Carowinds

monsoon

12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Here's an view of the construction site from above:

IMG_20180817_164825.thumb.jpg.b19d68004e861fe9b2478d49ca9d81bb.jpg

That circular concrete pad is going to be the new location of the ride formerly known as Woodstock Gliders, which was located in the Planet Snoopy area but is nonetheless an excellent ride for all ages.   I believe where the two rows of columns lie will be the station/loading area of the coaster.

But all shall be revealed in 11 days!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

That circular concrete pad is going to be the new location of the ride formerly known as Woodstock Gliders, which was located in the Planet Snoopy area but is nonetheless an excellent ride for all ages.   I believe where the two rows of columns lie will be the station/loading area of the coaster.

For a moment, I thought you meant that Carowinds was removing Woodstock Gliders. :shok: That's one of my favorite rides there lol, glad they are keeping it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nicholas said:

For a moment, I thought you meant that Carowinds was removing Woodstock Gliders. :shok: That's one of my favorite rides there lol, glad they are keeping it.

It was removed, but will return at the new location next year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Glad to hear that. Woodstock gliders really is just an all-around great ride.

PS: the pixel 2s camera is freaking awesome. I just got it and the photos are absurd

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Reminds me of Corkscrew at Cedar Point which is a pretty fun roller coaster.   It's the type you can probably run right up to with minimal wait while everyone's waiting for the big ticket coasters like Fury. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_(Cedar_Point)

Will be nothing like Corkscrew.   Much more like Maverick at CP.  And this will be the 2nd most popular coaster,  maybe 1st next year.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, skymiler said:

Will be nothing like Corkscrew.   Much more like Maverick at CP.  And this will be the 2nd most popular coaster,  maybe 1st next year.

This is correct. Corkscrew is almost identical to our Cyclone. I visited CP this year and Maverick was by far the most popular ride besides Steel Vengeance. 

Also, I can’t wait for the Woodstock Gliders to come back. It’s my favorite ride in the park. I rode the Lake Erie Eagles at CP at least a dozen times the weekend I was up there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In this CBJ story written by Ken Elkins (01/16/2019), Steve Jackson, Director of Construction and Maintenance at Carowinds, talks about the  spring opening of Carowinds Copperhead Strike roller coaster.   

Excerpt:   "The 16-passenger roller coaster “trains,” or coaster cars, are modeled after 1930s coupes."  "Mack Rides GmbH & Co. KG of Waldkirch, Germany, made Copperhead Strike and shipped it through the Port of Charleston in South Carolina. The trains are still at the port, awaiting their truck rides to Carowinds for tests and then live runs around the 3,255 feet of track."  "It’s the 14th roller coaster for Carowinds; only four parks in the world have more coasters."  “Everything’s on schedule,” Jackson assures us as he describes the technical side of how Copperhead is a double-launch roller coaster, powered by two sets of powerful electro-magnets called LSMs.  With two bursts of speed, the coaster cars are launched to 50 mph through five inversions and a ride that flashes by in two minutes, 24 seconds."

Image of Copperhead Strike roller coaster - CharlotteObserver.com

Image result for image of copperhead roller coaster carowinds

Carowinds Spring 2019 opening - Saturday, March 23, 2019, 10 AM - 10 PM. 

Link to CBJ story:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/16/photos-moonshine-rural-settings-set-the-scene-for.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

"It’s the 14th roller coaster for Carowinds; only four parks in the world have more coasters."

this is huge and Carowinds is becoming much much more than a Carolinas only draw.  Much better than the old Goldrusher  and Thunder Road days of my past.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this is huge and Carowinds is becoming much much more than a Carolinas only draw.  Much better than the old Goldrusher  and Thunder Road days of my past.  

I was at Busch Gardens Tampa over the holidays and their launch coaster cheetah hunt had the longest lines in the park.  It drew more crowds due to its perceived less scariness than the super tall coasters.   Different experience and my daughter and I really liked it (but give me the Fury all day).  

Maverick at Cedar Point also still draws a good crowd. It’s a double-launch coaster and I thought it was fun as hell. I’m still trying to decide whether I want to get a Gold Pass for just Carowinds or get the Platinum Pass and do both again for 2019.

• Like 1