Carowinds

monsoon

Cedar Point is the best thrill-ride park in the world. These people take roller coasters SERIOUSLY. The current biggest (they're always trying to out-do in the roller coaster arena) coaster's lift hill is as tall as Three Wachovia. Sheesh!

All in all, Carowinds is a good park. I think it helps that Paramount Park's corporate headquarters is here. I do wish they wouldn't have gotten away from the NC/SC theme, though. As a kid I thought it was the coolest to stand with one leg in NC and one in SC. Made it unique.

I have heard Carowinds is currently overhauling thier entertainment as well which is the reason for the new Winter Wonderland thing. So hopefully we will see stronger entertainment in the park in the future. After watching the Travel Channel's special on Universal Studios' Halloween themed event I suddenly feel as if Scarowinds is a bit of a let down. Of course I felt that way before the special as well. After all is said and done you are shelling out 38 or so dollars for a ticket, 8 bucks to park and all you get are a few overcrowded slapped together mazes of boredom and 1 hour waits for a coaster ride. All in all I think the event lacks in the creativity department.

Cedar Point is the best thrill-ride park in the world. These people take roller coasters SERIOUSLY. The current biggest (they're always trying to out-do in the roller coaster arena) coaster's lift hill is as tall as Three Wachovia. Sheesh!

They were just outdone this summer by Six flags great adventure in Jersey.

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventu...s/KingdaKa.html

I'll be on that puppy in 2 weeks :(

A few suggestions for Carowinds. Hire people who at least look like they're half-interested in what they are doing. When I went to Busch Gardens one of the things I was impressed about was all the employees seemed to be smiling and glad you were there. 2) update your music playlist (is Kenny Loggins even getting any royalties when you play highway through the danger zone? he could support his kids through college on this alone if you did.) 3) stop giving out basketballs as a prize (those kids who bounce them right next to you is very annoying.) 4) improve your landscaping and scenery; i.e. more trees, shade, etc. The heat in the dogdays of summer is oppressive and somewhere to cool down would be nice. Otherwise, jolly good show, big fan.

^ and instead of closing down the monorail, you should have extended it to uptown. in all this time it probably would be halfway there.

It was a nice ride, but it wasn't something that could be used as mass transportation. I think its design speed was something like 20 mph if that fast. It certainly wasn't handicapped accessable, and it locked people into fairly small cars.

• 1 month later...

I don't ever remember Carowinds being open past Scarowinds at halloween, but it looks as if the park will be open for the Christmas season for something called Winterfest. This is kind of reminiscent of the days when PTL across the highway from Carowinds would draw hundreds of thousands of visitors at Christmas to see their decorations. (especially the lights)

This is the writeup I saw about it.

This winter, Paramount

i went to carowinds this past sat. (1st time in 10 years). i was wondering the same thing about their closing dates. i never remembered them being open past halloween. that said, saturday was beautiful... they had most of the water rides going. i even made the mistake of riding "white water falls". @ the end of the day, as we were leaving i overheard a front gate employee say that sat. attendance set the record. all i know is there was an a__load of people. also, when we left they were blowing fake snow, playing christmas music, and santa was waving to all the kids from the balcony of the front gate. they were certainly pushing the "winterfest" thing pretty hard.

I've never really had a pleasant experience at Carowinds. The staff is always unfriendly. There are too many kids working there that only care about a paycheck and little else. Customer service and friendliness are the least of their concerns.

I think Dollywood is a better place to visit for the Christmas season. Most of their rides are functioning. And best of all, the employees are actually happy to see you (or at least act like they are).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't ever remember Carowinds being open past Scarowinds at halloween, but it looks as if the park will be open for the Christmas season for something called Winterfest. This is kind of reminiscent of the days when PTL across the highway from Carowinds would draw hundreds of thousands of visitors at Christmas to see their decorations. (especially the lights)

Carowinds tried "Winterfest" once before in 1983, but it wasn't very successful so they didn't attempt it again.

Dollywood's Christmas celebration blows what Carowinds is trying to do out of the water.

• 1 month later...

Well I guess that means the Klingons will be leaving Carowinds. Hopefully the new owners will restore some of the distinctiveness that was lost when Paramount took it over and put it's bland corporate stamp on it. I realy hope this isn't a move to tear down the park and put something else there instead.