Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

#13 Xavier was just better than LSU last Sat. night. Winning 80-70....but LSU recovered quickly getting a BIG SEC rad win Wed night vs. the Tennessee Vols 79-73! The Tigers are now in 1st place in the SEC West at 4-1(16-4 overall).

Another BIG game Sat afternoon vs Arkansas! The Tigers will be Celebrating their 100 Year Anniversary!

SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!! Who yall going with?? The underdog Arizona Cardinals..or the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers?? I goota pull for QB-Kurt Warner and the underdog! But I know RB-Mewelde Moore and would be happy to see him win a ring!

*Representing Louisiana today....

STEELERS...DB's Ryan Clark(LSU) & Ike Taylor(ULL) from New Orleans; RB-Mewelde Moore(Tulane) Baton Rouge BELAIRE HS(my old HS!) Jeremy Parquet(Southern Miss)-Destrehan.

CARDINALS...WR-Early Doucet(LSU) St. Martinville and LB-Ali Highsmith-LSU' on injured reserve

In Basketball>>LSU beat Arkansas 79-69!! The Tigers had a great start jumping out to a 41-21 at the half! However the Hogs made it a game in the 2nd half cutting the lead all the way to just 5 (64-59). Lack of depth for LSU is the going trend; that's the main concern. They should hopefully be getting closer to a Top 25 ranking now at 17-4 and 1st place 5-1 in SEC! Arkansas is a hard team to figure out getting great non-conference WINS over highly ranked Texas and Oklahoma; but struggling at 1-5 in the SEC.

Edited by richyb83

Well.......it was a great finish to the Super Bowl! The Steelers won 27-23 over the Cardinals; now have 6 Titles!

Congrats to LSU for landing a tremendous recruiting class!!! The Tigers 09' class is ranked #1 by ESPN & CBS College Sports! #2 by Rivals.com!!

And Congrats to the basketball...LSU won it's 6th straight SEC game; beating Georgia on the road 80-62!

Well, since Upstate Louisiana never has much to brag about in the world of national sports, I wanted to remind everyone that the Super Bowl of bass fishing, the BASSMaster Classic will be held in Shreveport-Bossier this year, February 20-22. The major events will be shown on ESPN and all these events are actually open to the public at CenturyTel Center and the Shreveport Convention Center. Plus a free concert by current country music superstars The Zac Brown Band (Chicken Fried, Whatever It Is) will be held during one of the events (more info at the link below).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournam...nd_2009_Classic

^Thanks for the head's up Brian! :thumbsup: That's cool the BASSMaster Classic will be in SBC! I heard there are some HUGE Bass in the Red River!! My Dad, brother and cousin can only dream of being a Pro fisherman like those guys; what a life!

In possibly the most entertaining game of the year(and it was NOT even on TV) :angry: LSU Basketball beat Mississippi State last night 97-94 in Double OT!! The Tigers are in 1st Place in the SEC with a 8-1 record; 20-4 overall!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update on the Bassmaster Classic. Louisiana now owns the top two records for highest attendance at a Bassmaster Classic - and Shreveport-Bossier is on top! The previous record, set back in 2003 in NEW ORLEANS, was 82,000 ... this weekend's attendance in Shreveport-Bossier was about 160% of that amount, at 137,000! I am very proud of that, despite not really being an outdoorsman myself.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Just GOOD NEWS all around....I'm diggin' this thread! :yahoo:

Very impressive numbers for Shreveport/Bossier City!! Talk about SHATTERING a RECORD!!!! Great exposure on ESPN/ESPN2! It's no wonder they call Louisiana "Sportsman's Paradise"!

The 18th ranked LSU basketball team clinched at least a tie for 1st Place in the SEC tonight!! With a 81-75 win over Florida on ESPN. The Tigers are 12-1 in the SEC & 24-4 overall!!

And... the NEW Alex Box Stadium opened this past weekend... LSU is ranked #1 in Collegiate Baseball; #2 in Baseball America; they swept Villanova 12-3; 11-1; 6-3...

22309004.jpg

Edited by richyb83

Just GOOD NEWS all around....I'm diggin' this thread! :yahoo:

Very impressive numbers for Shreveport/Bossier City!! Talk about SHATTERING a RECORD!!!! Great exposure on ESPN/ESPN2! It's no wonder they call Louisiana "Sportsman's Paradise"!

The 18th ranked LSU basketball team clinched at least a tie for 1st Place in the SEC tonight!! With a 81-75 win over Florida on ESPN. The Tigers are 12-1 in the SEC & 24-4 overall!!

And... the NEW Alex Box Stadium opened this past weekend... LSU is ranked #1 in Collegiate Baseball; #2 in Baseball America; they swept Villanova 12-3; 11-1; 6-3...

22309004.jpg

Damn that new stadium is nice! Anyway I thought it was actually "Alec Box" but I see it says "Alex Box". Weird.

And on the numbers for the Bassmaster event, I was very pleased to hear that. They said the event is highly likely to return here in the future. Next year it will be in Birmingham and then in New Orleans after that for the FOURTH time. Then, after that, who knows. But they said between the Gemini parade, the Highland parade and the Bassmaster Classic, local tourism officials were expecting upwards of 1 million people in this area over the weekend. I didn't go anywhere over the weekend so I have no idea how many people actually came into town, but there were already a lot of people here from the weekend before. That weekend, Valentine's weekend, for the Centaur parade (which is actually smaller than Gemini parade) they said there were about a half million people in town for that... and I absolutely believe it, because I-20 was jam-packed all day on Saturday, which is very unusual here outside of rush hour. In fact for last weekend I was curious so I looked on the websites of local hotels and wow, rooms were EXPENSIVE! The Horseshoe, for example, where rooms are $75 and $125/night during the week, no kidding last weekend they were $625 and $675/night. Even the cheap-o Value Place in west Shreveport, where you have to bring your own linens to stay, the cheapest rooms were running $200/night. So rooms range basically from $200-$700 on Mardi Gras weekend here. I never thought I'd see the day where hotels in this region ran over $300/night. But if you try the Horseshoe on even a normal weekend, the rooms are over $500/night!

Heard a couple of BIG news items on a local sports talk show today, a LSU AD rep mentioned that LSU has added a home and home series against West Virginia with the first game in Tiger stadium in 2010 and the next year at WVU....nice BCS opponent.

Also LSU is also looking at scheduling an out-of-state, neutral site game against a BCS opponent in 2010. Mentioned as prime sites were Houston, Dallas and Atlanta, because of LSU strong presence in those markets,and as a way to increase interest as no major BCS contenders are located in any of the three.

Houston has the largest LSU alum base outside of La, Dallas is a close drive and we all know the success LSU has anytime they play in ATL, not to mention, many La transplants from that [beotch] storm.

I like it!

^What a tremendous economic boost for the SBC area! Nice to see!!

^ Yes indeed! West Virginia is a nice BCS opponet for the LSU Tigers! The neutral site game in Houston vs the Texas Longhorns would be great!!! Coach Les Miles has done a fantastic job recruiting out of east Texas lately!! It would be great to see the Tigers beat the Horn's in practically their own back yard; building even a stronger fan base and getting more elite recruits! But I have my doubts that LSU would play 2 strong non-SECopponets in the same season.

Of course continue to get the Top Talent in Louisiana! It's a MUST!

• 3 weeks later...

MARCH MADNESS has been upon us..some very entertaining games once again!!! :yahoo:

Congrats to LSU (#8 seed South Region) on Thursday after getting a nice WIN over #9 seed Butler 75-71 in the Opening Round!! Marcus Thornton lit it up with 30 pts! :good:

The Tigers reward....#1 seed UNC Tar Heels in Greensboro NC...Today 4:45!!!!! GO TIGERS!!! :tough:

• 1 month later...

NBA Playoffs.....The Hornets down 2-0; in a MUST-WIN situation back at HOME today vs Denver Nuggets!

NFL Draft...What will the Saints do with the 14th pick today??

A much belated props to the LSU Basketball team for finishing 17th(27-8) in the Final Rankings!! No team in the NCAA Tournament gave eventual National Champ UNC Tar Heels a better game...the Tigers had em' on the ropes for a few minutes in the 2nd half before losing; very PROUD of the Tigers this season!

Edited by richyb83

The Saints selected DB-Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State with the 14th pick!!! This is a solid/safe pick! Saints filled a serious need!

And congrats to LSU DE-Tyson Jackson from Edgard (West St John); he was selected 3rd Overall by the KC Chiefs!

The Hornets got a much needed WIN today over the Nuggets 95-93; now down 2-1...

Edited by richyb83

Hopefully this all happens! :thumbsup: Good to see this in the news!

Saints, state agree to partnership; support of Legislature, residents needed

Gov. Bobby Jindal and Saints owner Tom Benson said Thursday they need lawmakers and residents to back their plan to keep the NFL team in New Orleans through 2025 and revitalize a part of downtown that has been abandoned since Hurricane Katrina. "I got a lot of confidence in our city and our state and the old saying is, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, OK?" Benson said following the formal announcement of the agreement inside the Louisiana Superdome. "We're not just talking. We're investing. I encourage everybody in this community to do that, too."

The Benson family plans to spend nearly $90 million to buy and rehabilitate a downtown office high-rise and former shopping mall next to the Superdome with the promise of leasing two-thirds of the office space to state agencies, along with the mall and a parking garage.

Meanwhile, Jindal said he will ask the state Legislature to approve spending $85 million to redesign and improve the Superdome -- including expanding field-level seating, adding new exclusive lounges, along with additional suites and more concession stands. The governor said those funds would come from a fiscal-year 2007-08 surplus of more than $850 million.

"We have to convince the entire Legislature ... that this is a good investment for the state," Jindal said. "We're talking about investing in a state facility. We're talking about competing not only for a Super Bowl but other significant events. ... The facts are on our side."

Benson and Jindal wanted a long-term extension in place by this spring to improve New Orleans' bid to host the 2013 Super Bowl.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11693207

>>Wanted to leave this out...the Nuggets eliminated the Hornets 4-1 in 1st round of the NBA playoffs; Game 4 the Hornets were on the wrong side of history; being obliterated by 58 points :wacko: 121-63!

Edited by richyb83

I can't wait to see what goes into the old New Orleans Center. I'm hoping for an ESPN zone. That would be a kick ass place to hang before Saints and Hornets games. Overall...a win win for the state, city, and the Saints. I've already renewed my season tickets.

Yes indeed! That's cool! I would love to see an Entertainment/Arena District to compliment the Saints/Hornets! ESPNzone would be just what the doctor ordered! I'd also like to see a Lucky Strike bowling/Cinema; Dave & Buster's; music venue; some kind of broadcast-studio for sports whether that be ESPNzone or something else...

I liked the Saints 1st Round pick DB-Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State! He should really help the struggling secondary! With the NEW D-Coordinator + the high-octane offense; Look for the Saints to get a playoff bid this coming season! Would like to think they go 10-6??

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats to LSU going to Omaha. Now we have at least two SEC teams, both SEC West in the CWS. Both Arkansas and LSU had pretty good first games and both had two games that were pretty exciting there at the end. Ole Miss had a lead and if they had held on would have also won their super regional. But they ended up losing and now have to play a third and deciding game. Florida has a lot of work if they're going to Omaha. They lost their first game and now have to win two in a row. Not sure who LSU will be matched up against at Omaha. Looks like Arkansas will play Cal St Fullerton which has really hammered Louisville in the super regional.

Thanks Rod! Good to see the SEC already sending TWO teams to Omaha!! 4 SEC Super Regional Teams remaining out of 16 is solid! And at least 2 out of 8 for the CWS!

Despite too many errors in Game-1 & too many baserunning blunders in Game-2; LSU was still able to beat a good Rice team twice....12-9 & 5-3. Tough Super Regional IMO; both teams are CWS caliber. CONGRATS to the TIGERS!

It was impressive to see the Razorbacks take TWO from the Noles' in Tallahassee! And blister the Sooners in their own backyard last week 17-6 & 11-0!

Ole Miss/Virginia has been a really nice series now tied 1-1...who wins tommorrow??Like you said... Florida is in the hole down 1-0 to Southern Miss...it won't be easy for the Gators; the Golden Eagles knocked-out Ga. Tech in Atlanta last week...

You are right! CS-Fullerton put the hammer down on Louisville; winning BOTH games by a combined 23-2 score! Scary looking team!

North Carolina, Texas and Arizona State WON thier games today; up 1-0.

All 8 Teams are set for the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES in Omaha!!! Looks like some really interesting match-ups!

Saturday June 13th

GAME 1.....Arkansas (39-22) vs Cal-St. Fullerton (47-14) 1:00p.m.

GAME 2.....Virginia (48-13-1) vs LSU (51-16) 6:00p.m.

Sunday June 14th

GAME 3.....Arizona State (49-12) vs North Carolina (47-16) 1 p.m.

GAME 4.....Southern Miss (40-24) vs Texas (46-14-1) 6 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the SEC will be sending a team to the CWS finals. Of course LSU is in great shape. Arkansas won a nailbiter late last night to get a shot at LSU again, setting up the SEC West match up again. Arkansas would have to win two games to advance. So LSU is is in pretty good shape.

LSU seems to be peaking at the right time: have now won 13 games in a row! After beating a worn-out Arkansas team 14-5.; good to see two SEC teams reach the final 4....

The Tigers are now in the CWS Finals vs. Texas starting on Monday in a Best 2 out of 3. The Horns' continue finding ways to win close ball games; beat Arizona State 4-3 with two solo-HR's in the 9th yesterday

LSU seems to be peaking at the right time: have now won 13 games in a row! After beating a worn-out Arkansas team 14-5.; good to see two SEC teams reach the final 4....

The Tigers are now in the CWS Finals vs. Texas starting on Monday in a Best 2 out of 3. The Horns' continue finding ways to win close ball games; beat Arizona State 4-3 with two solo-HR's in the 9th yesterday

Texas is a good team but LSU just looks too good right now. Unless Texas has some pitchers that can confuse LSU hitters I just don't see Texas posing too much of a challenge. You never know in baseball and sometimes a team just has an off day. But I see LSU winning two straight games and not even needing the third game.

Was that a Game for the Ages!!! Incredible!!! Talk about tense! Two good teams! Things seemed set in reverse! Texas went from "small ball" to gorilla ball with 5 solo HR's! LSU did the Houdini-act with 2 out in the 9th!!!

LSU WINS a THRILLER 7-6 in 11 innings!!! ONE MORE WIN! Hopefully they can close it out tommorrow! GO TIGERS!!!

BTW...meant to mention the Arkansas/Virginia was INSANE too!