Carowinds

monsoon

I think Carowinds has done pretty well in regards to how they incorporate their newer coasters into the park. Top Gun is great to walk around - it even goes underneath the path. Same with the flying one they built recently at the front of the park. I've been to a few parks around the country and have to say Carowinds probably is the best at fitting a ride into the park. The worst is probably Six Flags Great America near Chicago - they just throw rides on top of existing parking lot and call it a day!

Busch Gardens Europe (Williamsburg) is by far the best park I've ever been to for the reason you mention- all the rides fit together and on the topography just beautifully. A lot of thought goes into the layout, they don't just swap coasters around with a fresh coat of paint.

Busch Gardens Europe (Williamsburg) is by far the best park I've ever been to for the reason you mention- all the rides fit together and on the topography just beautifully. A lot of thought goes into the layout, they don't just swap coasters around with a fresh coat of paint.

that is very true, and its arguably the most overall beautiful theme park in the country (not like i've been to them all, but hey, lots of coaster buffs tend to agree). but for a smaller park, Carowinds does deserve a lot of credit for the way it has integrated its rides.

disappointed in this year's new boomerang coaster (ie transplanted & repainted, i forget from which park), they're dime-a-dozen and a pretty jolty brief ride. i hope that 200+ rumor is true.

From what I know, Cedar Fair bought the whole Paramount chain. They also bought a couple other Six Flags parks. If anybody knows different please add in. I know CF (Cedar Fair) bought some park in Ohio and then they started divining up the rides - a big roller coaster went to King's Dominion which was another Paramount park. Carowinds kinda got some leftovers and got what enthusiasts call a boomerang coaster (it's true, I am an ACE enthusiast). I have heard rumors about next season, and I do know a few that work in the park that REALLY know what's going on. Without divulging any info that might get me in trouble I will say - be ready for 2010. Something HUGE is coming to Carowinds that will blow anything that they have out of the water. Quote me on that. No one will be disappointed about the log flume when they see what is taking its place.

Quick edit: I know there are some Carowinds enthusiasts on here, and here is something you might not have known. My wife worked with the wife of one of the VP's at Carowinds several years ago. If you were ever in the park and ran into a guy named Jerry sweeping garbage in a suit you might know him. He has since retired, however when he was working there shortly after Magic Mountain in California built Superman (for non-enthusiasts it is a 400ft. ride), they actually considered building one that you would enter near the front of the park, then it would go underground and shoot up at Smurf Island (again, anyone familiar with the park will know what I am talking about). Turns out that they did a study and decided that would be too intense for the local patrons and nixed the idea. That was one of the ideas floating around after they built Top Gun a.k.a. Afterburn. Take it for what you will, but that's my story and I sticking to it.

Edited by queensguy06

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly something BIG. Word has it a 200ft+ coaster. Knowing Cedar Fair, that's very probable.

Anyone see the uncanny resemblance in the photo below?

The park, which is now under ownership of Cedar Fair, has already sent out bidding on a major roller coaster which is believed to overtake this plot of land where the Powder Keg ride has been for 2010. Keep in mind the new coaster they received this year , whether it is successful or not, is nothing more than a used boomerang coaster, which is the equivalent of a mass produced WalMart store, likely just to get a new shot in this park. The real ride will be arriving soon, which will likely be something original or custom on the lines of Top Gun / Afterburner I think it's called now, which is ironically the last custom build coaster seen in Carowinds (1999). Typically rides are dismantled now a days due to replacement rides- not because of the upkeep. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets replaced and updated in the back water park in a few years anyway. Here's a photo shot from a bidding website "Plans-Online.com". It's rumored to be a hypercoaster (200+ft) as this is the trend in Cedar Fair parks, however should be conscious there are strict height limits and concerns as this park is in the flight path for CLT.

2009_0129_2010CoasterCapture.jpg

Here's a photo shot from a bidding website "Plans-Online.com". It's rumored to be a hypercoaster (200+ft) as this is the trend in Cedar Fair parks, however should be conscious there are strict height limits and concerns as this park is in the flight path for CLT.

2009_0129_2010CoasterCapture.jpg

I will confess that I have seen the plans for the 2010 coaster but cannot divulge details. They will be made public soon enough. And Simon & Watson got in trouble with Cedar Fair for posting the term "2010 Coaster" on the plans online site and that was removed. They should have coded it with anything other than the word "coaster". Duhhh..... Cedar Fair is very secretive about their new coming attractions.

You mention the strict height limits due to the flight path. The skytower is 340ft high, so I assume you mean we won't be seeing a 400ft+ at Carowinds. I'll settle for 200ft any day though. Although I have ridden the 400ft Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point and would love to see something like that at the park one day...

Major, major updates and additions to my Early Years site for those interested.

Added park brochures here.

More White Lightnin' here.

Cyclone opening year photos here.

More cable skyway photos here.

many more photos too. :)

OK, I just did something on my Early Years site I have never done. I added 2 music files in the mp3.

Now, I may need some feedback (pm's would be fine) on whether or not there are problems with them playing on your computer. With PC's and Mac's and a variety of music players out there, I am wondering if the average user will be able to play these or will they have to download Quicktime. Any advice will be helpful.

The link is:

http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/songs.html

thanks!

It's rumored to be a hypercoaster (200+ft) as this is the trend in Cedar Fair parks, however should be conscious there are strict height limits and concerns as this park is in the flight path for CLT.

I'm pretty sure the height restrictions for the airport don't go that far south.

I do remember reading they did have that issue trying to get the observation tower up but they just rerouted it away.

Hmm. That tower was built years before the current Charlotte airport was built and a hub established here. It was built by Eastern Airlines, the largest airline in the South at the time. If you look at old photos of the tower, you can see their logo and wording on it.

Hmm. That tower was built years before the current Charlotte airport was built and a hub established here. It was built by Eastern Airlines, the largest airline in the South at the time. If you look at old photos of the tower, you can see their logo and wording on it.

I was talkin about the Carowinds tower the airport built that?

I was talkin about the Carowinds tower the airport built that?

I am talking about the observation tower at Carowinds. The one with the round donut shaped vehicle that travels up the tower and then rotates when it is at the top. That tower was built by Eastern Airlines.

I am talking about the observation tower at Carowinds. The one with the round donut shaped vehicle that travels up the tower and then rotates when it is at the top. That tower was built by Eastern Airlines.

Yep that's what I was talking about that's pretty interesting that it was them that built that. :shades:

RHJames, look at it this way. I will finally be going to the park next year after a 4 year absence! :whistling:

It will stretch from the front of the park where the flume was, to the back of the park (bordering the parking lot). This area is already marked off at the park, so I am not disclosing anything that a 1st grader couldn't figure out. I am forbidden to disclose any details other than what is obvious at this point. And yes, Simon & Watson already disclosed (in great error I may add) that the "2010 coaster" blueprints were on line. Cedar Fair wasn't too happy about that. Just luck I have a friend in the contracting business and I happen to catch a glance at the prints.

The park will be making an announcement within the next month or so I am told.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co, who owns Carowinds, announced on Monday that they are purchasing 61 acres of property next to Carowinds. They haven't released anything in terms of what they plan to do. But this could signal a major expansion at the amusement park in terms of hotels, camp grounds, new rides, etc. The park is currently 337 acres prior to the land acquisition.

• 3 weeks later...

on the bright side, they are putting this ride in the middle of the park, so it won't be part of what's occupying the new acreage they purchased.  Also, Kings Island, Knotts Berry Farm, and Cedar Point (to name a few) already have this exact same ride by the same name.  I wish Cedar Fair would give Carowinds something original.  Our version of the Intimidator is 73 feet shorter than the one in Kings Dominion -- which, btw, I would have loved to have been on during the earthquake)

• 2 years later...

Cedar Fair announced a whopping $50 million expansion of Carowinds today. No details just yet, but it sounds like good things are in store!

(for comparisons sake, Intimidator cost $23 million)

According to the CEO, Carowinds is ready for record breaking attractions. Hopefully he was speaking literally and not figuratively.