Carowinds

monsoon

Given the already compact layout of the park, I think $50 mil probably means a new area with a signature ride, rather than a couple of new rides which there is really no room for. I could see them expanding either into the lightly-used parking lot to the south between Afterburner and the double wooden coaster, or to the west of Carolina Cyclone and Hurler, but that would probably be more expensive getting rid of some warehouses and being in the midst of a lot of the access roads.

According to the CEO, Carowinds is ready for record breaking attractions. Hopefully he was speaking literally and not figuratively.

Makes sense.  Cedar Point is limited in space due to the penisula that it is on.  Last time I was there it looked like unless they started replacing older rides they're pretty much at capacity for new record breaking rides.  Looking forward to having some bigger coasters at Carowinds.

Don't forget The Hurler/wayne's world, I thought something else changed names as well, but can't remember at the moment.

Nah, it's still The Hurler, but they removed the Wayne's World theming. They no longer have that awesome video where they talk to you in line (not that there's ever a line for that one anymore!). There used to also be Days of Thunder but now its a general "3D Action Theater" with rotating shows every couple of years, I was just talking about coasters earlier.

Edited by nonillogical

The Scooby Doo themed Ghoster Coaster later called the Fairly odd parents coaster had its name changed to something Peanuts related. Also Runaway Reptar (roller coaster) and the Scooby Doo themed haunted house have changed names since Paramount left. These three are more directed to younger kids so they aren't as noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/09/charlotte-city-council-carowinds.html

1 mil in subsidies for the expansion.  I know its city and state government, but why is it that Carowinds gets tax incentives in a snap, yet film, which will not even consider the area without the incentives, is argued over.  I love Carowinds and all the seasonal jobs they create, but they are not going anywhere and will benefit from expansion regardless of incentives.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/09/charlotte-city-council-carowinds.html

1 mil in subsidies for the expansion.  I know its city and state government, but why is it that Carowinds gets tax incentives in a snap, yet film, which will not even consider the area without the incentives, is argued over.  I love Carowinds and all the seasonal jobs they create, but they are not going anywhere and will benefit from expansion regardless of incentives.

Gotta love the fact that we gave money to someone in South Carolina.

I believe the Observer or CBJ mentioned a roller coaster.

Cedar Fair Entertainment, the parent company of Carowinds, plans to build a 300-foot-tall roller coaster – 70 feet taller than the park’s biggest attraction, the Intimidator – according to a closed-session transcript the Charlotte City Council released Wednesday.

The council and Mecklenburg County commissioners voted this week to give Cedar Fair $922,000 in incentives through rebates on property taxes over three years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/18/4323933/new-carowinds-ride-to-be-70-feet.html#.Ujr0E2t5mSM

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I actually spent about 5 hours with the COO late last week... He didn't mention a new roller coaster, but that's good to hear. I didn't want to peg him with too many questions....

Anyways... This is what he did tell me. Most of the money with regards to the $50mil will be spent towards concessions, parking upgrades, new gates, entrance etc... He said the goal for the park is to become a southeast destination park... The park (in it's current state) isn't capable of handling the additional foot traffic that would create and needs to be built out in order for further expansion (ie: new rides etc)..

We're supposedly moving from a middle of the road cedar fair park (of 13) to top tier. Which he did confirm. 

He also hinted that further expansion would include multiple rides and attractions and that $50mil was just the beginning. They have moved their analytics office to Charlotte and he's going to be moving here if that's any indication as to how serious Cedar Fair is.

makes sense from a demo standpoint. especially with the hard rock park's crash and burn, the closest parks are Six Flags Georgia and Dollywood. Just between the Metrolina, Triad, Columbia and Greenville that's an enormous underserved population. Throw in Charleston or the Triangle (who is 3 hrs from Kings Dominon or Busch Gardens) for an even bigger swath of driving visitors.

Gigacoaster. YES. TO. THIS.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/09/charlotte-council-wrestles-carowinds.html?page=all

looking at their map, the paladium and go karts are doomed, as well as "xtreme skylifter." I don't see anyone loosing sleep over those losses. looks like they're making an effort to leave the hurler in tact. 

"thrill zone" is definitely the least aesthetically nice area of the park, I bet the whole thing will get a solid upgrade like the plazas in front of intimidator.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 2

I'm really excited about all of this.  My family has had season passes at Carowinds for the past 3 years.  We've got two young children and the Peanuts kids area is great.  

I do agree though that the concessions need an upgrade (not just facilities but especially management), and that the north side needs to be modernized.  A huge coaster will really boost the park's popularity, based on what The Intimidator did for it.  

On another note - the Windseeker was probably the biggest bust.  It's never busy and it's not a very good ride.  Let alone that it's "broken" several times.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not that exit 49 on 85 needs more traffic, but I'm stunned Cabela's didn't pick the Concord Mills area being that its near the Speedway and already has a ton of retail tourists already.  Maybe there's too much competition from Outdoor World/Bass Pro and all the other major athletics big boxes in the near vicinity.   They must've gotten a hell of a price for that spot.  It's a shame that Charlotte didn't warrant one of their mega-stores.  They can reach upwards of 250k sf and this one is only 97.5k sf.  Not that bigger is necessarily better, just odd.  Still good news that another national retailer is moving into the Charlotte market.