The Piedmont Retail Business Challenge

StevenRocks

CBL & Associates Properties recently announced the kickoff of The Piedmont Retail Business Challenge at three of its North Carolina malls including Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, Randolph Mall in Asheboro and Oak Hollow Mall in High Point.

The Challenge is designed to find the three most imaginative and creative retail business plans in the Piedmont Triad area. Three winners will receive retail space, advertising packages and other services -- free of charge -- needed to launch their business.

Fnd out more here

So...anybody interested? And what would be your ideal mall store?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBL & Associates Properties recently announced the kickoff of The Piedmont Retail Business Challenge at three of its North Carolina malls including Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, Randolph Mall in Asheboro and Oak Hollow Mall in High Point.

The Challenge is designed to find the three most imaginative and creative retail business plans in the Piedmont Triad area. Three winners will receive retail space, advertising packages and other services -- free of charge -- needed to launch their business.

Fnd out more here

So...anybody interested? And what would be your ideal mall store?

What the? :huh: What's the point of this?

It's a way to fill up empty space in the malls with new, unique stores.

Instead of filling up empty space in malls with new retail, maybe the focus should be bringing the retail to the downtowns. Thats where I think the priority should be. I long for the day when I can go downtown to shop at Hechts (Macy's) or a downtown urban walmart. Having a cluster of these kind of retail establishments downtown would attract alot of people to the center-city. But in order to attract that kind of retail, we need to have more residential development downtown. Lets make the downtowns like they were in the 1940s. Everything was downtown in those days and thats where everyone went. There was no such thing as mall or a suburban big box retailer. One thing I would to see in the downtowns are internet cafe's.

Instead of filling up empty space in malls with new retail, maybe the focus should be bringing the retail to the downtowns. Thats where I think the priority should be. I long for the day when I can go downtown to shop at Hechts (Macy's) or a downtown urban walmart. Having a cluster of these kind of retail establishments downtown would attract alot of people to the center-city. But in order to attract that kind of retail, we need to have more residential development downtown. Lets make the downtowns like they were in the 1940s. Everything was downtown in those days and thats where everyone went. There was no such thing as mall or a suburban big box retailer. One thing I would to see in the downtowns are internet cafe's.
Actually, a downtown Wal-Mart would be horrible in my opinion. I don't feel like going into why it would be bad, but I tackled it on another thread recently. I do understand where you're coming from, though.

That said, that's really not the focus of the contest. This is not a city project. This is one staged by a developer that wants to maximize the appeal of its properties.

I think that yes we need shops downtown but I also think that The mall should grow. Downtown is ready for shops but not a macy's

• 3 months later...

Archived