Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Yeah , I'm hearing that too... some project Tyrus # 2 overall, and definetly a lottery pick. It would be hard to improve his stock by staying another year. I really think another year in college would have been good in developing his overall game. According to ESPN, he and Brady had a spat during the UCLA game causing him to be benched. I knew something seemed wrong. That also might have been another reason why it makes his decision easier ?

Edited by richyb83

Yeah , I'm hearing that too... some project Tyrus # 2 overall, and definetly a lottery pick. It would be hard to improve his stock by staying another year. I really think another year in college would have been good in developing his overall game. According to ESPN, he and Brady had a spat during the UCLA game causing him to be benched. I knew something seemed wrong. That also might have been another reason why it makes his decision easier ?

Yeah, honestly I think he still had some more to learn at the college level. But when you're predicted to be picked so high there's not as much incentive to stay. Unless you're staying just to have fun or don't need the money.

Yeah, honestly I think he still had some more to learn at the college level. But when you're predicted to be picked so high there's not as much incentive to stay. Unless you're staying just to have fun or don't need the money.

Yea, you can't blame him for going to the NBA when your projected to get drafted that high. Though I really thought he should stay another year at college. His defensive game is obviously spectacular, but his offensive game, mostly his ball handling and mid-ranged shooting needs some work. As of now, I still don't see him as a player like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant where you can just build a team around him, he would need another player to feed him the ball and help to get him some open shots. But hell, he's so good defensively you almost don't need that much offensive output from him. I wish him the best of luck in the NBA. :D

• 2 weeks later...

NFL DRAFT TALK

The New Orleans Saints have a tough decision to make with the # 2 pick in this Saturday's NFL Draft. This years class is stronger than last year's. The Saints have MANY options with their highest-pick in recent memory.

Assuming Reggie Bush goes to the Texans with the 1st pick, do the Saints ?

*take the next highest rated player,6'-7"DE-"Super Mario" Williams OR

*with the investment of new QB-Drew Brees, take OT-Ferguson to block Brees blind-side for the next 10 years ? OR

* or possibly trade the pick to the Jets for their 4th & 29th pick ? Or the 49ers? Still getting the players they need.

Given the circumstances of returning back home, with new Coach, New QB, with such a high draft pick , could this be the biggest pick in franchise history ? It won't be easy, but it will be interesting to see !

Edited by richyb83

^It's definately going to be a huge pick. And for the first time in what seems like forever, I don't have a set opinion on what the Saints should do. All of the options they have are good ones, and I just can't make up my mind on what I want them to do, which if you ask anyone who knows me, is extremely rare. :D

Even draft analysts on ESPN all have different opinions on what the Saints should do. Some say take Mario Williams second, others say take Ferguson second, others say trade down to the Jets, and some are still saying they should trade up to the #1 spot and get Reggie Bush. It will certainly be an interesting draft weekend!

WOW! :w00t:

This is huge, and very suprising news. The Houston Texans just signed Mario Williams to a six year contract, meaning that he will be that top pick in the NFL draft tommorow. Which means that Reggie Bush will still be available at the #2 spot, the Saints spot. This changes everything! Will the Saints take Bush, or will they agree to a trade down with one of the many teams now desperately wanting that #2 spot? This draft may be the most interesting one I've ever seen!

More info from ESPN

Yeah Nate, that was HUGE ! When ESPN announced the Texans signed Williams I could hardly believe it myself ! It does change everything.

Many teams covet Reggie Bush, but many teams will not like the hefty $price-tag that comes with him. Including the Saints ? They are already paying plenty for Deuce McAllister, and just signed RB-Michael Bennett.

Will they trade the pick ? They would get the Jets 4th and 29th pick. That 29th pick could be a Center ? They lost LeCharles Bentley.

I was told never to assume, look what happened; when will I ever learn ?

Edited by richyb83

Many teams covet Reggie Bush, but many teams will not like the hefty $price-tag that comes with him. Including the Saints ? They are already paying plenty for Deuce McAllister, and just signed RB-Michael Bennett.

Will they trade the pick ? They would get the Jets 4th and 29th pick. That 29th pick could be a Center ? They lost LeCharles Bentley.

All I know is that the Saints love this situation. They're now on top, everyone wanting to get Bush wants to be in their spot, and in many ways, they're in charge. Whether the Saints take Bush or trade down and most likely pick up multiple 1st round picks, and could solve their offensive line woes, both decisions could benefit the franchise tremendously. :thumbsup:

I haven't paid attention during the whole draft but I did see an LSU running back go somewhere in the first round.

Yea, Indianapolis took Joseph Addai at #30 in the 1st round. He was projected to be an early second rounder, so thats a great spot for him. He had some injury problems at the end of his career at LSU, but he is a very strong, fast, and smart back who can catch the ball out of the backfield and run some guys over to pick up the extra yards. Congrats to him, and good luck in the NFL! :thumbsup:

Sorry Nate, my internet has been giving us fits since last nite.

I am right their with you, it's a different story now that Reggie BUSH is a SAINT !!! He's gonna inject some life back into the Offense. If Duece can stay healthy; and Drew Brees rehab is a sucess ! The Saints will have a POTENT Offense ! Throw in Joe Horn,Donte Stallworth, and Micheal Lewis and you have explosive threats at all times !!!

The Saints traded their 2nd round (34th pick overall) to the Browns for Center Jeff Faine and the 43rd pick and got Alabama Safety Roman Harper.

Joe Addai is a GREAT fit for the Colts ! He's a complete back like you said ! You saw what he did in the Peach Bowl vs. Miami ! He' a really nice person and very humble too ! I am happy for him !

LSU's Andrew Whitworth 6'-7" 325 O-Lineman from West Monroe was taken in the 2nd round by the Bengals.

The Rams took a couple of Louisiana boys in the 3rd round. LSU's DT-Claude Wroten of Bastrop and Shreveport's Jon Alston LB, he played at Stanford.

David Pittman CB for NW St. (La) was taken in the 3rd by the Ravens.

Grambling DE Jason Hatcher went to the Cowboys in the 3rd.

Day 2 Rounds 4-7 the Saints get 6 more picks !

The Saint's draft is officially over, and here is how it finished up..

RD | PK(OVR) | NAME | POS | SCHOOL

1 2(2) Reggie Bush RB USC

2 11(43) Roman Harper DS ALABAMA

4 11(108) Jahri Evans OG BLOOMSBURG

5 2(135) Rob Ninkovich DE PURDUE

6 2(171) Mike Hass WR OREGON STATE

6 5(174) Josh (Bernard) Lay DC PITTSBURGH

7 2(210) Zach Strief OT NORTHWESTERN

7 44(252) Marques Colston WR HOFSTRA

LSU beat #11 ranked Arkansas today 7-5 in Alex Box Stadium! Geaux Tigers! :D

Sure rub it in. :P Doesn't look like either one of our teams are living up to preseason expectations. Although I can't complain too much Arkansas isn't too far back in the SEC West. But Arkansas really seemed to cool off as soon as they hit the SEC games.

Sure rub it in. :P Doesn't look like either one of our teams are living up to preseason expectations. Although I can't complain too much Arkansas isn't too far back in the SEC West. But Arkansas really seemed to cool off as soon as they hit the SEC games.

Haha ;)

Yea LSU hasn't done as well as most fans have hoped, and many people are very unhappy with the results from coach Smoke Laval. But we'll see what the rest of the season holds.

Seven LSU Tigers Drafted overall !

WR/Return Man- Skyler Green(Higgins H.S.)N.O. 4th round - Cowboys.

DT-Kyle Williams(Ruston) was the first player selected in the 5th round - Bengals.

DE-Melvin Oliver 6th round- 49'ers ; and speedster WR/Sp.teams Bennie Brazzel taken in 7th by Bengals.

One Tiger in each round !

Hahnville's Dawan Landry(Georgia Tech) 5th round by the Ravens. He's the older brother of LSU's LaRon.

Any Louisiana players I missed please post them !

U.S.C. had 11 players drafted and Ohio State had 9.

Edited by richyb83

Nate, what do you think of the Saints overall draft ?

Reggie Bush alone made this draft a sucess !

I like today's 6th round pick WR-Mike Hass. He's a true-darkhorse; he has had to prove people wrong in Football ! He was the Oregon H.S. Football of the Year his Senior season. Yet, he still had to "Walk-On" at Oregon State ! What does he do ? Wins the Bilitnikoff Award for Top WR in College Football and leads the Nation in receptions with 90 and over 1,200 yards ? And plenty of TD's. He caught plenty his Jr. year when he played at Tiger Stadium. But still the NFL critics are there, saying he's too slow. I hope he proves them wrong again ! I think he will be a valuable Special Teams player. And eventually a good 3rd down clutch reciever. A larger version of Ricky Proehl.

Any Louisiana players I missed please post them !

I'm pretty sure you got 'em all, Richy! :thumbsup:

Nate, what do you think of the Saints overall draft ?

Reggie Bush alone made this draft a sucess !

I really liked their draft this year, and like you said, getting Reggie Bush alone makes it all a success. :D

But other than Reggie, the Saints got players that may not be the fastest or biggest on the field, but give 110% in whatever their doing, and can still definately play some football. Coach Sean Payton(who I can already see know's what he's doing more than Jim Hasslett did) said that he wasn't interested in drafting players he "would have to hit on the back to get them into the weight room" and he got players that will give it their all in everything they do. Which is something that the Saints have been lacking for years.(Aaron Brooks is a good example of that) And, nearly all draft experts either gave the Saints a B+ or an A rating for their draft this year, while the last few years they've been getting D- and D+. :thumbsup: