Carowinds

monsoon

Anyone know when we can expect the "announcements" for the cool new stuff at the park?

They've announced the new stuff for 2014 already. New waterslides in the waterpark. Also, new paint jobs on some of the coasters. 2015 will be the big year. A 300+ ft coaster. Should be a nice addition to the parks skyline.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To me, traditional coaster means something with a lift hill (rather than something that is launched), so if that is the case, i HIGHLY doubt it will rise to the level of Kingda Ka. The support structure needed for a lift hill that high is insane. That being said, if we get a 300'+ hypercoaster (please no inversions), something by Intamin or B&M that would be INCREDIBLE. My dad's friend is a super high up exec at Cedar Fair, I will see if I can get info (I doubt).

Edited by Jayvee

Just to remind everyone, BizJournals did confirm plans for the expansion back in Sept for a "Gigacoaster" (300+ ft).  It was supposed to be 1/10 or so in the world

Edit: I think this was the article http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/09/charlotte-council-wrestles-carowinds.html.

Edited by MilZ
  • Like 1

To me, traditional coaster means something with a lift hill (rather than something that is launched), so if that is the case, i HIGHLY doubt it will rise to the level of Kingda Ka. The support structure needed for a lift hill that high is insane. That being said, if we get a 300'+ hypercoaster (please no inversions), something by Intamin or B&M that would be INCREDIBLE. My dad's friend is a super high up exec at Cedar Fair, I will see if I can get info (I doubt).

Why no inversions? I would love a gigacoaster with an inversion or two, and that would make it truly unique and a huge draw! A turn that banks beyond 90 degrees at least is likely. Anyway I am a B&M fan overall but since we already have a B&M Hypercoaster in Intimidator, I'd pull for something a little different by Intamin. Frankly I would love a launch coaster since we don't have one yet but from all the news so far it doesn't sound like that will be the case. 

Why no inversions? I would love a gigacoaster with an inversion or two, and that would make it truly unique and a huge draw! A turn that banks beyond 90 degrees at least is likely. Anyway I am a B&M fan overall but since we already have a B&M Hypercoaster in Intimidator, I'd pull for something a little different by Intamin. Frankly I would love a launch coaster since we don't have one yet but from all the news so far it doesn't sound like that will be the case. 

HA! I only speak of that because my dad for example, can't do inversions, and there really aren't that many incredible thrill rides for those who can't go upsidedown (really Intimidator is about it). We hail from Cleveland and we're totally spoiled by Cedar Point, King's Island and (now defunt) Geauga Lake. Just want something as accessable as possible. And I agree I would rather an Intamin even though B&M is my favorite.

It this thing is legit, we are looking at something in the range of 325 feet.  Almost 100 feet taller than Intimidator, and likely hitting speeds close to 100mph.  Holy crap.

Uhhhhh. I'll believe that when I can ride it. Off to go lookup what is currently the tallest!

edit: Kingda Ka @ Six Flags NJ, 456'

FYI, Kingda Ka isn't a "traditional coaster" but a hypercoaster, shooting up then back down.  This would potentially be the world's tallest traditional, which is currently held by Steel Dragon at 318'.

• Like 1

It this thing is legit, we are looking at something in the range of 325 feet.  Almost 100 feet taller than Intimidator, and likely hitting speeds close to 100mph.  Holy crap.

Id say thats probably a good guess. Let's hope Cedar Fair is still be bitter over Steel Dragon taking that crown from Millenium Force (an INFINITELY better coaster) and is finally taking that crown back.

FYI, Kingda Ka isn't a "traditional coaster" but a hypercoaster, shooting up then back down.  This would potentially be the world's tallest traditional, which is currently held by Steel Dragon at 318'.

Also, it is worth mentioning Cedar Fair trademarked the name "Fury 325" so I think 325ft is a good guess (also goes with the Intimidator 305 theme). It has been speculated (and probably good speculation) that this will be a companion coaster to Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland. Now, people will say it is too similar to Intimidator, and to that I will say, Canada's Wonderland has Leviathan and Behemoth, basically it would be the same scenario as Intimidator and Fury 325. Having been to Canada's Wonderland, I will say I am totally on board, both Leviathan and Behemoth are INCREDIBLE coasters regardless of how similar they are. I can almost guarantee this will be B&M.

For the record Leviathan is 306ft and 92mph

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

re: Roller coaster, Hyper coaster, Giga coaster...

You say tomato, I say tomato. Don't really see the difference in something you strap into and go high/fast.

I think it is kinda like skyscraper designations.  Supertall vs Megatall based on respective heights.  Or maybe it's just completely arbitrary, I'm actually not sure.