Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

YES INDEED NCB ! I am sorry I missed that game , I was at work !

NW LA has an athletic team , I got to see them play in last weeks conference final ! Up next , West Virginia ! Great game !!!

Louisiana has done well , even Southern Univ. played hard vs.Duke ! Only down 42-37 with 15:00 left ! They never gave up.

GO LSU vs. Texas A&M @ 4:40 Sat.

Edited by richyb83

Congratulations to Northwestern State, which as a #14 seed defeated #3 seed Iowa today in the NCCA Tournament! :yahoo: Northwestern State is located in Natchitoches,LA, and they made the biggest upset in the tourney so far. Congrats! :thumbsup:

It was an AWESOME game! Northwestern deserves this... they have played an awesome season.

YES INDEED NCB ! I am sorry I missed that game , I was at work !

Hey, that's no excuse!! I was at work and I watched it on a 3" black and white TV screen with crappy reception... :D

LSU wins 58-57 in a thriller vs Texas A&M!!! :yahoo:

LSU was down 55-57 with 15 seconds left, and after some scrambling and passing, Darrell Mitchel nailed a 3 ball from 30 feet out with 3 seconds left! Texas A&M threw the ball in, and after LSU played verry good and tight defense, LSU stole the ball to win the game!

LSU is in the Sweet 16! :yahoo:

The #4 seeded Tigers will play the #1 seeded Duke in Atlanta thursday night. :D

Also, congrats to Texas A&M on a very hard fought game, those guys really put in 100% effort the entire game.

How Sweeet It Is !!! Incredible effort given by the Tigers !!! "Pure Heart" shown tonite ! They never gave up. LSU's D was awesome . From Garrett Temple holding the leading scorer in the nation JJ Redick 3-18 shooting ,only 11 pts ; to Tyrus Thomas 14 rebounds and 5 blocked shots , turning into a beast the final minutes ! And D Mitch's clutch 3 pointer when they were down by 5 ! WOW !!!

L.S.U. vs Texas Sat. 3:40

Pre-Season NFL Football in Shreveport ! Aug. 21st at Independence Stadium ; Saints vs. Cowboys 7:00 ESPN

YESSSS dude... this will be a Monday night game. I just heard on my commute in that this will be the FIRST Monday night ESPN game. I knew they were picking up Monday Night Football this year, but I had no idea the very first of them would be held in Shreveport!

I wish I'd gone LAST time the Saints and Cowboys played in Shreveport, so I'm making up for it this time. I'm getting my tickets this coming week. I will NOT miss it this time!

LSU over Texas. One SEC in the Final Four. It would be great to see Florida make it too. Especially since the SEC was never mentioned with the other top basketball conferences. I thought LSU played a pretty good game but I admit I was worried a number of times. They really seemed to play well but just never managed a big lead till overtime.

^Yep! LSU advances to the Final Four! :yahoo:

For the first time since 1986, LSU has advanced to the Final Four after defeating Texas 70-60 in overtime!

LSU dominated the paint, outscoring Texas 38-10 along the baseline, Big Baby had 26 points and 10 rebounds, and Tyrus Thomas had 21 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Both Glen and Tyrus had fantastic games on both offense and defense.

The game was pretty much dead even, until overtime. LSU scored on the opening possessition, and forced two strait turnovers, off of which they scored 4 points. After a Texas basket, the Tigers led by 5, and at that point Big Baby, all 310 pounds of him, stepped out behind the arc and nailed a 3 pointer! :D After baskets by both teams, LSU sealed the win on free throws.

It's certainly been one of the best seasons thus far for any LSU basketball team, but like Glen Davis and Tyrus Thomas said, "we're still hungry." :D

And not to be forgotten, the #1 seeded LSU Lady Tigers defeated Depaul 67-57 today in the NCAA womens tournament to advance to the Elite 8! It's certainly been a great year for LSU basketball! :D

Great report there NCB. YES !!! FINAL FOUR TIME !!!!

Just think if LSU could hit more shots from the perimeter ? The game would not even be close ! The Defense has been incredible ! Longhorn player , 6'-10" LeMarcus Aldridge, who is supposed to be a NBA Lotto-pick was held to just 4 points on 2 of 14 shooting . The 6'-8" 310+lb. "Big Baby" and the freakish 6'-9" Tyrus Thomas form a devestating 1-2 punch ! And the lack of respect lately by media has LSU playing with a "chip" on it's shoulders !

UCLA's coach was quoted tonite saying they will be up against the "human swat machine". No one in college basketball jumps like Tyrus Thomas . The Tigers are on a "Mission" !

I am proud of LSU's mens basketball, they had a GREAT SEASON reaching the "Final 4". But last nite vs. UCLA they struggled mightily, losing 59-45 . The Tigers looked lethargic , just not themselves missing lay-ups, hitting ZERO 3's, and only 13 of 28 from the foul-line . UCLA gets some of the credit , they played a great game exposing LSU's weaknesses. Florida is going to have their hand full in the Championship Monday Nite. Should be a great game !

Yea, I'm very proud of the men as well. They really had a great season, and they went way past anyone's expectations this year. Glen Davis has already said that he will stay at LSU for his junior season, and hopefully Tyrus Thomas will decide to do the same. :D

2005 LSU Men's Basketball Team 27-9

• SEC West Champions
  • SEC Regular Season Champions
  • Atlanta Region Champions
  • Final Four Competitor

Great season guys! And we all look forward to a great season next year! :D

Geaux Tigers!

logo_LSU.gif

I forgot to mention this, but Thursday night the New Orleans Zephyrs, a AAA baseball team affiliated with the Washington Nationals, opened up their season in front of a sellout croud of over 11,000 at Zephyr Field in Metairie. :D

It was the first baseball game played in New Orleans since Katrina.

No, as of now BR has no minor league sports. Arena Football II was here for a while with the Bayou Beast. That's how the Saints found all-pro KR Michael Lewis. The ECHL was here for a few years with the Kingfish(can't remember how long ?), but they folded operations in all Louisiana franchises,including Lafayette and NOLA. Nolan Ryan has been intrested in having a minor-league baseball team here in BR. But no word as of late; there has been talk of a possible baseball stadium near the I-10 Miss. River . And Magic Johnson's name has come-up with some sort of entertainment venture . At the begining of the year , our mayor said there was something BIG going to happen in this city in May! I will have to call their office next month to remind them of his statement. One can only speculate. Business related ???

No, as of now BR has no minor league sports. Arena Football II was here for a while with the Bayou Beast. That's how the Saints found all-pro KR Michael Lewis. The ECHL was here for a few years with the Kingfish(can't remember how long ?), but they folded operations in all Louisiana franchises,including Lafayette and NOLA. Nolan Ryan has been intrested in having a minor-league baseball team here in BR. But no word as of late; there has been talk of a possible baseball stadium near the I-10 Miss. River . And Magic Johnson's name has come-up with some sort of entertainment venture . At the begining of the year , our mayor said there was something BIG going to happen in this city in May! I will have to call their office next month to remind them of his statement. One can only speculate. Business related ???

If there is a minor league baseball team do you think it would be a Texas League team? There's been a lot of talk up here in Northwest Arkansas in trying to lure a Texas League team over.

Yes Mith242 , I believe it was affiliated with the Texas League. I am not sure if they are expanding, or just relocating ? Northwest Arkansas seems to be a great place to have a team too ! Over the years I have been impressed with the way Fayetteville,Springdale, Rogers, and Bentonville have all grown into each other.

Yes Mith242 , I believe it was affiliated with the Texas League. I am not sure if they are expanding, or just relocating ? Northwest Arkansas seems to be a great place to have a team too ! Over the years I have been impressed with the way Fayetteville,Springdale, Rogers, and Bentonville have all grown into each other.

Just from all the talk around here, I've gotten the impression the Texas League won't be expanding anytime soon. Luring one of these teams doesn't seem too easy. Many of them have just gotten new stadiums. I think some of them are even partially owned by the cities. I hope both of our metros get lucky and are able to lure some teams. :D

I hope both of our metros get lucky and are able to lure some teams. :D

Me too. I'd love to see a minor league team in Baton Rouge, and it would be great for NWA to pick one up as well. :thumbsup:

I think NWA might have an advantage over Baton Rouge in terms of fan support, because for NWA(please correct me if I am wrong), the University of Arkansas is the main ticket in town, while for Baton Rouge, LSU is the main ticket in town, but then 70 miles away you have two pro sports teams and a AAA baseball team in New Orleans, which all draw alot of fans from Baton Rouge.

Me too. I'd love to see a minor league team in Baton Rouge, and it would be great for NWA to pick one up as well. :thumbsup:

I think NWA might have an advantage over Baton Rouge in terms of fan support, because for NWA(please correct me if I am wrong), the University of Arkansas is the main ticket in town, while for Baton Rouge, LSU is the main ticket in town, but then 70 miles away you have two pro sports teams and a AAA baseball team in New Orleans, which all draw alot of fans from Baton Rouge.

True Nate. I also think because northwest Arkansas is made up with more than one city the others will make an effort to try to have something of their own and not have to rely on Fayetteville where the university is.