Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

Isn't the Chrysler going to expand?

I know that sometime ago that they bought the nearby bank building adjacent to the southside of the museum! I think that they are going to move their admin. offices to the building so to have a little more room for exibits!

Anyone heard anything new about this?

Nothing new, only what you just said. What I'm REALLY excited about is the idea/plan for creating a pedestrian mall between the Chrysler and the Harrison Opera House. That area needs some serious rethinking and I think the mall idea would be amazing. Anybody heard anything about that?

On the same note, weren't they supposed to be starting the pedestrian extension of Granby St between the World Trade Center and the Customshouse a while ago?

• 1 month later...

City to give partial refund for Broadway series

City officials are expected to announce today that they will refund a portion of subscriptions purchased for the ill-fated Broadway at Chrysler season and that they hope to save what is left of the rest of the series. A production of "Cabaret" was supposed to open next week at Chrysler Hall, but apparently won't, city officials were told in private by John Rhamstine, who supervises Chrysler Hall and other venues for the city. It would be the latest in a series of changes or delays in the schedule.

Norfolk will produce three Broadway at Chrysler shows itself

An interesting turn of events... I sure hope Norfolk is able to replace Baci with a reliable producer soon. As much as those shows aren't really my cup of tea, I know they are for a lot of people and it would be a shame if Norfolk takes the blame for not being able to present these shows.

The collapse of a subscription season is a poor reflection on showbiz in general.

To counter the Baci cancellations at Richmond's Landmark Theatre, local Equity companies are offering one ticket per subscriber to "Brooklyn Boy", "Intimate Apparel" or "Into the Woods" at Barksdale's Willow Lawn Playhouse. Or "Smoke on the Mountain", "The Odd Couple" or "Deathtrap" at Barksdale's Hanover Tavern Theatre. Another option is one ticket per subscriber for "The Wizard of Oz" at The Empire Theatre.

Tickets are on an "as available" basis. Proof of subscription to Baci shows is required.

The Baci subscription list at The Landmark totaled about 7000 disgruntled ticket holders. But it is unlikely Richmond will follow Norfolk's plan to ease the pain.

Edited by burt

Well, at least it's not just Norfolk...as though sharing misfortune makes it any better! I just worry that people will look at Baci's inability to follow through on their season and say "Oh I always knew Norfolk (or Richmond, or wherever) was no real player when it comes to the arts - this proves it."

Well, at least it's not just Norfolk...as though sharing misfortune makes it any better! I just worry that people will look at Baci's inability to follow through on their season and say "Oh I always knew Norfolk (or Richmond, or wherever) was no real player when it comes to the arts - this proves it."

You only need to look at the Virginia Arts Festival in Norfolk/Vs. Beach area to see that's not true.

I don't think people will say that. This had nothing to do with ticket sales or the ability of our market. Baci is simply a mismanaged company.

NorVa's brand new sister operation in Richmond is moving apace.

The National Theatre (dubbed "The Nat" by some) is scheduled to open on September 7th with Widespread Panic.

Also, Toad's Place says it will open June 16th with a group called The Waybacks.

Edited by burt

• 3 months later...

Bayou Boogaloo just hours away!

Great food and entertainment. Blues Traveler, Buckwheat Zydeco, Cowboy Mouth, Terrence Simien, Little Feat, Trombone Shorty, et.c etc. Plus alligator on a stick, craw fish, jumbalaya, square donuts, and more. And a little Turbo Dog to wash it down.

• 2 months later...

I hope that his jazz club does well, and does not turn out to be one of the typical places in Norfolk. I am sick of these places around town that are full of these smokers that listen to music (that is loud and does not sound like anything) eating food that reviews call great but really taste awful.

The bands (so I heard) would be booked by Jae Sinnett, so there should be some great acts there, both local and other. The food? Who knows? It will probably be "heart healthy" and smoking will probably be discouraged somehow, or at least I hope so. I'm definitely checking it out.

Jae Sinnett's book it. That's promising. He is a fabulous drummer! His band is great. Get John Toomey's Trio in there, Woody Brecker, Jae's band. Bring back the Jazz scene in Norfolk. There used to be one around Colley and 21st. The Maxx booked jazz, a couple restuarants on 21st., The New Belmont. But, it fizzled over the past years.

Speaking of bassists, do you know Chris Bridge. He usually is John Toomey's bassist. He really bad a$$ on the upright. He and I went to ODU.

Yes, another fine player. Maybe we need a music and art thread? I'd like to hear you play. I'm pretty much "retired" and I'm more of an eclectic musician, but I do get a lot out of jazz and classical, and I make cds of my own stuff now and then. I perform a few times a year.

Yes, another fine player. Maybe we need a music and art thread? I'd like to hear you play. I'm pretty much "retired" and I'm more of an eclectic musician, but I do get a lot out of jazz and classical, and I make cds of my own stuff now and then. I perform a few times a year.

Speaking of music, Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello are coming to ODU. I believe they will be performing separately, but likely will play together as well. Both have ties to Roy Orbison.