Hidden Gem of North Carolina

Mr. N

I know I haven't post here in a while but I've been reading about some people here been interested about places in Eastern North Carolina. One place in particular I will inform you'll more about will have an event in January 28, 2006 at 8:P.M. which would be a great Saturday time. This place is located in Eastern North Carolina, it was incoporated in 1760, it is one of the 10 oldest towns in North Carolina, this place has the second oldest town common in America, this place had one of the first Black hospitals in North Carolina, this place is home to North Carolina first regional health department, and the location of second oldest daily newspaper in North Carolina, one of many companies that started here was the Carolina Telephone and Telegraph. The town across the river from this historic town is the first incorporated Black American town in America back in 1885. The name of my Eastern North Carolina hometown is Tarboro, NC and the name of the town across the river is Princeville, NC which they are located in Edgecombe County, NC.

For the last couple of years Tarboro has lost a lot of businesses such as companies, retail, factories and other businesses. For the last couple of months the news of new businesses that are coming, has been good.

One of the businesses will be a corporate business. This town and the area have a lot of history. The (tar) sound in Tarboro is an Native American word meaning "health" or "river of health" after the Tar River.

Being an person of Native American, African, and European ancestry I'm proud of the multiculture history of this place and the area have. Some of the attractions here in Tarboro are the Edgecombe County Veterans Museum, Blount-Bridgers House, Indian Lake and other attractions. Across the river is the town of Princeville which is name after Turner Prince, one of the attractions there is the former historic town hall, which in the future will hopefully become a museum. In 1999 Princeville was flooded from Hurricane Floyd and also large parts of Tarboro and Edgecombe County was flooded too. Today Princeville, NC has rebuild. The 8:00 P.M. event on January 28, 2006 will be a Mozart concert at Edgecombe Community College in Tarboro conducted by the North Carolina Symphony. For more information about the concert go to the Edgecombe Community College website. For more information about Tarboro, NC the website is www.tarboro-nc.com and about Princeville, NC the website is townofprincevillenc.com. A great internet search about Tarboro would be the downtown Tarboro, NC search that may list a partcular internet site of pictures of downtown Tarboro.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to get off topic, but North Carolina sure has a lot of towns that end in "-boro": Asheboro, Carrboro, Greensboro, Pittsboro, Wadesboro, Tarboro, etc. Guess it has something to do with the original settlers of the "valley of humility."

:rofl:

Then theres Roxboro, Bladenboro, Wilkesboro, N Wilkesboro, Murfreesboro, Goldsboro and Dillsboro to add on to the list :D

• 1 month later...

What about that "Hansborough" that Billy Packer keeps talking about? :)

Seriously, also in that part of the state is the blimp hangar in Elizabeth City. Follow signs to the "airport" and "Coast Guard Station" and you'll see it. Ten years ago they had tours, but I'm not sure what the status is. Westinghouse Airships and T-Com were both in the wooden hangar, which unfortunately burned in 1995. It was the largest wooden structure in the world. Only the steel-framed one remains.

As I understand it, all of the commercial airships not labeled "Goodyear" are made and serviced there.

What about that "Hansborough" that Billy Packer keeps talking about? :)

Too bad we wont hear about that town until next November :(

Funny though, growing up here, I always thought North Carolina had an inordinate amount of boros to other southern states. It wasnt until I spent time in the northeast that I realized that there were a bunch in NJ, MA, and CT as well.

Not to get off topic, but North Carolina sure has a lot of towns that end in "-boro": Asheboro, Carrboro, Greensboro, Pittsboro, Wadesboro, Tarboro, etc. Guess it has something to do with the original settlers of the "valley of humility."

There are also a lot of towns ending in "ville", Thomasville, Kernersville, Pineville, Whiteville, Statesville, Reidsville, etc.....

Archived