Carowinds

monsoon

I think it is kinda like skyscraper designations.  Supertall vs Megatall based on respective heights.  Or maybe it's just completely arbitrary, I'm actually not sure.

Back when I was really up on such things, the definitions were

Hypercoaster = 200-299 ft

Gigacoaster = 300-399 ft

Stratacoaster = 400+ ft

Generally these have no traditional inversions although a lot have overbanked turns, not sure if thats really part of the definition though. They also only refer to complete circuit coasters whether thats a launch or a lift hill, no shuttle or back-and-forth type coasters. 

• Like 1

Interesting bit of information about Cedar Fair and Carowinds out of a news channel in Seattle of all places...

Carowinds, which straddles the Carolinas, is in the beginning of a $50 million expansion over the next several years. The company also is trying to attract an outside party to operate a hotel near the park.

"It won't happen in my lifetime," Ouimet said. "But Carowinds could become the Cedar Point of the South."

http://www.komonews.com/news/business/Theme-park-CEO-says-job-is-about-making-memories-266454561.html

• 2 weeks later...

It's all I could do to ride intimidator and I doubt I'll ride it again. I'll take a pass on this newest coaster. I don't ride Thunder Road or the Hurler neither. I'm a sissy when it comes to roller coaster.

But I'm so excited for this new roller coaster :) this was a wise investment (our tax dollars are rooting the bill for most of this I think) and will draw even more tourist to Charlotte.

It's all I could do to ride intimidator and I doubt I'll ride it again. I'll take a pass on this newest coaster. I don't ride Thunder Road or the Hurler neither. I'm a sissy when it comes to roller coaster.

But I'm so excited for this new roller coaster :) this was a wise investment (our tax dollars are rooting the bill for most of this I think) and will draw even more tourist to Charlotte.

The Intimidator is one of the best coasters I have ever ridden. I think I rode it 3 or 4 times the last time I was there. I would love to ride another coaster with that much exhilaration! Even though there are no inversions, the speed and the angle of descent on that first incline is just crazy. My wife, however, would disagree...after the first ride, the rest were on my own while she waited (luckily there was no line at all, so she didn't have to wait long).

You guys are going to LOVE this coaster, details will be out before you know it. It is an amazing coaster.

I guess all I'd need to know is how accurate was that No Limits simulation posted above? I'd be glad to have it, though I still would find it weird for the park's 2 most recent coasters to be B&M hyper/giga coasters, even if one is centered more on airtime hills (Intimidator) and one more on high speed turns (2015). There are a lot of exciting coaster types that Carowinds doesn't have yet...launched, 4D, vert drop, etc. 

Edited by nonillogical

I guess all I'd need to know is how accurate was that No Limits simulation posted above? I'd be glad to have it, though I still would find it weird for the park's 2 most recent coasters to be B&M hyper/giga coasters, even if one is centered more on airtime hills (Intimidator) and one more on high speed turns (2015). There are a lot of exciting coaster types that Carowinds doesn't have yet...launched, 4D, vert drop, etc. 

While I agree that I wish we had more coaster types (a nice wood/steel hybrid would be awesome), look to Canada's Wonderland, that is Cedar Fair's most successful park and they have 2 B&M hyper/giga coasters. Following their model, and just trust me, this coaster will be awesome. Wish I could divulge info, now I know what it feels like when some of you know about buildings and projects and can't say anything.

A 4D coaster? One that travels through time?

The seats hang over the side of the track and have their own axis of movement, able to spin forward/backward as controlled by 2 extra rails in the track. For all I know they might be a nightmare to build and maintain hence there not being that many, but I'd love to ride one eventually. 

The seats hang over the side of the track and have their own axis of movement, able to spin forward/backward as controlled by 2 extra rails in the track. For all I know they might be a nightmare to build and maintain hence there not being that many, but I'd love to ride one eventually. 

They are not bad, but the problem I have with them is the same problem I have with winged coasters: speed. They are SOOO slow it detracts from the ride experience. GateKeeper @ Cedar Point looks fancy and cool, but overall its not that fun. Millenium Force, Magnum, Raptor, Maverick and Top Thrill are all better coasters at that park.

• 3 weeks later...

How do these new clues fit in with the "Rome Wasn't Built In a Day" banner? I'm not seeing the connection...

It will be the biggest roller coaster in the park. Rome was the biggest in its time.

The lightening part probably has to do with its name?