Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Thanks for stopping by IC :thumbsup: How are things in Statesboro/Georgia Southern??

Coach Peyton has worked with Shockey in the past; they got chemistry. It should work out well. He's another weapon for Drew Brees, who likes to throw to the TE's. When healthy, Shockey is a Top 3 TE in the NFC w/ Witten and Cooley IMO.

Hard to believe College Football starts in less than a month!!! The SEC schedule(within itself) is so BRUTAL beating up each other!!! A prime example is the "Round Robin" between Georgia/Florida and LSU. Who ever comes out of that mess undefeated will have to be recognized as a Title contender. Does each team come out of that with one loss?? Going undefeated through an entire SEC schedule with Auburn, Tennessee, So.Carolina, Alabama, etc. can eventually wear a team out. The teams that stay healthy will no doubt be key!

An early USC/Ohio State contest should be interesting!

Things are going pretty good, though I'm actually back home in Douglasville, GA, right now. I go back down to GSU on the 15th of this month. GSU football has a lot of questions on both sides of the ball. There are over 50 freshmen or returning freshmen on the team, so we're very young. However, I am interested to see what becomes of that Ohio State quaterback who transferred here.

I'm still looking forward to GSU at UGA. My two favorite schools face off against each other. My parents, friends, and I are working on getting tickets--and chances are pretty good that we will be able to get some. I'm also looking forward to going to some GSU home games (students get in free to all GSU home games).

As for UGA, I'm excited about so many games on their schedule, so many potential great games. The LSU game is one of the games that I really am looking forward to the most. Since 1965, UGA has a 6-1 (6 wins, of course) record against the previous year's national champion when they've faced off against each other, but they call it "Death Valley" for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to LSU on the impressive Win over Appalachain State 41-13! :tough: The earliest kickoff in Tiger Stadium history (10am) The defense made some slobber-knocking hits; esp. the DB's who looked like heat-seeking missiles! :wacko: Charles Scott lead the way with 160 yards rushing on just 16 carries and 2 TD's! I thought the new QB's Hatch/Lee got a B-minus.

Hopefully LSU is still able to play next Saturday night?? We are hoping & praying that Gustav will leave minimal damage to our great state! School will be closed Tuesday & Wednesday; hoping all schools will open by Thursday??

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

How bout dem SAINTS!!!!! :yahoo::w00t: What an exciting victory vs. the Bucs 24-20!!! BIG WIN now 1-0!!! Nice start to the game!!! Things really opened up when Shockey got clickin'!!! Brees 320 yards passing 3 TD's!!! Reggie Bush is back!!! After a nice rookie season; his sophomore slump is a thing of the past!!! Devery Henderson's 84 yard pass was BIG!!

The defense has improved!!!! DE-Charles Grant had a Pro-Bowl type performance!!! Rookie CB-Tracey Porter(from Port Allen) looked great!!! Scott Fujita is $$money!!

LSU did not play because of Gustav....hopefully they will be able to play this Sat.Night vs. No Texas in Tiger Stadium. If Ike causes too much concern they have a Plan "B" possibly playing the game at Cowboy Stadium in Texas; Shreveport or even the Georgia Dome??

BIG TIME GAME TONIGHT!!!! #6 ranked LSU travels to 10th ranked Auburn on ESPN!!!!! LSU got a tune-up game last week defeating North Texas 41-3. This is going to be a WAR tonite!!! :wacko::angry::tough:

The Saints blew a 9 point 4th qtr. lead last week vs. the Redskins; that HURT! Hopefully the Saints can get healthy qiuck with nearly 1/2 the starters on defense out(McKenzie, Fujita, Harper, Gay,etc) with injuries + 1 go-to- WR Colston out for at least another month. Tommorrow won't e easy traveling up to Mile High vs. the Broncos

Edited by richyb83

Waaayyy past time to revive this dead La Sports thread....

Congrats to the SAINTS for getting back on the Winning track!!! Handling the 49ers 31-17!!! Drew Brees caught fire after a slow start passing for 363 yards and 3TD's!!!(despite Colston and Shockey-Out) Meacham made some big-time grabs including a TD; Lance Moore stepped it up with 2 TD's! Good to see Deuce back in the line-up today scoring a TD! and adding 73 rushing yards; last week...sure would have liked to see him used on those controversial 3rd & 1 plays that failed; losing heartbreaker to Broncos 34-32. Charles Grant was an animal today!!!! Good to see Fujita back in the line-up too!

And after CRAZY UPSET weekend... Congrats to LSU for getting the "W" vs. Mississippi State 34-24; not thier best effort; but still good enough after the comeback "thriller" last week at Auburn!!! Hopefully some key Defenders will get healthy for the Florida game in two weeks!! LSU is ranked #2 in the USA Today Poll; a little high IMO; still way too early; ranking don't mean that much.

• 3 weeks later...

After the frustrating MNF loss to the Vikings 30-27; the Saints beat the Raiders 34-3 last Sunday!!! Hopefully the Saints get some more players healthy! They could easily be 5-1 or even 6-0 instead of 3-3.

Last Sat. LSU got hammered by Florida 51-21..ouuchh!!! The worst loss in the Les Miles era.

The Saints & LSU BOTH travel to the Carolina's this weekend!

Whoever made the Saints schedule stinks!!! Not another HOME game til Nov. 24th!! :angry: 3 away games; 1 open date the week after a "home" game in London???? :huh: The Saints will be the only team in the NFL to have just "7" home games instead of 8; that just ain't right!

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The irony now is that BOTH the Saints & Hornets have the SAME record at 5-5. The Saints got a must win vs. KC last Sunday to stay alive in the playoff race. The NFC South is stacked with the Panthers 8-2; Bucs 7-3; and Falcons 6-4.

Monday night is another BIG game in the DOME vs. the Packers who are also 5-5. Pierre Thomas needs to be ready if Deuce & Bush can't play??? They will miss DE-Charles Grant who is OUT for the season.

LSU had their Largest Comeback in school history last weekend... after an embarrassing 1st half; trailing Troy 31-3 in the 3rd. The Tigers scored 37 points in the last 16 minutes(30 in 4th qtr) of the game :huh: winning 40-31!!!

LSU will have to start like they finished tommorrow vs. the Ole Miss Rebels on CBS at 2:30. A possible Cotton-Bowl berth may be at stake??

Congrats to New Orleans for landing the "Final 4" in 2012!!!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

BIG WIN for the SAINTS last Monday Night!!!! Dismantling the Packers 51-29!!! Big game tommorrow at NFC South rival Tampa Bay Bucs! The division is stacked this year; at 6-5 this is probably a MUST WIN!

The LSU Tigers continue to struggle. After losing to Ole Miss last week and dropping out of the Top 25 since 2002?? They blew a 30-14 3rd qtr. lead losing in the final seconds to Arkansas 31-30. The Tigers haven't been the same since the OT loss to #1 Alabama; did they break their spirit?? It seems that way. LSU finishes the regular season a very disapointing 7-5. They are lucky to even to go to a BOWL GAME IMO. Losing QB-Ryan Perrilloux in the off-season seemed to be bigger deal than 1st thought!

TODAY- Grambling took care of Southern U. 29-14 in the 35th Edition of the Bayou Classic in NOLA. Grambling is now 10-2; Southern U. drops to 6-5.

Edited by richyb83

Yes indeed! Great rivalry game. MUST WIN for the Saints at 6-6. Tough loss vs. the Bucs 23-20 last week. 3 early season losses(missed FG at end twice) have put the SAints in a hole. The NFC South is stacked with the Bucs & Panthers 9-3; Falcons 8-4. The Falcons put a hurtin' on the Saints in the 1st game!

The Falcons have been impressive; good-all-around!! RB's -Michael Turner great free-agent pick up and Jerious Norwood make a great 1-2 combo with different "thunder & lightning" styles. Rookie QB Matt Ryan has got "it". The defense is solid...the Saints injuries have had too many injuries to count! Bush just came back last week; Colston has been slow to recover; 3 starters on D have been out for the year.

Edited by richyb83

Wow hat a GAME! 6 lead changes. Saints get a "MUST WIN" 29-25! To keep hope alive for a possible playoff spot! Really like Saint RB-Pierre Thomas! Great undrafted-free agent pick up from a few years back! Good to see Reggie Bush back in action too!

Again I will say rookie- QB-Matt Ryan sure is impressive in many ways!!! Bet Roddy White would never see those type of stats with Mike Vick.

BIG NFC South game tonight with the Panthers vs. Bucs; both 9-3 looking to go into 1st place in the division. CRAZY thing is the NFC South teams are 23-2 at home this season.

Oh yeah...after a disapionting season LSU will play in the Peach Bowl vs. Ga Tech New Year's eve. Tough bowl game; not only is it a home game for the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta; they also busted thru the Georgia defense like a wet paper bag with 400 yards of rushing last week!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

CP3 is a bad dude! Sure glad the Hornets got him! Hopefully they can make another good playoff run??? Hopefully the addition of Posey could be the difference??

Speaking of playoffs; the Saints(7-7) will be not be there for the 2nd straight year; after losing another heartbreaker in OT to the Bears last week 27-24. About 17 players are now on injured -reserve??

Oh yeah..back to the NBA...how about poor Oklahoma City?? So excited; thought they would get the Hornets; instead ended up with basically a semi-pro team. The OKC Thunder have a pathetic 2-24 W-L record!

You know, I realize the city of Shreveport tries so hard to roll out the red carpet for the visiting Indy Bowl teams, but I REALLY hate the motorcades. I'm sure other cities do this... I'm certain, actually, because I've seen similar motorcades in Dallas. But today traffic was already bad enough thanks to Christmas shopping, and then I thought I was having to stop for a funeral procession. NO... I was stopping for a fricking Northern Illinois motorcade on 70th Street going toward the Youree Drive shopping area. Really? Come on now... I wanted to blow through the motorcade, because to be honest I don't think they should be shutting down streets to drive charter buses through with college athletes on them. After the Shreveport police blocked off the streets, a state trooper came down 70th Street at probably 60-70 mph. The speed limit on 70th is 35 or 45, though I can't recall which.

It was all I could do to not roll down my window and give them the finger as they blocked off the streets. I just didn't feel like tangling with the law. And while I see giving a bunch of power-hungry city cops and state troopers the bird as exercising my freedom of expression, I know they wouldn't see it from my perspective. This additional, completely unexpected and unnecessary traffic tie-up caused me to be even later getting back to the office from lunch, but I tried to make up for lost time by driving 70 mph down 70th. After all, the cops are supposed to lead by example, and that state trooper's example told me that it was okay to drive 70 mph down that street. To hell with 'em.

I'm assuming some of the football fans are already in town as well, because I had some last-minute Christmas shopping to do on Youree Drive and I am just now getting home. I literally stopped into only TWO stores: Best Buy and Walgreens.

And I guess I'm just having a bad evening, because I feel really beotchy right now. So sorry if I sound that way... I just really don't see the need for the motorcades, as if the President was riding through town. Hell, to be honest, Dick Cheney was in town a few weeks ago and HIS motorcade wasn't as extravagant as this one. And that is no lie!

Wow! Crazy story. I guess motorcades are cool sometimes; but there never seems to be a good time for them to disrupt traffic flow. It just seems too easy to be in a hurry these days; I know I'm guilty. Typical Police story for sure. Guess it's a double edge sword for Louisiana Tech fans coming from just down I-20 in Ruston?? Of course more local interest; but what about the need to stay in area hotels $$ when they can just as easily get home in less than an hour?? Wonder how many fans will be there from Northern Illinois??

One thing Louisiana has got going for it is STRONG Football :tough: NY Times has Louisiana Football "Representing"! And for GOOD REASON!!! Once again Louisiana Leads the Way Producing MORE NFL Players & D-1 Talent "Per Capita" than any other state in the U.S.!!!

New York Times says Louisiana fertile for football

The New York Times says Louisiana has the highest per-capita rate of professional football players and the southern part of the state is the biggest producer of NFL stars. In 2006, there was one NFL player for every 58,802 Louisiana residents. Corey Webster, a former LSU star from St. James now a defensive back with the New York Giants, told the newspaper his theory for why so many players come from the area from Baton Rouge to south of New Orleans. Webster says there isn't much going on in small towns along the Mississippi River "but sports and trouble.

Edited by richyb83

Wow! Crazy story. I guess motorcades are cool sometimes; but there never seems to be a good time for them to disrupt traffic flow. It just seems too easy to be in a hurry these days; I know I'm guilty. Typical Police story for sure. Guess it's a double edge sword for Louisiana Tech fans coming from just down I-20 in Ruston?? Of course more local interest; but what about the need to stay in area hotels $$ when they can just as easily get home in less than an hour?? Wonder how many fans will be there from Northern Illinois??

I think Northern Illinois was expecting to sell 9,000-10,000 tickets. The thing about Tech is, most of its current students, as well as alumni, live not an hour away, but right here in Shreveport-Bossier. But if Northern Illinois sold all their ticket allotment, then our 10,000+ hotel rooms should be booked solid.

Sounded like a succesful Independence Bowl; attendance around 41,000??? Congrats to Louisiana Tech beating Northern Illinios 17-10 and 1st Bowl victory in school history!

The Saints ended a frustrating season at 8-8 losing on a last second FG to NFC South champ Carolina Panthers 33-31. The Saints made a nice 4th qtr. comeback scoring 21 points but it was not enough. Congrats to Drew Brees for nearly breaking Dan Marino's(5,084) Single Season Passing Record 5,069 yards. Too many injuries and close loses plagued the Saints and kept them home; out of the playoffs.

LSU (7-5) looks to rebound vs. a powerful (9-3) #14 ranked Ga. Tech squad; tonight in the Peach Bowl. (sorry the Chick-Fil-A Bowl just sounds silly). It will be tough; esp since it's a home game for the Yellow Jackets.

LSU (7-5) looks to rebound vs. a powerful (9-3) #14 ranked Ga. Tech squad; tonight in the Peach Bowl. (sorry the Chick-Fil-A Bowl just sounds silly). It will be tough; esp since it's a home game for the Yellow Jackets.

Did they ever!!!!! A belated congrats to LSU's football team with a dominating win! 38-3 rout over Georgia Tech in their own backyard!!! A solid preformance by freshman QB Jordan Jefferson! The defense stuffed GT's triple option threat! GREAT way to finish the season!!

LSU looks to have maybe the Nation's Top recruiting class this year landing several blue-chippers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The LSU Basketball team plays #13 Xavier on National TV Saturday Night! This should be a good measuring stick to see if they are ready for some serious March Madness?? The Tigers are on an impressive 3 game SEC winning streak!!! A convincing 85-67 win over So Carolina; 83-51 drumming at Ole Miss; and impressive 81-57 vs. Miss State! The SEC looks to be "wide-open" this season! Maybe a little down?? But still expect at least 5 teams to get an NCAA Tourney Invite!

The SENIOR BOWL in Mobile is also Saturday Night! 5 LSU players were invited; but only 3 will play; OL-Big Herman Johnson, LB-Darry Beckwith and FB-Quinn Johnson; DE-Tyson Jackson and WR-Demetrius Bryd will not play due to injuries. OTHER Louisiana players involved; Tulane OL-Troy Kropog; Gonzales-own TE-Shawn Nelson(So.Miss) who has looked great in this weeks practices! NOLA's WR-Mike Wallace(Ole Miss); and on the NORTH team NOLA's DB-Keenan Lewis(Oregon State)

Pre-Season College Football Rankings on Rivals.com is already out; LSU is ranked #5! And the Tigers look to have a very strong Top 5 recruiting class for 09' too!

The LSU Baseball Team is pre-season #1 in USA/ESPN Today; #2 in another; the usual culprits UNC, Rice, Stanford, Florida State, Georgia should be all be in the mix. The brand-new Alex Box Stadium is hurrying completion in time for the home-opener Feb 20th vs. Villanova.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/38228259.html

Edited by richyb83