Carowinds

monsoon

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 8:16 PM, KJHburg said:

Copperhead Strike coaster ranked as one of the top 5 best new theme park attractions in US

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/13/carowinds-newest-roller-coaster-earns-national.html

I love Copperhead Strike, but the Gliders are my favorite ride in the park. I’m glad they brought them back as the Mountain Gliders, but I’m torn because I used to get a lot more rides in when they were tucked away in Peanuts Land.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

In a recent interview, the GM and VP of Carowinds hinted at the park changing to year-round operations in the future. That would give Carowinds an advantage over nearby parks such as Dollywood, who operate on a seasonal schedule. She also once again alludes to Carowinds becoming the Cedar Point of the South, and wants more on property hotels and retail offerings. 

https://www.iaapa.org/aspire-higher

Smart, no reason it can't be open year-round with our climate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, jordan704 said:

"Carowinds to remain closed until next year due to coronavirus concerns"

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article244721742.html

Does this include the Halloween and Christmas events they have as well?  If that is the case, that would take a fairly large chunk away from their bottom line as those events PACK that place during the off-season!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 2:25 AM, TheOneRJ said:

Although no official announcement yet, it looks like WinterFest will be happening this year. Christmas lights have been installed all around the park and multiple job positions have been posted today for all departments - something that doesn't usually happen until after New Years.

As expected, Carowinds will re-open from November 21 - December 20 for their Christmas event. Reservations and health screenings required. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

B233592B-EC72-4578-973C-5DF5D6ED7C90.jpeg.7b1b7a018b0f43e2360c9f3ad69713fa.jpeg
It appears that “Taste of the Season” is a scaled back version of WinterFest that will not have as many rides or events as usual. WinterFest has less rides open anyway, but usually Top Gun (aka Afterburn) and the new Copperhead Strike (last year anyway) were open for it. Not sure if any thrill rides will be included at all this year due to social distancing, but expect a few family rides.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, King of the Queen City said:

B233592B-EC72-4578-973C-5DF5D6ED7C90.jpeg.7b1b7a018b0f43e2360c9f3ad69713fa.jpeg
It appears that “Taste of the Season” is a scaled back version of WinterFest that will not have as many rides or events as usual. WinterFest has less rides open anyway, but usually Top Gun (aka Afterburn) and the new Copperhead Strike (last year anyway) were open for it. Not sure if any thrill rides will be included at all this year due to social distancing, but expect a few family rides.

All of the rides typically open during WinterFest will be open for this event. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge there. I had passes to the after-show in the reception space above the main entry building for the park. I asked Kris if he wanted a drink and brought him what he wanted, whatever it was. Also Delbert McClinton and Lyle Lovett on a double bill. Quite a show.This is all 80's, maybe early 90's for the Lovett-McClinton show.  Soon the talent became too expensive and booking shifted to bigger venues. The shows brought people to see the performers but did not buy Park tickets.

• Like 2