which Florida city will shine in 2006

cameronm

I feel like St.Petersburg is really below the radar right now. There is over $1 billion in new construction taking place downtown at this moment and another billion either proposed, approved or getting ready to break ground. St.Pete gets my vote. Obviously, Miami is in another class altogether.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The commentary regarding metro structure is pretty accurate, but the point I need to make is this: Miami development in question is Miami-Dade as well as "City of" development, b/c Dadeland and the Gables and Miami Beach have alot of what is listed on that post.

Miami-Dade is 2.5 million strong and takes up much more area (developed area, now) than Orange County, which only has 1 million people. So this apples to apples comparison is pitting 2.5 times the economic power (assumingly) against an "opponent" which is in a lesser economic position to have the support structure to foster these developments listed.

Orlando metro is 2 million. It's a little bit closer to Dade's numbers to make a more uniform comparison-- that's why I did it. Also, look at the history of these Fla. MSA's and you'll notice that Miami-Ft.L is a recent phenomenon, maybe as recent as 1990. I'm not even sure if they include PBCo in it yet-- if so, it just got changed within the last 3 years or so.

Orlando's MSA has been at the least the tri-county area since the '70's. THe point is that cities like Altamonte can be nothing other than an Orlando suburb, even though they are outside of Orange Co. Cities outside of Dade are Ft. L suburbs, not Miami suburbs, b/c of the reasons I mentioned regarding the history of development of SoFla. SoFla is 3 metros which have grown into one comprising 3 economic engines: the 3 largest cities- Miami, Ft.L, and WPB. And people from Ft. Lauderdale or Plantation don't go around saying that they live in Miami-- they make it clear where they live, as though Dade is in another solar system; its weird.

So, when I say Orlando, I include all burbs in the tri-county area, a developed area which is still smaller or roughly the same size as the developed area of Dade, from Aventura to Homestead.

So from my perspective, the fact that Dade is so big is Miami's problem; its the nature of the beast, as you would say. The standard should be a radius of miles out from the city center, for example, and not a county line. THere are many amenities in many metros which cross county borders for many reasons such as small size of the county or whatever.

It's like comparing City of Miami (35 miles2) to City of Chicago (227 miles2)-- that's not fair-- and its not apples to apples b/c most of Miami's condos are on the coast whereas all of Chicago's are within the city limits. Miami-Dade vs. City of Chicago is a better comparison: 2.5 to 2.7 million people with similar area of development.

Now that I just wasted a boatload of time at work with this, I make one more point:

As small as Orange County is compared to Miami-Dade, not only does it have more development (in these categories I mentioned) per capita, but it is either neck and neck with, or ahead of Miami-Dade in these categories, a county 2.5 times as populous with almost twice the developed area.

Well back to the subject Orlando has been shining so far with a whole lot of proposed buildings not only in downtown but in the area. The constrution boom downtown is pretty impressive too, Also they have the famu law school finished.

True that. There is one more category which seems to be coming together for Orlando right now, and that's medical:

1. FH Expansion- Main campus (the bldg is the largest single pour in state history (concrete)

2. Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital near ORMC

3. FH Lake Underhill expansion

4. New VA Hospital

5. New Nemours Children's Hospital for Milennia area

6. UCF Medical School proposal

True that. There is one more category which seems to be coming together for Orlando right now, and that's medical:

1. FH Expansion- Main campus (the bldg is the largest single pour in state history (concrete)

2. Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital near ORMC

3. FH Lake Underhill expansion

4. New VA Hospital

5. New Nemours Children's Hospital for Milennia area

6. UCF Medical School proposal

I think its definetly worth noting. In fact, in 2002 Florida Hospital Orlando was the busiest emergency room in the country, along with Orlando Regional in 4th. This area is no slouch with regards to the medical community.

Before anyone argues JRS's #1, its the largest "continuous" pour (foundation).

Thanx, Orlandonative. Here's a tidbit of new info I just heard, The Blue Rose just sold 450 of 515 units released in its first week, which means this thing will be breaking ground soon, which will take it out of the proposed category and place it as a concrete development.

In fact, in 2002 Florida Hospital Orlando was the busiest emergency room in the country, along with Orlando Regional in 4th. This area is no slouch with regards to the medical community.

Or it could mean that Orlando people are just more accident prone that most??? :rofl:Just kidding guys..really just kidding dont' take it so seriously. :)

Or it could mean that Orlando people are just more accident prone that most??? :rofl:Just kidding guys..really just kidding dont' take it so seriously. :)

Hey, what do you mean acciddd---------------------nt..... ouch!! bloody murder! I can't believe I just... i didn't know staple removers could do that... ORMC ER, 1 mile. Here I come...

actually my first thought was lack of ER's per capita making each ER busier.

But, there's:

FH South (ORL)

FH East

FH Altamonte

HEalth Central Ocoee

ORMC

OR- Lucerne

OR- Arnold Palmer

OR- MD Andersen

Osceola Regional Kissimmee

FH Celebration

FH Winter Park

OR- Turkey Lake Rd.

FH Kissimmee

FH Apopka

FH CentraCare (14 locations)

FH Waterman in Tavares

FH Fish in Orange City

FH DeLand

OR-South Seminole Longwood

OR-South Lake Hospital

OR-St. Cloud

• 3 weeks later...

2006 for Daytona Beach has seen so far:

1. Opening of new PAC (NewsJournal Center)

2. Ocean Center Convention Center-- expansion broke ground to get it up to 250Kft2 convention space.

3. New hotels built near speedway;

4. dozens of new condo projects U/C on A1A:

5. New condo projects being built on Intracoastal-- on the mainland side;

6. Boardwalk redevelopment - to break ground by Winter '06.

7. Mainland HS redo-- funded in part by Vince Carter donation.- to open by Fall '06.

8. Redo of A1A from DB Shores to Ormond Beach.

9. Downtown redevelopment w/ new condo's;

10. new construction of Interstate office park bldgs near Indigo Lakes and LPGA.

• 2 months later...

How about W.Palm Beach. Isn't Scripps moving a facility down there? IMO this will get this somewhat stagnate economy into gear.

Also, what about St.Johns and Flagler counties? Will be interesting to see if their growth continues.

Miami-

In the next few years, Miami will continue to evolve into a world class city...

Miami Intermodal Center

PAC

Port Tunnel & I-395 Project

Major Downtown development

Retail Centers, New development, High Rises

826/836 Improvemnts from widening to interchage overhall

Metrorail Expansion

Suburban Dadeland high rise development

Miami Int'l Airport Terminal Expansion

Miami Dade College Renovations and Expansion

The list goes on...

This list doesnt include the national spotlight from the NBA Finals, upcomming summer movies, and next years SuperBowl

• 2 weeks later...

How about W.Palm Beach. Isn't Scripps moving a facility down there? IMO this will get this somewhat stagnate economy into gear.

Also, what about St.Johns and Flagler counties? Will be interesting to see if their growth continues.

I don't see any reason why they won't continue to grow. Florida in general is going to continue its positive growth trend.

• 2 months later...

Orlando gets my vote as the city that will shine in 2006-2007. The reason being the biggest change in atmosphere and lifestyle is occuring in Orlando. Even though Miami has awesome growth and projects happening, Miami will still be Miami, Tampa will still be Tampa and Jax will still be Jax. Orlando is undergoing the biggest transformation,

• 2 weeks later...

Miami is FLA's numero uno;

As for which city will shine in 2006 the most? I dnk.

Miami has buku construction right now. Ft. Lauderdale; WPB has some too. Shoot, even Tampa by Channelside with all those projects. So does Orlando. Daytona Beach as well. I haven't been to Jax lately to see what's up there, so I can't say.

I think all these cities will shine; some more than others. Its a great testament to the state as a whole.

Archived