Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Everyone, you've got to check this one out if your a Saints or football fan. It's the "River City Relay" play from two years ago, that won an ESPY award for play of the year, and is one of the craziest and most miraculous plays in football history. And after the whole thing happened, in classic Saints fashion, John Carney missed the extra point to tie the game and bring it into overtime! :cry:

I could literally watch this over and over again for hours, it's one of my favorite sports plays of all time, along with the "Blugrass Miracle" from the LSU-Kentucky game 3 years ago.

Here is the link, click "download video" once you get to the site. :thumbsup:

http://www.cdol.com/saints/miracle.html

Thanks very much for that great memory Nate ! What a play of emotions. I have a good feeling the Saints curse(as they like to call it) is over ! Katrina has changed the bad fortune for the Saints ! Goofy Brooks is gone. With Reggie Bush and Deuce you now have "Thunder & Lightning", to go along with a cool Brees ! Maybe this should be posted on Louisiana Weather, ha !

That Bluegrass Miracle was truly was a "miracle". They said they practiced it hundreds of times and it never worked. Ironically... Devery Henderson is now a Saint ! He was the only one with enough speed on the field to catch that TD !

Edited by richyb83

Something tells me the "Saints Curse" is over too, Richy! I hope we're right!

With Reggie Bush and Deuce you now have "Thunder & Lightning", to go along with a cool Brees ! Maybe this should be posted on Louisiana Weather, ha !

:rofl:

Sorry, I forgot to show a little love to the Tulane Green Wave. LB-Anthony Cannon was taken by the Lions in the 7th round(251st overall) of this year's NFL Draft .

Five more LSU Tigers signed on as free-agents.

OL-Nate Livings(Lake Charles) and TE-David Jones - Bengals

LB-Cameron Vaughn(Marrero)- Broncos

CB-Ronnie Prude (Shreveport Fair ParkHS) Ravens

LB-E.J. Kuale to the SAINTS ! I say keep him at least on the practice squad. He is a "Super-Sleeper". He came out of Jr.College and only had two-years of eligibility for the Tigers. His 1st year he earned a starting spot immediatly for Nick Saban bec. of his devestating hits in Summer practice. However,it did not workout very well, he was slow to figure all the Defensive schemes. Most players make the big jump from year one- to- year two. But he he broke his ankle and was only able to play late in the season.

SLU's WR- Felton Huggins(Northeast HS) signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Edited by richyb83

I haven't seen any recent figures but last time I saw some LSU was still leading in attendance in baseball. Just something I'd like to point out because they aren't having a dominating year like they are used to but people still are turning out which is great to see. Ironic because Kentucky is actually having a great year in baseball and yet their attendance is one of the lowest if not the lowest in the SEC. Anyway just thought that was worth mentioning.

^Thanks for bringing that up, Rod. LSU baseball fans are definately supporting the Tigers well, even in a rough season. LSU draws good attendance in all sports, especially football and baseball, even when the teams aren't playing well. How is Arkansas doing with baseball attendance? I know you guys aren't having the greatest season either.

^Thanks for bringing that up, Rod. LSU baseball fans are definately supporting the Tigers well, even in a rough season. LSU draws good attendance in all sports, especially football and baseball, even when the teams aren't playing well. How is Arkansas doing with baseball attendance? I know you guys aren't having the greatest season either.

Well the team has actually been making a good run lately and is now only a game back from top of the SEC West. Attendance isn't bad but it looks like it's down slightly from last year the last time I saw figures a couple of weeks ago. I believe we're 3rd, slightly behind Mississippi State. I'm pretty sure LSU usually leads attendance in baseball for the country.

""

That's really a suprise.

Yeah the SEC West is really big on baseball attendance. I think Texas is the only other team that compares. But like I said, it's great that even in an off year the LSU fans still turn out in such large numbers for the team.

I'm pretty sure LSU usually leads attendance in baseball for the country.

Yea, LSU has been leading the nation in baseball attendance for the last couple of years, and when we didn't lead the country, we were #2 or #3. I know we're somewhere up there right now.

LSU Football is a year-round topic around here. They are FINALLY re-surfacing the field as of now !

Yep! And the hype around the LSU football team is rising every day, with more and more news coverage as the season nears. Gotta love LSU football! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the 2007 NBA All Star Game will be held in New Orleans. Not only a boost for hosting the game but also looks to be a good sign for the Hornets staying in New Orleans.

Yep, though it's going to be the 2008 All-Star Game. The 2007 game will be held in Las Vegas. I posted a thread about it in the New Orleans forum. :thumbsup:

This was a side box in the Times Picayune today:

Bright Future

New Orleans will be the site of several upcoming major sporting events:

September 25

Monday Night Football

Saints vs Falcons

Superdome

December 22

New Orleans Bowl

Superdome

January 3, 2007

Sugar Bowl

Superdome

March 16,18, 2007

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

New Orleans Arena

January 7, 2008

BCS Title Game

Superdome

February 17, 2008

NBA All-Star Game

New Orleans Arena

Also, it seems like talk about New Orleans getting the 2011 Superbowl has been increasing quite a bit lately, and it seems like prospects look good. By that point, the Superdome would be completely uprgraded and renovated, which was the only reason New Orleans hasn't had a Superbowl since '02.

And this isn't sports related, but it is a major event. There is also a good chance that New Orleans could host either the 2008 Democratic or Republican National Convention, which would be huge. New Orleans hosted the Natioal Republican Convention back in '88, and now has even better facilities suited for the event than it did back then. Over 85,000 hotel rooms, the 4th largest convention center in the country, the Superdome and Arena, as well as many other meeting facilities in the area.

I really don't like to get too excited when it comes to New Orleans' future, but I have to say, in terms of major events coming to the city, good things are, and look to continue to be happening. :D