Carowinds

monsoon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

There are clues on Instagram. My guess: taller and faster than Kingda Ka... 530' tall, 107.6 mph in 2.5 seconds. Snake/moonshine themed. ride time 2 minutes 24 seconds ride time, passenger trains 16 people, 3,255 feet long. Launches twice, once forward then once backwards (since ride time is double that of kingda ka). My wild stab at it haha. Def. would put it as new tallest int he world until that tower in Orlando were built.

that would be worthy of the hype! hope you're correct.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2018 at 3:36 PM, Seabrooke said:

There are clues on Instagram. My guess: taller and faster than Kingda Ka... 530' tall, 107.6 mph in 2.5 seconds. Snake/moonshine themed. ride time 2 minutes 24 seconds ride time, passenger trains 16 people, 3,255 feet long. Launches twice, once forward then once backwards (since ride time is double that of kingda ka). My wild stab at it haha. Def. would put it as new tallest int he world until that tower in Orlando were built.

Hate to ruin your dreams, but the layout literally leaked months ago. 

So this seems like it'll be dual launch.

I'm guess that's the two spoonfuls reference. 

But the others are for? 3255 feet length, 530 ft tall, and obviously 2' 24" with 16 people per car?

I wanna know the speed!

db_2019_Carowinds_MackLaunchLayout1_web1.jpg

37386811_233621540611408_4802324459757240320_n.png

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nick2 said:

So this seems like it'll be dual launch.

I'm guess that's the two spoonfuls reference. 

But the others are for? 3255 feet length, 530 ft tall, and obviously 2' 24" with 16 people per car?

I wanna know the speed!

db_2019_Carowinds_MackLaunchLayout1_web1.jpg

37386811_233621540611408_4802324459757240320_n.png

Definitely not 530 ft tall, that would make it the tallest roller coaster on Earth. It’s probably 53.0 mph and the launch is 2.5 seconds to full speed. 

20 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Definitely not 530 ft tall, that would make it the tallest roller coaster on Earth. It’s probably 53.0 mph and the launch is 2.5 seconds to full speed. 

Why couldn't it be the new tallest? Kingda ka is in Jackson new Jersey and is the current tallest. This is looking to be the same category of coaster and it's in a major city in a higher profile amusement park.

Why would they even bother hyping this so much if the top speed will only be 53 mph?

12 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Why couldn't it be the new tallest? Kingda ka is in Jackson new Jersey and is the current tallest. This is looking to be the same category of coaster and it's in a major city in a higher profile amusement park.

Why would they even bother hyping this so much if the top speed will only be 53 mph?

No where near the same type of coaster, two completely different manufacturers. Not to mention there is no possible way for anything that tall to be built within the leaked layout or footprint the coaster is being built in. 

Mack Coasters are expensive. That, plus the fact there’s a hotel being built on property, a flat ride (or two) being added, and possibly an entire retheme to the Crossroads area is what is making them hype it up. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

36 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

No where near the same type of coaster, two completely different manufacturers. Not to mention there is no possible way for anything that tall to be built within the leaked layout or footprint the coaster is being built in. 

Mack Coasters are expensive. That, plus the fact there’s a hotel being built on property, a flat ride (or two) being added, and possibly an entire retheme to the Crossroads area is what is making them hype it up. 

You sound a lot more knowledgeable than I am for sure and those points make sense.

But what about the fact that there is a design showing two "launches" plus a "top hat". Aren't those the principal characteristics of the type of coaster kingda ka is?

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

To be fair, Mack Rides coasters are no more expensive than B&M (Intimidator, Fury 325, Afterburn), but yeah, any new coaster is going to cause hype. This will probably be around $30ish million which is the going rate for a new large scale coaster. 

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

You sound a lot more knowledgeable than I am for sure and those points make sense.

But what about the fact that there is a design showing two "launches" plus a "top hat". Aren't those the principal characteristics of the type of coaster kingda ka is?

Yes, Kingda Ka does have a top hat, but it's a pretty extreme coaster, and the layout runs about 1200' from one end to the other.  There's no possible way a coaster of those proportions could ever fit here.  Roller coaster elements are not exclusive to certain types of roller coasters, so smaller coasters can have things like top hats too.   Kingda Ka has only one launch, not two, and it is solely for the purpose of pushing the coaster up a 456' hill.  Thus, it needs to be really long and very powerful.   The new coaster at Carowinds doesn't need that kind of power since it won't be climbing so high, so it just needs to be enough to push the train through a few elements.  And I think that two launches are more of a bragging right than a physical necessity in this case.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Yes, Kingda Ka does have a top hat, but it's a pretty extreme coaster, and the layout runs about 1200' from one end to the other.  There's no possible way a coaster of those proportions could ever fit here.  Roller coaster elements are not exclusive to certain types of roller coasters, so smaller coasters can have things like top hats too.   Kingda Ka has only one launch, not two, and it is solely for the purpose of pushing the coaster up a 456' hill.  Thus, it needs to be really long and very powerful.   The new coaster at Carowinds doesn't need that kind of power since it won't be climbing so high, so it just needs to be enough to push the train through a few elements.  And I think that two launches are more of a bragging right than a physical necessity in this case.

Looking at the design of kingda ka and the hinted at layout of this coaster (posted above), I think you're right. It doesnt look possible for it to have that kind of height with this design. I'm still excited about this ride but I guess I got a little carried away with potential height in my mind haha. 

Anyone want to guess what those numbers allude to? After reading up on it some, apparently developers will often give fake Easter eggs along with real hints with these type of announcements.