Brevard, NC

GSP Tiger

In years past on visits up to the Pisgah National Forest, I would usually go up the other road into North Carolina, US-276, into Brevard. I never really have had the chance to check out its city center yet is it worth checking out.

The city was named after Dr. Ephriam Brevard, a surgeon and colonel during the revolution. It serves as Transylvania County's seat of government.

Brevard is home to Brevard College and the Brevard Arts Center.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, downtown Brevard is pretty neat, although I hear they have sort of fallen on hard times lately, as many of the remaining manufacturing plants in Transylvania County have shut down over the last several years.

Brevard has an the interesting hippie-meets-mountain folk thing going for it that you see in so many WNC small towns.

Four or five years ago, there was a pretty neat tavern called Weasel's that had frequent live music with a bit of a bluegrass / folk slant. I hear the place has since closed up shop. Brevard has a pretty genuine small-town feel though, and it's definitely worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood.

Archived