Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

• 1 month later...

Nice read! LSU Baseball fans are classy and appreciate a good baseball team....Alex Box is a top notch venue. Raph Rhymes is a class act and had an incredible regular season! Credit Stony Brook; they are a talented team; LSU laid an egg last weekend being out-hit 35-15...

And Stony Brook went ahead and returned the favor this weekend getting blasted in two games at the CWS by combined score of 21-3...were the first team to be eliminated.

Agreed...Alex Box is a unique place. The attendance is first in the nation by a very wide margin.

Back in 2009, we went up to Omaha for the last three games. There is even an LSU themed bar in town.

I have mixed feelings on our current baseball coach's cultural fit for LSU, though

Cool you go to go up to Omaha...I hear they really miss the LSU fans when the teams fails to reach the CWS...

Very inpressive how wide the margin is in average attendance with LSU!

1. LSU 10,736
  2. Arkansas 7,924
  3. South Carolina 7,574
  4. Ole Miss 7,471
  5. Texas 6,337
  6. Mississippi State 6,131
  7. Florida State 4,583
  8. Clemson 4,405
  9. Texas A&M 4,369

I have mixed feelings about the coach too...this was the worst base-running team I have ever seen! And now it's South Carolina baseball nearing the Skip Bertman-like status....trying to win a 3rd consecutive CWS this year if they can get past Arkansas again; then Arizona!

• 1 month later...

Good read in August edition of the 225 Magazine...New LSU starting QB Zach Mettenberger has "the keys to the Maserati"(as he once said back in Jan)....the Tigers enter Pre-season Ranked #1 in Coaches Poll....expectations will be high. Mett is already ranked #7 QB according on NFLScout.com eventhough he has never started a game....kinda hard to believe college football season starts in a few weeks!

http://www.225batonr...inessreport1005

Edited by richyb83

Flynn did well the one year he did get to play(BCS National Championship O7')...but your right,,,some of Miles QB decisions have been perplexing at times....

Tyrann Matheiu was dismissed from the team(as stated in Acsension Parish thread)...it was not Les Miles decision to make...it's LSU's decision. I'm sure plenty of other coaches across the country would attempt to sweep thias under the rug....(this is not an isolated incident; more like widespread) TM7 will be missed + cornerback depth is very thin now...

• 2 months later...

With the MLB possibly going into expansion, there are numerous cities in the mix. In the end, it would be two additional cities added to the league, one new team in each division.

http://mlbreports.co.../mlb-expansion/

http://bleacherrepor...ion-is-imminent

Of course this will be about New Orleans securing one of the new teams. How feasible is this within the next few years? With Entergy being the only F500 in the city, and Mercedes-Benz sponsoring the Dome, it's first sponsor in it's long history, are there enough corporations here? Would we vote to subsidize (at least part of) a new MLB park? With 81 games, would we be able to support a losing franchise? Am I too optimistic to think that the area could support MLB as well as the NFL and NBA?

With the influx of people from the midwest and northeast regions of our country (where baseball is extremely popular), a growing and diversifying economy, a brighter future ahead for our state, and great support for sports in general, I believe it could work. Now with a dash of reality, I think Charlotte and Portland would be the leagues main targets.

New Orleans would then be the smallest city with 3 professional sports teams.

International teams that would be good are Mexico City and San Juan, however I'm afraid San Juan doesn't have high enough disposable income for professional sports, let alone 81 games, half being in another country.

How about MLS? This first article speaks about the ills of MLS in the southeast.

http://theshinguardi...-the-southeast/

Here's a link to a MLS soccer forum of which I'm unfamiliar with that dabs on the topic of MLS coming to the Big Easy.

http://www.bigsoccer...-soccer.522740/

A ~20,000 seat stadium, privately funded, I feel would produce better support and fan turnout than MLB. With a growing Hispanic population, the possibility is there.

What do you guys think?

• 2 months later...

Interesting Antrell...sorry for late reply...good question! I would have my doubts NOLA could support an MLS team & figured MLB was watered down enough with plenty of teams already.

NOLA has been getting props being a ideal city to host Super Bowl with everything in walking distance...Miami, Houston & many others can not say this.

Picking the 49ers/Ravens  winner is too close to call!

354x200-super-bowl-7099.jpg

Interesting Antrell...sorry for late reply...good question! I would have my doubts NOLA could support an MLS team & figured MLB was watered down enough with plenty of teams already.

The problems with both the MLS and MLB is that they are so small in comparison to the NBA and NFL. There are only 3 MLB teams in the southeast US, that being Florida, Atlanta, and Tampa. The NFL has 8 teams and NBA has 6 in the southeast. With more (MLB and MLS) teams in the area, interest should grow and viewership should increase.

One problem for New Orleans and MLB, not many baseball fans there it seems. In Baton Rouge, we have rabid LSU baseball fans because of their recent legacy with NCAA Championships. In 2020 would Baton Rouge be able to support a MLB or MLS team? I feel optimistic about MLS but very skeptical about MLB here. Traveling fans would love to spend a weekend in New Orleans for a game but not Baton Rouge unless we really shape up. There are some great locations in Baton Rouge for a MLS stadium. 

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

The Independence Bowl Foundation and the CEO if the game's title sponsor, AdvoCare V100, announced today that the game now has a new name. The Independence Bowl we all knew is now just the AdvoCare V100 Bowl. They dropped the word Independence from the name and are planning to DOUBLE the payouts in order to bring a higher caliber match-up to the game each year.

The CEO of AdvoCare is from Shreveport, so it's nice to see a hometown boy who believes enough in that game. For so many years the Indy Bowl has been known as the "Weedwhacker Bowl" due to its original title sponsor, Poulan WeedEater.

The name Independence Bowl never bothered me, but the game's lack of prestige in the world of college football always did bother me. This is why I'm happy to see the bowl see a positive change for once.

Baton Rouge had a semi-pro soccer team recently called the Capitals that played at Olympia Stadium...not sure how the crowds were?? Or if they will even be playing again this season?

I don't think BR is a Pro-Sports town...they really dropped the ball immediately after Katrina...the Saints(a bad team/Hasslet's last year) playing in Tiger Stadium could only muster about an average of abt 30,000 people...and Hornets games in the PMAC were not impressive either.

Thanks for the update Brian...i will always call it the Independence Bowl...just like it will always be the Peach Bowl(not Chick-Fil-A) to me in Atlanta...was disappointed LaTech turned down the Independence Bowl(in hopes for something better) this past season(instead Ohio U. played)...playing UL-Monroe could have made record crowds! Hope it works out for them trying to climb into the next tier of bowls....with a capacity of 53,000 it should be interesting!

Edited by richyb83

• 5 months later...

Yes indeed yall! Glad to see the Sports thread going again....I'm so stoked it's Football season again! Vegas only gave LSU 4 points...so a 10 point win on the road vs a Top 20 Team was nice! Sure they will get the kinks out...the score could have easily been by a wider margin!

They have bought into Cam's system...I like the way they attacked! Mett was making NFL throws + more poise! Landry & Beckham(even with the drop) BOTH had 100+ yd receiving games...1st time since 01' w/ Clayton/Reed vs. Kentucky! Magee looked like he was shot out of a cannon on the 52 yd TD! Great blocking on that play too...

How bout McNeese(FCS) earning all that $$ to go play South Florida(FBS) and smash them 51-23!

And SE LA with their new QB (Oregon transfer) Brian Bennett(3 rushing TD's) leading them to a 45-7 win over SE Missouri

Other state schools did not fare so well....

Arkansas -34

UL-Lafayette -14 

N.C. State -40

La.Tech -14

Oklahoma -34

UL-Monroe -0

Houston -62

Southern -13

Oregon - 66

Nicholls - 3

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a tough 44-41 loss in a shootout a week ago vs. Georgia...the LSU Tigers rebounded smashing the other Bulldogs; Mississippi State 59-26; outscoring them 31-3 in the 2nd half! Up Next.... the Florida Gators at Tiger Stadium Oct 12th 2:30 CBS!

And how bout them Saints!!!  5-0 with a big road victory over the Chicago Bears 26-18! Good to have Coach Sean Payton on the sidelines again this season!

Up Next....at the New England Patriots!

Edited by richyb83

Yeah the Saints Win was not pretty....but until Sunday.... Payton/Brees have NEVER Won in Soldier Field(0-3 record)...so that's why it was so BIG to me... 

If the Saints are to make a strong playoff run...they will have to run the ball better; the O-Line needs to protect Brees better too!  The Defense has been a pleasant surprise!

Hope you are right w LSU! Would enjoy a convincing win & not a nail-biter! Hope WR Jarvis Landry will be 100% healthy/ready-to-go...