Carowinds

monsoon

Yeah the water parks make an absolutely astronomical amount of revenue for the parks. The attractions are cheap to build (compared to a roller coaster) and draw monster traffic. I never go to them but I definitely get it. 

Fair points.  Maybe more people at the waterpark next summer will mean fewer people in line for the roller coasters!

I've always thought it would be better to have a stand-alone waterpark and leave room to make Carowinds a true roller coaster / thrill ride park. 

You're crazy!  Before Thunder Road was disassembled, Carowinds had more (14/15) rollercoasters than all but three parks in the WORLD.  Losing Thunder Road set us back to #7 (or maybe still 4th, not sure if the site included Fury or not;) yet still #4 in the world for number of loops!  It just doesn't feel like it for some reason.  IMO, Carowinds doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Edited by AuLukey
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I'm new here, but I follow Carowinds as well as the general amusement park industry pretty closely, so I thought that I would add my knowledge...

Thunder Road was a great coaster, but it had fallen into disrepair (on the part of multiple owners, including Cedar Fair) and would have needed a large amount of money to bring back to better condition.  We should keep in mind, however, that Cedar Fair did rebuild portions of it to keep it running for a few more years.  They planned to expand Boomerang Bay anyway, and it wouldn't have made sense to dismantle Thunder Road after the expansion, because then it would be in the middle of a waterpark and less accessible.  Also, it was 39 years old.  It wasn't a huge draw for crowds.  A massively expanded and re-themed waterpark is, however, and it makes sense that they chose the waterpark, because in the long-term, that will be a better buy than an already 39 year-old coaster that won't hang around forever.  I miss Thunder Road, but I understand the reasons for its removal, and I trust that Cedar Fair has great things in store for the park.

Also, I'm fairly certain that no one here has noticed that the park is also converting one half of the old Action Theater into an interactive Plants Vs. Zombies experience:  https://www.carowinds.com/what-s-new/plants-vs-zombies/?mobile=0

And if that and Carolina Harbor aren't enough, there is still another ride for 2016 yet to be announced that will be a great and unique addition for the park.

Cedar Fair plans to continue heavily investing in Carowinds, which makes me very excited for what will come, even if there are prices to pay, such as the removal of an iconic coaster.

Cheers,

Merthecat

19 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Welcome to the forums Merthecat.

I wasn't aware of the PvZ themed attraction either, but I know my nine year old nephew will blow his freaking top when I tell him about it. And another yet-to-be-announced ride coming next year? Any speculation on what type it might be?

It will be a Mondial Top Scan (If you Google that you'll see what I mean).  It has arrived on site at Carowinds but the exact location in the park has yet to be uncovered.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2015 at 9:50 PM, tozmervo said:

Heh, I think some of us probably noticed the Plants v Zombies ride - speaking for myself, I just had no interest in it, so I didn't mention it :)

Speaking of the new Plants vs. Zombies video game attraction, the LA Times, according to a quick search, got the name of one of the characters wrong in it's recent article about video game attractions at amusement parks.  Instead of Dr. Zomboss, they printed Dr. Zombass, and the CBJ picked up the mistake in a quote.  When I first read the latter, I couldn't believe Cedar Fair would choose that name for an attraction obviously designed for kids and families.  I'm sure quite a few parents would be horrified, and I can only imagine the number of kids running around the park calling each other zombasses after playing the game.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-ea-video-games-plants-zombies-mass-effect-20160121-story.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2016/01/la-times-likes-carowinds-new-zombies-video-game.html

• 3 weeks later...

There is now significant evidence suggesting that Carowinds will be receiving 5 flat rides (in other words, a ride like Scream Weaver, YoYo, etc.) in the next two years, most likely all in 2017.  The ride I already told you about has not been announced and is still sitting onsite, so it will almost definitely be waiting another year to be installed.

• 5 months later...

Look for an announcement of 2017 additions this Thursday, August 18.  From what I hear, the park will be receiving at least 4 vintage "flat rides," to be located in various areas around the park.  I'd also keep an eye on the area around Hurler.  The park is reportedly moving the access road behind the ride deeper into the woods to make room for future expansion.  Also, Hurler's future is a bit hazy.  It's possible that it might not last much longer, although I hope this isn't true.

I'm not sure if there's anything else in store, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?  ;)

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

It's possible it can see the wood to steel conversion that a ton of wood coasters are seeing across the country. quite an awesome trend

Ah, yes, an RMC (Rocky Mountain Construction).  I'd love to see that happen, but I doubt it will.  Carowinds' Hurler is one of two, the other being in Kings Dominion, and theirs has had some issues and is closed for the rest of the year.  It's fate does not look good at this point, and I wouldn't expect anything to happen to the Carowinds Hurler until we see what Kings Dominion does with theirs.  If Carowinds were to receive an RMC coaster, I would prefer it to replace Hurler rather than renovate it.

But this is all basically just speculation -- nothing is official yet.