Carowinds

monsoon

As awesome as this coaster is, it's made me realize how spoiled I was having Cedar Point just an hour away from where I grew up. Nothing will ever compare to Millennium Force and Cedar Point as a park......Fury is awesome though!!!

To be fair, Fury will be better in every comparable spec to Millennium Force (aside from nostalgia).  Taller, faster, longer and a steeper vertical drop.

To be fair, Fury will be better in every comparable spec to Millennium Force (aside from nostalgia).  Taller, faster, longer and a steeper vertical drop.

Stats don't mean better :) I have been to amusement parks all over the country and on countless coasters. Millennium is my favorite and the best coaster in the country. I am VERY curious to see how this will stack up.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[/indent]

What was short lived? Fury's record? It wasn't that big deal of a record anyway, it had an * by it, as long as they deliver a quality coaster (which this will be) its all that matters.

Also, there is another attraction coming to Carowinds too. It will probably be a new slingshot type ride amusement parks are experimenting with.

Well, at the risk of sounding like sour grapes, that's a weird novelty coaster. That's like saying the thing on top of Vegas's stratosphere is the highest coaster. Kind of true, but with asterisks. 

Edit: After watching the video, it honestly doesn't even look that fun to me. There is some personal preference in there, of course, but I wouldn't be making a special trip into whatever Orlando 'burb that's being built in. It'd be like going to Concord for a novelty aquarium.  :whistling:

Edited by tozmervo

I forgot this was being built. This is going up on International Drive just down the road from Universal and it has been talked about for a little while. I was skeptical because the attractions area sees proposals like this all the time and maybe 10% of them get built. Seems pretty cool to me. Something I might consider riding once. I am willing to bet though that it's probably $15 or more for just one time around in it. They really know how to price gouge on I Drive.

I forgot this was being built. This is going up on International Drive just down the road from Universal and it has been talked about for a little while. I was skeptical because the attractions area sees proposals like this all the time and maybe 10% of them get built. Seems pretty cool to me. Something I might consider riding once. I am willing to bet though that it's probably $15 or more for just one time around in it. They really know how to price gouge on I Drive.

The cost of construction of this thing is probably insane, I can't imagine it being worth it for the company building it, but whatever. :offtopic:

Now, I haven't been to Carowinds since it was owned by Paramount (long time I know), but with the addition of Fury what will that put the coaster count to and how does that compare to some of the other top coaster parks in the U.S.?

Thats a loaded question, but the stats:

Carowinds will then have 14. Tied for the 3rd most in N.A.

1. Magic Mountain, 19

2. Cedar Point, 16

= Canada's Wonderland, 16

3. Carowinds, 14

= Kings Island, 14

= Kings Dominion, 14

However the reason I say that is a loaded question is because for me (as a coaster enthusiast) I look more towards the quality of coasters than the number. Kings Island, Great Adventure, Cedar Point and Magic Mountain all have a fantastic variety. Where Carowinds, while it may have 14 coasters, I would argue that only 3 of them are top caliber coasters (Afterburn, Fury and Intimidator, and I might listen to an argument for Nighthawk). The wood coasters are weak and my biggest gripe. Most amusement parks average 3-5 major world class coasters though.

By comparison, Six Flags Great America has 12 but has a better variety of world class coasters. It has Batman, Bizarro, El Toro, Kingda Ka, Nitro and Superman.

Edited by Jayvee