Jump to content

monsoon

Carowinds

Recommended Posts

^ Wow.  I am not surprised about the rapids ride, though it does surprise me a little that they're getting rid of it totally vs. improving it.  Makes me think they have something big planned for both plots.

The Dinosaurs Alive thing is not a surprise.  Honestly, once you've gone through once, there's almost no reason to go through again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

^ Wow.  I am not surprised about the rapids ride, though it does surprise me a little that they're getting rid of it totally vs. improving it.  Makes me think they have something big planned for both plots.

The Dinosaurs Alive thing is not a surprise.  Honestly, once you've gone through once, there's almost no reason to go through again...

Well they didn’t technically rule out a renovation of the rapids. They said that it was “retired” and to “say goodbye”, but when asked if there was a possibility of a reno, all they would say is they “don’t know what will happen in that area”. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the Southern Christmas Show at the Merch Mart in 1972 and met Pat Hall, the developer and creator of Carowinds. He was there with Miss South Carolina pimping for his new park. Pat developed the Arrowood Industrial Park then moved a bit further for this Disneyland clone. He was just 50 or 51 then but looked much older (to my young self)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's CBJ - "Carowinds prepares to double launch into 2019 season with new roller coaster, themed area," by Ashley Fahey, 03/21/2019

Excerpts:  "Carowinds ... is debuting Blue Ridge Junction, a 7-acre, mountain-themed area that hearkens back to an earlier version of Blue Ridge Junction that was part of the park years ago.  The centerpiece attraction, Copperhead Strike, is a roller coaster that's meant to evoke a Carolinas history of moonshiners on the lam, racing through the mountains in a getaway car to escape the police.   Also in Blue Ridge Junction, Carowinds has also brought back an updated version of a carriage ride, Mountain Gliders, previously known as Woodstock Gliders." ... "Copperhead Strike is touted as the first double-launch roller coaster in the Carolinas.  The ride's "launch" feature shoots trains from 0 to 42 miles per hour in less than three seconds, followed by several twists, tight turns and five total inversions. The ride's duration is 2 minutes, 24 seconds.  "Copperhead" has a double meaning — the snake, of course, and it's a reference to a copper-clad still for moonshine.  The roller coaster is the park's 14th, following the 2015 debut of gigacoaster Fury 325.

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/21/photoscarowinds-prepares-to-double-launch-into.html?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

NC law requires new parking lots to have trees, where they stop is the state line. Hopefully they do continue redoing the parking lot, though. 

Except for the right side of the bus lot in that photo, pretty sure the rest of the parking lot is in S.C.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, teeg said:

Except for the right side of the bus lot in that photo, pretty sure the rest of the parking lot is in S.C.  

It isn’t, which is why there were no trees added on the SC side of the parking lot during the reconfiguration for Intimidator’s construction. 

https://www.ncforestservice.gov/Urban/pdf/treeProtection.pdf

Edited by TheOneRJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

It isn’t, which is why there were no trees added on the SC side of the parking lot during the reconfiguration for Intimidator’s construction. 

https://www.ncforestservice.gov/Urban/pdf/treeProtection.pdf

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, I grabbed this image from the Mecklenburg County Polaris system.  The lower part (under the dashed line triangle) is South Carolina.  Above it, Charlotte / North Carolina.

1856773747_PolarisCarowinds.png.3b79b0de534dd251e3fdd800a63d0a23.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are annual attendance numbers for the park ever made public? I'm curious to know how well it's doing since Cedar Fair began all the improvements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

Are annual attendance numbers for the park ever made public? I'm curious to know how well it's doing since Cedar Fair began all the improvements. 

CBJ reported 2 million in 2017, but that's the only number I can readily find. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, TheOneRJ said:

NC law requires new parking lots to have trees, where they stop is the state line. Hopefully they do continue redoing the parking lot, though. 

I don't believe that NC law requires this, all the general statute does is give municipalities and counties the option to require landscaping. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.