monsoon

Carowinds

27 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Yes, Kingda Ka does have a top hat, but it's a pretty extreme coaster, and the layout runs about 1200' from one end to the other.  There's no possible way a coaster of those proportions could ever fit here.  Roller coaster elements are not exclusive to certain types of roller coasters, so smaller coasters can have things like top hats too.   Kingda Ka has only one launch, not two, and it is solely for the purpose of pushing the coaster up a 456' hill.  Thus, it needs to be really long and very powerful.   The new coaster at Carowinds doesn't need that kind of power since it won't be climbing so high, so it just needs to be enough to push the train through a few elements.  And I think that two launches are more of a bragging right than a physical necessity in this case.

Looking at the design of kingda ka and the hinted at layout of this coaster (posted above), I think you're right. It doesnt look possible for it to have that kind of height with this design. I'm still excited about this ride but I guess I got a little carried away with potential height in my mind haha. 

Anyone want to guess what those numbers allude to? After reading up on it some, apparently developers will often give fake Easter eggs along with real hints with these type of announcements.

Should also note that a sports venue will be coming to the park within the next few years as blueprints show 

42 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Should also note that a sports venue will be coming to the park within the next few years as blueprints show 

New Panthers Stadium confirmed 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Here's an view of the construction site from above:

IMG_20180817_164825.thumb.jpg.b19d68004e861fe9b2478d49ca9d81bb.jpg

That circular concrete pad is going to be the new location of the ride formerly known as Woodstock Gliders, which was located in the Planet Snoopy area but is nonetheless an excellent ride for all ages.   I believe where the two rows of columns lie will be the station/loading area of the coaster.

But all shall be revealed in 11 days!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

That circular concrete pad is going to be the new location of the ride formerly known as Woodstock Gliders, which was located in the Planet Snoopy area but is nonetheless an excellent ride for all ages.   I believe where the two rows of columns lie will be the station/loading area of the coaster.

For a moment, I thought you meant that Carowinds was removing Woodstock Gliders. :shok: That's one of my favorite rides there lol, glad they are keeping it.

25 minutes ago, nicholas said:

For a moment, I thought you meant that Carowinds was removing Woodstock Gliders. :shok: That's one of my favorite rides there lol, glad they are keeping it.

It was removed, but will return at the new location next year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Glad to hear that. Woodstock gliders really is just an all-around great ride.

PS: the pixel 2s camera is freaking awesome. I just got it and the photos are absurd

Copperhead Strike

dual launch coaster. 0-42mph in 2.5 seconds. 5 inversions. Pretty cool. Too slow though 

• Like 2

I’d say they really overhyped this announcement, but I am looking forward to this coaster. 

• Like 1

I for one am really disappointed.  This seems small compared to the hype and what we've gotten used to.  Oh well, at least they continue to invest in both new rides and old venues.

36 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

I for one am really disappointed.  This seems small compared to the hype and what we've gotten used to.  Oh well, at least they continue to invest in both new rides and old venues.

Not every coaster can be Fury. 

That is awesome, but since I almost got sick watching the video, I guess riding it is out of question for me, lol.   Nice addition for Carowinds and Charlotte in general.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was thinking Borg/Night Hawk, but it's been awhile.  Seems like a great addition (and Blue Ridge Junction would also be a great place for a logging themed flume ride).  

4 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Reminds me of Corkscrew at Cedar Point which is a pretty fun roller coaster.   It's the type you can probably run right up to with minimal wait while everyone's waiting for the big ticket coasters like Fury. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_(Cedar_Point)

Will be nothing like Corkscrew.   Much more like Maverick at CP.  And this will be the 2nd most popular coaster,  maybe 1st next year.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, skymiler said:

Will be nothing like Corkscrew.   Much more like Maverick at CP.  And this will be the 2nd most popular coaster,  maybe 1st next year.

This is correct. Corkscrew is almost identical to our Cyclone. I visited CP this year and Maverick was by far the most popular ride besides Steel Vengeance. 

Also, I can’t wait for the Woodstock Gliders to come back. It’s my favorite ride in the park. I rode the Lake Erie Eagles at CP at least a dozen times the weekend I was up there.

• Like 1