans leaving the New Orleans Museum of Art in City Park.

I've been in the middle of the "Sugar Bowl experience" for quite some time now...and I've honestly never seen this. Every year tons of fans come down, but they pretty much stick to partying, shopping, dining, and touring the French Quarter and CBD. It's extremely rare to find groups of visiting fans more than a mile or two outside of those areas, and here we have Hawaii fans at literally every corner of the city. They flew over 4,000 miles to come here, and now that they're in the city, they're seeing everything there is to see and doing everything there is to do. Oh and they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. :D

I saw them on the news here and I was thinking how far Colorado was from here... and that ain't nothin' compared to Hawaii -> New Orleans!

What did yall think of the Bowl games this New Year's Day?? The SEC is now 6-2 in Bowl games with ONE team left to play next Monday!!!

Call it the "Superdome Smackdown"! I figured Georgia would handle Hawaii maybe something like 45-27; but that was a complete mismatch 41-10!

I was glad to see Tennessee hang on vs. Wisconsin.

Michigan earned some much needed respect for the Big 10(3-4 bowl record) outscoring Florida 41-35.

Another suprise was how Mizzou blew-out Arkansas 38-7; that was not the same Razorback team I saw in Tiger Stadium back in late November.

I really wish the Rose Bowl powers that be had enough guts to have their mighty USC play Georgia instead of Illinios.

Being a Georgia fan, I'm certainly psyched after Georgia ran over Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm sure most of you guys are looking forward to this Monday's game. I hope we see a repeat of last year with the LSU playing the role of Florida.

I'll be rooting for you guys! :)

Thanks ironchapman :thumbsup: I'm getting stoked about the game! It should be a WAR!!! Ohio State has a chip on it's shoulder from last year's beatdown from Florida. I expect a closer game for sure this year. LSU needs to bring their "A" game. They should be 100%?healthy(Dorsey, Doucet, Flynn, etc).

What did you think about my comment concerning USC playing Georgia instead of Illinios in the Rose; or better yet have USC travel down to NOLA to play in the Sugar?? That would have been a much better game!

There must be a way to have a playoff while keeping the bowls in-tact with some sort of rotation.

I'm a bit late on this one, but the Sugar Bowl ended up just the way I expected...a total blowout. I had hoped it would be a good game for the sake of the Hawaii fans, but they were clearly outmatched in every way. Congrats Georgia! :thumbsup:

Now, LSU and Ohio State have both been in New Orleans for 2 days, and the OSU fans are starting to really show up in NOLA. LSU is staying in the Marriot on Canal, and OSU is staying at the Hilton Riverside at the foot of Poydras. Looking forward to a great matchup! :D