Jump to content

Carowinds


monsoon

Recommended Posts


12 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Carowinds surpassed 2 million annual visitors in 2015, becoming the 5th most-visited park in the chain. It’s also the largest by size at 407 acres. 

That 407 acres is misleading.   The park itself is nowhere near that big, or nowhere near as big as some of the other parks in the chain.  The land that surrounds the park (outside the gates) that is also owned by Carowinds makes up a big portion of that 407 acres.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, skymiler said:

That 407 acres is misleading.   The park itself is nowhere near that big, or nowhere near as big as some of the other parks in the chain.  The land that surrounds the park (outside the gates) that is also owned by Carowinds makes up a big portion of that 407 acres.

Carowinds owns 407 acres, more than any other park Cedar Fair owns - that’s factual, not debatable. There is easily 100+ acres of land to be developed inside the park boundaries and near the campground. Cedar Point and King’s Island are the only two parks, while smaller in total land, that are more developed than Carowinds. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2019 at 10:23 PM, TheOneRJ said:

Carowinds owns 407 acres, more than any other park Cedar Fair owns - that’s factual, not debatable. There is easily 100+ acres of land to be developed inside the park boundaries and near the campground. Cedar Point and King’s Island are the only two parks, while smaller in total land, that are more developed than Carowinds. 

Not debating the 407 acres.   Read my post again.  Some could read your post as the park itself (not total land owned) is 407 acres.  I know there is plenty of room to grow, I'm not debating that.  My point was the park, inside the gated attractions (which drew over 2m visitors) is nowhere near 407 acres.   In fact, it's not even half of that.....and that's not debatable!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

New water park slides and festival being added in 2020. The hotel will also be operational before WinterFest this year. 

Again, impressed with the continued investment - every year for over a decade. 

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/08/15/1902381/0/en/NEW-MAT-RACING-WATER-SLIDE-ATTRACTION-GRAND-CARNIVALE-INTERNATIONAL-FESTIVAL-COMING-TO-CAROWINDS-IN-2020.html

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, sakami said:

I’ve read through the marketing materials but I don’t see anything to indicate where in Carolina Harbor this will go. Anyone familiar with the land over there?

Its going to be near the inside Carolina Harbor entrance, next to Copperhead Strike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copperhead Stride is closed. On Sunday, somebody injured their thumb pretty badly. Reports vary greatly. Most people are saying “kEeP yOuR HanDs aNd FeEt InSiDe ThE VEhIcLe” but some of the lady’s friends came to her defense and said her hands were where they were supposed to be and that the seat in front of her broke and severed her thumb.

 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/copperhead-strike-ride-currently-closed-at-carowinds-after-injury/275-d80d0d30-6b05-464b-9d03-5bc2bd050f3a

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

That parking lot expansion looks YUGE for just the hotel.  Is it possible they are expanding the north parking to perhaps take some of the south parking for future attractions?

I think that is a possibility in the future, but there is still land within the current park boundaries for future development. It looks like they’re just extending the parking lot to the entrance road for closer proximity to the hotel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Parking lot expansion for the hotel opening this year. 

F5F7C8F2-A9AD-4A6B-B89D-E03F265954E6.jpeg

On a scale of 1 to 10, how scary is the above roller coaster? With 1 meaning my grandma would yawn and 10 being white knuckle terror. I was just curious as I haven’t had a chance to ride it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's always in the top 10 coasters to ride, but it depends on the individual. If your a coaster geek, its a "must do" coaster.    325' high, looooong drop, smooth as glass and speeds of 95mph, on the other hand, I'm not convinced your grandma would ride it unless she's used to high speeds and LOTS of wind in her face. LOL!

I would advise a visit to YouTube but no video can do it justice, it's just that good.

Scale: 10's, 10's, 10's across the board!!   ( Coaster geek hint.... grab a front row seat for your first ride and you will thank me later. )

Hope this helps. 

Edited by UPNoDa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UPNoDa said:

It's always in the top 10 coasters to ride, but it depends on the individual. If your a coaster geek, its a "must do" coaster.    325' high, looooong drop, smooth as glass and speeds of 95mph, on the other hand, I'm not convinced your grandma would ride it unless she's used to high speeds and LOTS of wind in her face. LOL!

I would advise a visit to YouTube but no video can do it justice, it's just that good.

Scale: 10's, 10's, 10's across the board!!   ( Coaster geek hint.... grab a front row seat for your first ride and you will thank me later. )

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for that quite compelling reply UPNoDa! I’m definitely a coaster fan, but haven’t had my Carrowinds fix in a while. I pass it all the time when rolling down to SC, but I’m always commenting for work. One of these days I’m playing hooky and riding that Beast! 

A2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A2. said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how scary is the above roller coaster? With 1 meaning my grandma would yawn and 10 being white knuckle terror. I was just curious as I haven’t had a chance to ride it. 

I'd say for scariness is about an 8. It's a straight forward ride with no loops or upside downs but it's one hell of an adrenaline rush for speed and height.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I'd say for scariness is about an 8. It's a straight forward ride with no loops or upside downs but it's one hell of an adrenaline rush for speed and height.

Yep, about an 8 for scariness and 10 for excitement.  I have seen at least one puking kid (and felt some of the puke hit me) while on the ride.  :sick:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I personally think the new coaster is the scariest due to how many times it feels like you’re going to fall out of the seat, but Fury 325 has been named the best steel coaster in the world for the past 3 years for a reason. 

I actually did not know that. That is pretty cool though if that’s the case! :tw_glasses:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.