Carowinds

monsoon

12 hours ago, nicholas said:

80+ mph roller coasters in sub 40 degree weather? Eh...

That will sting on the face, but is still preferable to waiting in line in 95 degree weather.  Standing in the blazing sun as the sweat drips down your back (and other places) can leave you a bit soggy and irritable...yuk!

• Like 3

Several years ago we went to Carowinds first thing in the morning in the spring.  It was a cool morning - I believe it was in the 40s when we got there.  Many of the rides, including most of the coasters, weren't open yet because they have a minimum temperature to run (metal expanding and contracting).  Once the temperature got to that threshold they then had to do all of their trial runs before opening them.  That would be my concern about operations through the winter - I believe they'll be WAY scaled back.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
18 hours ago, FLOSC843 said:

Talk about your bad timing . Just as summer kicks off. Thankfully, I don't believe anyone was hurt or injured. A social media post from the article implied the ride may be out of commission for a while. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/carowinds-fury-325-ride-close-local/275-9caaab31-5e8a-421e-a5a6-ecd877304ec5

That does suck but glad it’ll be getting repaired soon and no one got hurt/no catastrophe taking place.  Interesting though - CNN Front Page News says that the Fury is the largest Giga Coaster (meaning over 300’ drop) in North America.  I hadn’t realized that.  Very interesting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

The clip of Fury 325 is making the rounds.. now on BBC

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuPKlbarSax/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Oh I have seen it everywhere from the Daily Mail of the UK to all US national media.  

But in the end it will be fixed and reopened however I think that might be after this season is over.  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 6:51 PM, KJHburg said:

Oh I have seen it everywhere from the Daily Mail of the UK to all US national media.  

But in the end it will be fixed and reopened however I think that might be after this season is over.  

I don’t think it will take that long. Now that the park doesn’t have an off-season and operates year round, and this ride in particular is open through the entirety of the year including during the Halloween and Christmas events, I believe it will be re-opened before SCarowinds begins.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

I met Pat Hall, Mr Carowinds, in 1972 at the Southern Christmas Show at the then-Merchandise Mart on Independence. He had a display of the Park to attract attention and he and I shook hands and stood beside Miss South Carolina who was a relentless smile with a tiara. It was honestly exciting as theme parks were better than television, the comparison of the time. As with other such attractions, the experience was better after dark when the everyday elements were hidden from view and the lights made the magic the feature.

Up until recently, there was a really detailed scale model of the original entrance sitting beside the stage in Harmony Hall. I haven't seen it this season, but I wondered if that was a part of his original promotional material

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

…so it should be fairly easy to call up the vendor and have a support column shipped. 

Agree, but this particular vendor is in Western Switzerland. I suppose they have prepositioned parts near their largest market, or they have a metal shop on retainer. Could they fly something this big in?

Edited by kermit

14 hours ago, kermit said:

Agree, but this particular vendor is in Western Switzerland. I suppose they have prepositioned parts near their largest market, or they have a metal shop on retainer. Could they fly something this big in?

No, something that big would need to be shipped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...