Carowinds

monsoon

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  Thunder Road isn't bringing in visitors to the park.  While I agree that from a nostalgic point of view it's sad to see the old wooden coasters leaving, they "generally" don't bring the paying customers (unless they're REALLY famous).  My family has been here 7 years and had season passes for 5 years.  I've ridden Thunder Road once and my wife has never ridden it.  It's out of the way but it's not a destination.  Sorry.

• Like 1

It's going bye bye... Look at social media...

To that I say BOOOOOO. How in the world could they tear that down?!?! It's thunder Road. THE roller coaster of Carowinds. It's iconic and it's big... It's a main attraction.

I guess our tradition of knocking down old stuff isnt limited to uptown

If you're like me, it's iconic in a nostalgia type of way. It was my 1st big coaster as a child growing up, so I'll always have that. There are 2 other clones at Kings Dominion and Kings Island so it's not iconic to many. Now days though with the maintenance required, the fact that there are many bigger coasters in the park and people are not paying to come ride Thunder Road it kind of makes sense. Removing can help expand the park out as TR sort of prevented this in that direction. I believe Cedar Fair has stated they intended to make Carowinds their Cedar Point of the South, so maybe coupled with the Fury 325 build this is a step in that direction.

But, but, they run one side in reverse. Seriously though, it's a relatively small coaster and the whole nostalgia arguement is probably only valid to an increasingly smaller portion of the crowd every year. Plus, they have the Hurler on the other side of the park (is that what it's still called? I honestly haven't been there since Paramount owned the place) and maintenance has to be insane on Thunder Road. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Cedar Fair is discovering that a large amount of the wood needs to be replaced or concrete footings are cracking or things like that and removal is probably more cost effective especially when you factor in that practically nobody is bee-lining it to this ride after they enter the park.

I hate to see historic and classic things come down like this too, but if there is one thing an amusement park must do to stay successful and relevant is change and update.

*Edit due to piss poor proofreading.

Edited by go_vertical

But, but, they run one side in reverse. Seriously though, it's a relatively small coaster and the whole nostalgia arguement is probably only valid to an increasingly smaller portion of the crowd every year. Plus, they have the Hurler on the other side of the park (is that what it's still called? I honestly haven't been there since Paramount owned the place) and maintenance has to be insane on Thunder Road. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Cedar Fair is discovering that a large amount of the wood needs to be replaced or concrete footings are cracking or things like that and removal is probably more cost effective especially when you factor in that practically nobody is bee-lining it to this ride after they enter the park.

I hate to see historic and classic things come down like this too, but if there is one thing an amusement park must do to stay successful and relevant is change and update.

*Edit due to piss poor proofreading.

Thunder Road hasn't run backwards in several years. Regarding Hurler, yes it's still called that and it's no comparison to TR. IMO, Hurler is much rougher and in need of more TLC than TR. If Hurler and TR locations were reversed, I'm sure Hurler would be on the chopping block.

• Like 1

Thunder Road and some of the kiddie coasters are literally only the coasters I skip. I still ride Hurler. Maybe I just haven't been on THAT many wooden coasters (maybe 10 including these 2?) but Thunder Road does not seem to be in a good state. Even in a genre where getting banged around is half the point, its an unpleasant and often painful ride. 

Thunder Road hasn't run backwards in several years. Regarding Hurler, yes it's still called that and it's no comparison to TR. IMO, Hurler is much rougher and in need of more TLC than TR. If Hurler and TR locations were reversed, I'm sure Hurler would be on the chopping block.

Again, I haven't been there since Paramount owned the place, but I was being tongue-in-cheek about the whole reverse thing. And in regards to Hurler being rough, I rode it many times the summer it opened and it has been a rough coaster since day one. In fact if I remember correctly they were unofficially touting how rough it was. Most wooden coasters are inherently bumpy as hell, but I believe that was sort of the thing they were going for thus giving more credence to the name Hurler.

Cedar Fair has a history of adding to park land by building a path under an old coaster (Kings Island goes under the Racer, Cedar Point's water park is build around Magnum). While I think they COULD tear down Thunder Run, I find it incredibly unlikely. Apart from the turn around (which yes is in the water park area) the coaster is so long and narrow they gain virtually nothing by tearing it down. My guess is 1 of 2 things:

1. They are remodeling it to be like the new trend of wooden/steel hybrid coasters (see colossus at Magic Mountain)

2. They are doing structural work to the hills before the turnaround so that they can build a path under it so guests can access the "other side/new addition" of the water park between Carowinds Blvd and the coaster.

Edited by Jayvee

Found this article vaguely discussing that Cedar Fair is planning on putting "dark rides" (think Disney style with a theme, characters, and varying levels of interactivity). Plans are to put one at every park and each one will be different from the others. It sounds pretty cool. The idea is that each park will have a mysterious creature living either in or under the park. No IP will be used as they plan on creating everything in house.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-dark-rides-20150415-story.html

And in regards to Hurler being rough, I rode it many times the summer it opened and it has been a rough coaster since day one. In fact if I remember correctly they were unofficially touting how rough it was. Most wooden coasters are inherently bumpy as hell, but I believe that was sort of the thing they were going for thus giving more credence to the name Hurler.

Trust me, The Hurler was not built to be rough, nor was it touted that way. The Hurler was themed after Wayne's World and it was a play on words that this coaster will make you hurl. Rough coasters give you headaches, not stomach aches.

In general, you are correct, most coasters are bumpy, but Hurler today is much worse than it was when you rode it during its opening season. Most coaster enthusiast I've heard agree that TR is in much better shape and would rather see the Hurler demolished. TR just happens to be in the location where the park is expanding.

Apart from the turn around (which yes is in the water park area) the coaster is so long and narrow they gain virtually nothing by tearing it down. My guess is 1 of 2 things:

1. They are remodeling it to be like the new trend of wooden/steel hybrid coasters (see colossus at Magic Mountain)

2. They are doing structural work to the hills before the turnaround so that they can build a path under it so guests can access the "other side/new addition" of the water park between Carowinds Blvd and the coaster.

Unfortunately I believe it's coming down. There's quite a bit of room on the other side of TR (not including the turn around) that can/will be available for expansion. I'm thinking the whole County Fair area will look totally different in a few years. I believe the Action Theater will be re-purposed or removed, Southern Star, Bumper Cars, Yo-Yo, White Water Falls and Putt-Putt all are likely removed, replaced etc.

I never said it was built to be rough, it just is. Unless they went back and rebuilt the cars there was simply a padded bench seat with a lap bar. There might have been a small partition in the middle, can't quite remember, but with every turn you would slide from side to side a little. This coaster wasn't ever meant to be a smooth ride. Also, numerous times while waiting in line the operators would say something like "welcome to the bumpiest ride in the carolinas" or something to that effect. Now, that could have been completely improvised but it was said more than once by more than one person. I also remember a radio dj who had the chance to ride it before the park opened that year and he went on and on about how rough it was.

The original point I was trying to make was that Thunder Road is probably not in the best of shape. I'm sure Cedar Fair wants to take the park to the next level and if the oldest coaster in the park has to go for something new and shiny so be it. They might only see the need for one wooden coaster for the park and Hurler is taller and faster. Old school woodens just aren't crowd magnets anymore. The potential destruction of the ride clearly isn't causing waves and it surely isn't making much news. A large chunk of the area's residents have more than likely only lived here 15 maybe 20 years and they just don't have the nostalgia for it like you clearly do.

I never said it was built to be rough, it just is. Unless they went back and rebuilt the cars there was simply a padded bench seat with a lap bar. There might have been a small partition in the middle, can't quite remember, but with every turn you would slide from side to side a little. This coaster wasn't ever meant to be a smooth ride. Also, numerous times while waiting in line the operators would say something like "welcome to the bumpiest ride in the carolinas" or something to that effect. Now, that could have been completely improvised but it was said more than once by more than one person. I also remember a radio dj who had the chance to ride it before the park opened that year and he went on and on about how rough it was.

The original point I was trying to make was that Thunder Road is probably not in the best of shape. I'm sure Cedar Fair wants to take the park to the next level and if the oldest coaster in the park has to go for something new and shiny so be it. They might only see the need for one wooden coaster for the park and Hurler is taller and faster. Old school woodens just aren't crowd magnets anymore. The potential destruction of the ride clearly isn't causing waves and it surely isn't making much news. A large chunk of the area's residents have more than likely only lived here 15 maybe 20 years and they just don't have the nostalgia for it like you clearly do.

All I've seen for the past couple days from every local new station on Facebook is about Thunder Road.

It's generated a lot of buzz.

I haven't been to Carowinds since Intimidator first opened. So my opinion probably doesnt matter.

(USNWC > Carowinds)

Not wanting to start a big argument here but you sure seem to know a lot or have some serious opinions about a coaster you haven't ridden since its opening season in 1994.

Here are a couple of corrections to some misstated comments you made above:

1.Thunder Road (1976) is not the oldest coaster in the park. That honor goes to Gold Rusher(1973) then followed by what used to be called Scooby Doo, now Woodstock Express (1975)

2. Removing TR doesn't leave 1 wooden coaster. It leaves 2.

3. The Hurler is not taller (83') or faster (50 mph) than TR (93' & 58 mph)

4. Old School wooden are still very popular. See Holiday World. They have the best collection with a couple consistently ranked in the top 10 year every year.

5. TR demise has certainly caused a lot of interest. Have you not heard of the on line petition to save TR?

Edited by skymiler

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 27th came and went and I totally forgot about the waterpark unveiling. The biz journal has info here: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/08/27/carolinas-heritage-plays-prominently-in-carowinds.html

Not as sexy as a 325' roller coaster, but a welcome upgrade. I always forget about that waterpark when I go to Carowinds.

The 27th came and went and I totally forgot about the waterpark unveiling. The biz journal has info here: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/08/27/carolinas-heritage-plays-prominently-in-carowinds.html

Not as sexy as a 325' roller coaster, but a welcome upgrade. I always forget about that waterpark when I go to Carowinds.

I, for one, am disappointed such a large area is being taken up by the newly-named Carolina Harbor.  I've always thought it would be better to have a stand-alone waterpark and leave room to make Carowinds a true roller coaster / thrill ride park.  Plus just the thought of waterparks gives me nightmares.  There is not enough chlorine in the world to make me dip a toe in a public pool, especially one filled with kids!

• Like 1

I will say, too, that Carowinds has an astronomical amount of land. The park boundaries are fairly well defined right now by their own infrastructure, but they have a lot of space to spread out into in the future. I'm sure they've got some highly confidential master plan documents that being moving their internal ops buildings and roadways out closer to their property perimeter to free up a ton of land at the edges of the guest-side park. They can also stand to loose two or three of their weaker rides in the middle of the park (I've got my eyes on you, Vortex & Rip Roarin' Rapids)

• Like 1