Rolling Mill Hill images

barakat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are [easily] the best renderings I've seen for development on RMH.

Downtown as a real civic center: Symphony Hall, Sounds Stadium and Development, (a viable) Rolling Mill Hill development...

Now, I'm excited. The downtown of my overactive imagination is emerging!

Site prep has been going on for quite a while now. It's really hard to even recognize RMH right now. I'm glad I took some pictures beforehand. From what I understand, some pads are ready for construction now. It won't be long will we see things moving rapidly.

The adjacent bus barns and other buildings that will experience re-use will be vacated this quarter. If the Sounds deal gets the result we all want in a couple of weeks, a literal explosion of construction activity all along Thermal/RMH will be very evident. It's going to be a noisy summer down on the river. Great.

I really like this design. I like the central park and how the chimney is like the focal point of the whole complex. I love the fact there there are a few streets going through it, but you will have to walk on sidewalks to get to the individual buildings. I also like the building in the seventh pic. It looks very nice.

Thanks for posting the link barakat. I looked at their site probably a dozen or so times and noticed they had never updated it. i got discouraged and quit checking on it. The rendering looks great and there will be a substantial amount of development on that hill.

We have not even seen what Struever Brothers has planned up there either.

Somebody please educate me on this project -

The renderings friom direct say 'phase one' and we all agree that Struever will have a component on RMH. Surley there has to be a 'master' development plan otherwise how would each developer know what the other was building or how would Metro even select the developers. Where is this plan? By the looks of these renderings, the fact that there is a phase one implies additional phases and the fact that the Struever component should be equal or greater that Directs development means this is going to be one huge project. Does anyone have a dollar total? Very exciting!!!

Thanks

I wish I knew more too. Gee, this thing has gone through so many incarnations, we might have to wait until it's done to see something comprehensive on it. I, too, think it is going to be huge. I think when the smoke clears, someone should publish a synopsis as clearly as possible on what we should be expecting. That's fair, isn't it?

I'm just excited to see the dust flying.

Nice pics. I hope the final product looks as European as the renderings, and not like that pseudo-traditional junk with large white panes that you see in downtown projects all over the place. Atlanta has way too many of them in midtown.

Does anyone here know where the mid-rise GSU dorms are along the downtown Interstate connector at Georgia Tech (aka North Ave)? That's the type of stuff I'm referring to as junk.

Todd, this isn't "full of facts" but will illustrate that the developers are working in tandem with city planners to make sure everything fits properly.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../507250364/1045

There have been some lengthy presentations, some of which can be found at nashville.gov mdha. Some of this is old, but the premise for the overall development remains the same.

I especially like some of the designs of the midrises. Very modern and tasteful.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Lexy. I spent half of last year in Berlin and got really smitten by the edgy modern architecture there. I see in Dave's link that Direct had proposed this style of building for the parcel that they lost out to Streuver. I've seen Streuver's work in Baltimore, and I say it's fair (it has a lot of the traditional stuff I referred to above). But as someone here once said, it will get people to stay/live downtown.

Somebody please educate me on this project -

The renderings friom direct say 'phase one' and we all agree that Struever will have a component on RMH. Surley there has to be a 'master' development plan

Here ya go Todd, The master Plan, I knew i had it, I just had to find it.

http://www.eoa-architects.com/index.pl/resrm

Rolling Mill Hill is truly a very exciting and landmark project for Nashville. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when completed this project will have something over 1,000 housing units built in three Phases. Just think what an impact that will have on the downtown area. Twice the units in Signature Tower. More units than Sig Tower and the Viridian combined. This is a very significant development. I, too, like what I see from the renderings. This is very exciting!

• 1 month later...

I ran across this presentation thanks to Google,

It is very informative with some cool pictures and drawings, but becareful viewing page 16 (sun glasses required) HA.

Anyway it gives details on the phases and the responsibility of each developer.

http://www.samenashvillepost.org/pdw_pdfs/Helton_SAME_05.pdf

Thanks, Nashville Bound! That's the most informative piece yet on the Rolling Mill Hill project. Construction starting in the 2nd Qtr '06. Over 400 units in Phase I! Great looking neigborhood feel! People moving in in 2007! There's great reason to be excited about this project, anbd with the market place for this kind of construction booming like never before, Phase II, III, and IV will almost certainly follow soon thereafter resulting in as many as 1,400 new urban units. Oh yeah! :yahoo:

Thanks for that, Nashvillebound. That is a really cool site. I love driving along I65/I24 on the east side, as you're going over the river and seeing the old hospital atop the bluff with the train track that runs along the hill just below. That is going to be one awesome view across the river and down into east Nashville. Is it second quarter 06 yet? I can't wait for construction to begin.

I've been thinking about the sculpture on the east bank lately, Ghostworks: Machina and the Gods of War or whatever it's called and how I hadn't heard anything about it. I was curious what our new urban intellectuals NewTowner, Bzorch, Kheldane (were you posting when this thing was announced?) would have to say about it, and then a nice night time rendering shows up in this Rolling Mill page. Anyway, I don't really have a point, I'm just really excited about all this posting and construction and Lexy's pictures and everything.

Archived