Carowinds

monsoon

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

They better not change the name to six flags Charlotte if they do buy cedar fair out.

It would probably be Six Flags Carolina. I’m pretty sure Cedar Fair is only interested in selling some of the smaller parks, there’s 0% chance any of the big 5 get sold, including Carowinds. 

• Like 4

This is slightly off-topic and complainy, but does Carowinds always suck?  We go once a year, in October during the day because crowds are LIGHT......and the operational aspects are worse and worse every year.  Yesterday they had only 2 x-ray lines (4 total machines) open, so there was a huge line snaking out the front.  Park opened at 10am.  Daughter 1 went to Nighthawk, she was set to be on car 3 of the day, but it broke after 2 cars and she gave up after waiting 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, Daughter 2 and I went to Intimidator, and it didn't start running until 10:20am.  Then when we all got to CopperheadStrike at 10:50, it wasn't running yet.....finally opening about 2 minutes later.  All 3 of Intimidator, Copperhead, and Fury had 3 cars running, but the changeouts were so slow that each car finished the entire trip before the next car started.  Can they really be that inefficient all the time?  

44 minutes ago, grodney said:

This is slightly off-topic and complainy, but does Carowinds always suck?  We go once a year, in October during the day because crowds are LIGHT......and the operational aspects are worse and worse every year.  Yesterday they had only 2 x-ray lines (4 total machines) open, so there was a huge line snaking out the front.  Park opened at 10am.  Daughter 1 went to Nighthawk, she was set to be on car 3 of the day, but it broke after 2 cars and she gave up after waiting 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, Daughter 2 and I went to Intimidator, and it didn't start running until 10:20am.  Then when we all got to CopperheadStrike at 10:50, it wasn't running yet.....finally opening about 2 minutes later.  All 3 of Intimidator, Copperhead, and Fury had 3 cars running, but the changeouts were so slow that each car finished the entire trip before the next car started.  Can they really be that inefficient all the time?  

There was a sign yesterday at the front entrance letting guests know of limited operations. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

There was a sign yesterday at the front entrance letting guests know of limited operations. 

Ah really?!  Well there you go.  So probably the answer is "no" they aren't that inefficient all the time.  Thanks!

Edited by grodney

I wonder if it's just difficult to have enough staff this time of year to operate everything at full staff.  We don't have season passes this year but have been regulars over the last 6 years and it wasn't usually like this.  The only part that was normally inefficient was food service.  Some of the rides do load and unload slowly - not sure why they can't match the model of Disney or Universal (though Fury and a couple of others are pretty efficient).  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Yea, look what Six Flags did to New Orleans when Katrina hit....Current company wouldn't leave Charlotte hanging like that. 

Image result for six flags new orleans

Of course the entire amusement park in east New Orleans was underwater for weeks after the levees broke and the park was not as successful as others and they knew it would be  long road back from the New Orleans metro.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Of course the entire amusement park in east New Orleans was underwater for weeks after the levees broke and the park was not as successful as others and they knew it would be  long road back from the New Orleans metro.  

they took the rides that still worked and got the insurance money and booked it. I'm glad Carowinds turned them down. 

• Like 1

Carowinds is most definitely highly dependent on high schoolers. i worked there though my years in high school. This time of year Carowinds is stretched for staff members because they not only need staff for during the day for Carowinds, but also at night for Scarowinds. They rely on temps to help during this time of year, but of course the temps aren't as good or as efficient. This time of year isn't necessarily the best time to go. I think the best time to go is in the Spring.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...