Rolling Mill Hill images

barakat

I've been thinking about the sculpture on the east bank lately, Ghostworks: Machina and the Gods of War or whatever it's called and how I hadn't heard anything about it. I was curious what our new urban intellectuals NewTowner, Bzorch, Kheldane (were you posting when this thing was announced?) would have to say about it, and then a nice night time rendering shows up in this Rolling Mill page. Anyway, I don't really have a point, I'm just really excited about all this posting and construction and Lexy's pictures and everything.

Count me out of the NewTowner/bzorch/Kheldane urban intellectual elite, but a memory of the sculpture announcement over the summer prompted me to do some Googling.

Official Metro Arts renderings:

http://www.artsnashville.org/pubartprogram...gwscrapbook.php

City Paper coverage of public art projects including "Ghost Ballet for the East Nashville Machineworks:"

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=43272

By 2007 a trip downtown will include a Country Music Hall of Fame, a Symphony Center, and a Ghost Ballet. I echo Nashvillain's sentiments--the SoBro, Riverfront, and RMH activity is so cool!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem strange how sometimes things pick up at the forum. It does seem busy. I think it is the photo postings that get our blood flowing. They are great when things begin to slow down.

As for the sculpture on the river, I forget the name. I have to say of the choices the committee had to choose from I think this was the best choice.

Links to Finalist

I like the fact we are investing in art. I think it will help add interest and scale to the river. Seeing it on axis with Broadway or from the Shelby Street Bridge should be cool . It looks like a roller coaster to me. I am more excited about the idea of art on the river than the piece itself. My main concern is when I listened to the artist's explanation on Channel 3 last year and she said that it the image was representational and that it did not show the support structure for the piece. So my question was, What is it really going to look like? I hope it still looks like it is floating and not being held up in the air by large columns. It is a huge piece.

Thanks Tomcampion. It just hit me, it looks like a corporate icon, like the Nike swoosh or the Logitich thingy (as I look around my room for examples of corporate iconography). I didn't notice the flowery looking piece to the lower right nor the double spear thing thrusting thru the center of the roller coaster tracks before, but like Bzorch, I'm excited about the idea of public art (especially by people other than the giant classical sculpture guy) so I can't wait to see it in person.

Great link Todd.

Lets do some math here.

At least 70 million on phase I of Rolling Mill

At least that much in phase II and again in phase III.

Sounds stadium 230 million.

Encore 80 million plus what ever Encore phase II will be, either a 20 story or a 12 story.

I am not sure about the Hampton Inn conservatively 30 million? someone here may know for sure.

Ragland group development with Struever Brothers another 150 million.

This is at least 700,000 million in So-Bro alone, with more to come.

If the CC center is built add 455 million plus a new HQ hotel, parking structures and other development. Then you are looking at probably close to 1 and a half billion in So bro alone over the next 4 or 5 years.

That is a tremendous amount of money for any downtown area in the country and we have not even gotten out of So Bro. Nashville is just starting to scratch the surface.

• 11 months later...

I hate it when people ressurect old topics but.....

I was wondering if you all knew when we'll start seeing some movement and construction on RMH? It's so exciting for what it will bring to DT, but when we start seeing some building there?

PS Is there a big, long, central RMH thread, because if not there should be.

There always seems to be things going on up there. I watch from the interstate and it's seems active. I peeked in the windows of the sales center the other day. It's huge and looks good. NES, I suppose, is finalizing the burying of the big electrical lines. I bet when this thing gets going in earnest, it'll move really fast. The scope of RMH, thermal and SoBro just boggle me, and right now, it's just bubbling under the surface.

There always seems to be things going on up there. I watch from the interstate and it's seems active. I peeked in the windows of the sales center the other day. It's huge and looks good. NES, I suppose, is finalizing the burying of the big electrical lines. I bet when this thing gets going in earnest, it'll move really fast. The scope of RMH, thermal and SoBro just boggle me, and right now, it's just bubbling under the surface.

Thanks, Dave. There's lot's of info on the site. All the housing options are very diverse. Most of the layouts seem pretty spacious, and there will be great views. The largest unit I could find was around 2,100 Sq Ft. At $689,000, that would equate to over $300 per square foot. That's certainly not cheap. Evidently units will start at $139,000. Those will be really good deals and I'm sure will go fast.

Archived